itvdigital box - any way of manually tuning channels in?

Old July 8th 03, 02:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[neil]

Default itvdigital box - any way of manually tuning channels in?

Hi all,

I just cadged an itvdigital box off a family member who had just upgraded to
$ky, but the itvdigital box can't receive itv!!

I get all the BBC channels, but no others - is there any way of adding them
manually even if the signal strength might not be good enough for the auto
search to find them?

Also, does the auto-update actually work now? I tried it last night and it
said "error"...?

Cheers

Neil

Old July 8th 03, 02:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[neil]

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message
"Auto-update" was for updating the STB's internal software - it looks for
suitable software being broadcast. This won't (ever!) occur again for any
of the ex-ITV Digital STBs - but they will continue to work just fine
with their present software.

ahh well... At least I have a few extra channels, even if they are only BBC
ones :-)

Cheers for the speedy reply

Neil

Old July 8th 03, 03:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy S

With digital TV it's all or nothing, as you have found out. You are getting
the 'all' with the BBC channels, but nothing on ITV (and possibly the
others). As you can receive the BBC multiplex just a slight increase in the
quality of the signal entering the box could 'tip it over the edge' and
allow you reception of the other channels.

I recommend popping along to Argos and picking up one of their cheapo signal
boosters. It might boost your signal enough to make the difference. On the
other hand it might not so if it doesn't at least you have 16 days to take
it back.
--
Andy

Old July 8th 03, 04:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian McIlwrath

[neil] wrote:
: "Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message
: ...
: "Auto-update" was for updating the STB's internal software - it looks for
: suitable software being broadcast. This won't (ever!) occur again for any
: of the ex-ITV Digital STBs - but they will continue to work just fine
: with their present software.

: ahh well... At least I have a few extra channels, even if they are only BBC
: ones :-)

You do realise that Auto-update has nothing to do with the STB tuning? That's
on menu 5 ("Add Channels" and "Store Channels"). Also, if you can locate
the 6 UHF channels used for DTT broadcasts in your particular area, an option
on Menu 7 allows you to see the signal strength and quality for each channel.

Old July 8th 03, 04:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

[neil] wrote:

Don't suppose anyone knows the UHF channels for the West Yorkshire
region do they? Or how I would find them so I could test the signal
strength?

You'll be on Emley Moor, or one of its 4 DTT relays

See
http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/tx_details/tx_north.htm
Old July 8th 03, 05:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[neil]

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
You'll be on Emley Moor, or one of its 4 DTT relays

See
http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/tx_details/tx_north.htm

Ahh yes.. That'll be the Keighley one then (well the aerial seems to be
pointing that way!)...

Funny thing is, the freeview postcode checker says I can't receive it full
stop, and the checker at dtg.org.uk says I should possibly get only the Sky
Travel, News, Sports News and History channels!

So is it worth me sticking a signal-booster on there and trying to find more
channels, or just be happy that I'm getting the BBC channels at all?!

If it did find any extra channels with the booster, I suppose I'd have to
leave the booster on to view those channels - I couldn't just take the
booster off after it had found them, and just make do with slightly worse
picture quality (I keep forgetting it's DIGITAL!)

Sorry for the newbie questions

Neil

Old July 8th 03, 06:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jason Cooper

Don't suppose anyone knows the UHF channels for the West Yorkshire region
do
they? Or how I would find them so I could test the signal strength?

Interesting that you are in West Yorkshire. I am in Leeds and have been
using an old Pace Ondigital box for a few months now. Everything was fine
and I could get all channels. Recently though, the picture started breaking
up on the ITV channels. I tried a retune but now I too am unable to recieve
any ITV at all through my digibox :-(
Anybody any ideas why this might be?

Old July 14th 03, 12:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tony Walton

Brian McIlwrath wrote:

"Auto-update" was for updating the STB's internal software - it looks for
suitable software being broadcast. This won't (ever!) occur again for any
of the ex-ITV Digital STBs - but they will continue to work just fine
with their present software.

Unless you want the games channel (Free2play, is it?) That doesn't work
on my ancient Nokia ITVd box.

--
Tony