The Most Lightweight Dish?

Old July 10th 03, 01:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky
Stephen

Default The Most Lightweight Dish?

Does anyone know what is the most Lightweight dish on the market?
I need help because I am in an extremely difficult situation for erecting a
dish, but NTL say they have shelved all plans for Digital Cable in my area,
Westminster. My windows are only North facing, and I would be in breach of
my lease if I attach a dish to any part of the exterior of my block, but I
AM on the top floor and the roof is flat.
About the only thing I can think of which I could get away with would be a
very lightweight dish mounted on a pole which I could stick out of my window
to look back over the roof. There do appear to be some very small dishes on
the market, such as the 30 cm from www.digicams-uk.com/category20_1.htm,
which claim to work as well as the standard "Mini-Dish", but even this would
be too heavy and too visible for me to use. I just wish that all you had to
do was point the LNB at the satellite - I could manage that!
What about a "Feed Horn"? It might work for me if it was possible to get a
lightweight metal foil feed horn with the same capture area as a 30cm dish
to concentrate the signal into the LNB, which I could then possibly get to
work on the end of a pole.
Does anyone know if any such thing exists?

Old July 10th 03, 03:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky
Lawrence Rust

"Stephen" wrote...
Does anyone know what is the most Lightweight dish on the market?
I need help because I am in an extremely difficult situation for erecting

dish, but NTL say they have shelved all plans for Digital Cable in my

area,
Westminster. My windows are only North facing, and I would be in breach of
my lease if I attach a dish to any part of the exterior of my block, but I
AM on the top floor and the roof is flat.

This may sound daft, but if you have a south-south-east facing window and a
clear view of the sky (elevation 25 degrees) then you could try mounting the
dish indoors! The attenuation through window glass is not too great so you
should get away with a standard minidish.

On occasion, for testing, I have set a dish up indoors with reasonable
success. Even the odd feline in front of the LNB didn't seem to make much
difference. The only problems are lack of space, aesthetics and the odd
knock upsetting aim.

- Lawrence Rust

Old July 10th 03, 06:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky
JG

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

Have a look at:-
http://europa.eu.int/comm/internal_m...antenna_en.htm

and the .pdf file linked on the same page.

You could try asking about a communal dish (as the EU document suggests). If
the leaseholders won't discuss such options, then their clause would probably be
in conflict with EU law and therefore difficult to enforce.

You could ask a neighbour (on the south side) about a shared dish (using a twin
LNB).

If the lease mentions "dish" you could get a flat antenna instead e.g from
Galaxis.

Ciao
JG

Old July 10th 03, 06:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Wrightsaerials

I reckon you could put a Sky minidish on a length of aerial mast, if the roof
isn't too high above the window. Possibly you could make a seating for the base
of the mast on the external sill, and devise some sort of fixing near the top
of the window. This could be a bracket held by crab clamps or something. You'd
have to be a dedicated Sky viewer though, to rig the damned thing up each
evening.
Bill

Laugh at our Rogue's Gallery
Admire the antiquities in Albert's Attic
Marvel at our breathtaking Aerial Photography
All anoraks MUST visit
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/index.html
Old July 10th 03, 06:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky
Dave

Stephen writes
Does anyone know what is the most Lightweight dish on the market?

Kylie Minogue? ;-)

(Sorry couldn't resist it!)

--
Dave
Old July 14th 03, 11:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky
Martin Pickering {UK}

In article ,
"Stephen" wrote:

Does anyone know what is the most Lightweight dish on the market?

Yes, our Kerstan mini mobile dish is just 30cm in diameter and works fine
in southern England but it's NOT cheap. It can be pole mounted.

Martin Pickering
http://www.satcure.co.uk