Sony KD-32DX150U, video out via scart + scart wiring

Old January 20th 06, 09:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris

Default Sony KD-32DX150U, video out via scart + scart wiring

I have a Sony 32- 50U IDTV and I know that I can get video out from AV3
scart for recording but I'm guessing this is composite only. The
manual is really unhelpful and doesn't mention what video format/s are
output. Does anyone know what my options are? If I have to use
composite I will, but I was hoping to get S Video or RGB with composite
sync out.

Second question, assuming I can get S Video out, how do I wire my scart
plug?

I'm confused about which pins the YC will appear on if it can be
generated from the scart socket. The SCART pinout seems to have pin 19
for luminance output (if not composite), but where's the chroma output
coming from? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

Pin 15 is listed as Chroma but surely that's an input?

Thanks all..!

Old January 20th 06, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris

Chris wrote:
I have a Sony 32- 50U IDTV and I know that I can get video out from AV3
scart for recording but I'm guessing this is composite only. The

snip

Bad form and all that, but reading down the posts in this group I
notice there are already 2 other posters asking about video outputs
from their freeview sets. May I therefore apologise for the lack of
originality of my post, all my posts are copyright of me (c) 2006 and
any similarity to posts either living or dead is purely
coincidental..., etc..

Old January 21st 06, 10:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
mike

Chris wrote

Second question, assuming I can get S Video out, how do I wire my scart
plug?

I'm confused about which pins the YC will appear on if it can be
generated from the scart socket. The SCART pinout seems to have pin 19
for luminance output (if not composite), but where's the chroma output
coming from? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

Pin 15 is listed as Chroma but surely that's an input?

Thanks all..!

Spookily, I've just had to look it up

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/arti...200102_scart.p
hp
(watch the wrap)

Chroma pin 15

lum pin 20

Not solved _my_ problem though :~( - post follows

--

mike
Old January 21st 06, 11:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
mike

mike wrote

Oh Gawd, I've just read your post properly, and looked at the picture, and
it *is* an input.

You may be in as much trouble as I am.

Many apologies.

--

mike
Old January 21st 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Farrance

"Chris" wrote:

I have a Sony 32- 50U IDTV and I know that I can get video out from AV3
scart for recording but I'm guessing this is composite only. The
manual is really unhelpful and doesn't mention what video format/s are
output. Does anyone know what my options are? If I have to use
composite I will, but I was hoping to get S Video or RGB with composite
sync out.

RGB and S-video can only go in *one* direction through a SCART lead
because they have common input and output pins. I think there's also a
SCART pin that is used to switch which direction the signal is going
but I forget how it works. Only composite video has separate input and
output pins and so it can go both ways down the cable at once. I'd
guess that the SCART lead that connects to the VCR would be monitoring
the VCR output, so only composite could go in the other direction.

Second question, assuming I can get S Video out, how do I wire my scart
plug?

If you do figure out how to force the TV into output mode and the VCR
into input mode, then a fully-wired SCART lead will feed the S-video.

I'm confused about which pins the YC will appear on if it can be
generated from the scart socket. The SCART pinout seems to have pin 19
for luminance output (if not composite), but where's the chroma output
coming from? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

Pin 15 is listed as Chroma but surely that's an input?

.... And the output as well. Try googling on "scart pinout".

--
Dave Farrance
Old January 23rd 06, 06:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris

Alan Pemberton wrote:
mike wrote:

Oh Gawd, I've just read your post properly, and looked at the picture, and
it *is* an input.

Pin 20 is always an input (at the socket).
Pin 19 is always an output.

Pins 15, 11 and 7 carry RGB in either direction depending on whether the
socket is an input or an output.

In the case of S-video, luminance is on pin 19 or 20 and chrominance on
Pin 15.

Thanks. Upon further experimentation it turns out the TV will output
composite video only, so for now I've cabled that up, but front
projected on a 60" screen it looks pretty ropey. I'll probably invest
in a new DTT box to serve the projector and will be choosing one which
I know will output RGB+cv sync.