Sony VTX-D800U - s-video output via scart?

Old January 20th 06, 06:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clem Dye

Default Sony VTX-D800U - s-video output via scart?

Could someone who owns a Sony VTX-D800U answer a quick question for me
please - does the unit output s-video via its TV scart? I downloaded the
manual from the Sony website and it makes references to RGB, Y/C and
PAL. I presume Y/C means s-video and PAL composite, but the manual isn't
exactly that clear (to me at least). My RGB scarts are used up, but I do
have an s-video socket up for grabs. Although I could loop through the
VTX-D800U via other kit to the TV for RGB, the box that it would have to
go through seems to screw-up the picture on other kit that I've tried,
so using s-video gets around the problem nicely for me, albeit perhaps
with a slight loss of picture quality.

TIA

Clem

Old January 21st 06, 11:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger R

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:42:14 -0000, "Agamemnon"
wrote:

"Clem Dye" wrote in message
Could someone who owns a Sony VTX-D800U answer a quick question for me
please - does the unit output s-video via its TV scart? I downloaded the

Yes, both of them.

That is rather misleading.
AIUI the OP asked about plugging the D800U scart outputs into s-video
connectors.

Y/C is not user selectable on the VCR scart.

Y/C can be user enabled on the TV scart.

If the D800U TV scart is connected to the s-video front panel
connectors of a recorder the colours are correct.
If the D800U scart connector is swapped over to the VCR connector the
result is wrong colours. (not B&W) (Smartlink on or off.)

The D800U set up menu options for VCR scart are only PAL or Auto.

The D800U manual states that if 'Smartlink' is enabled the VCR scart
will automatically select the best quality picture achievable but the
user cannot determin what this is.

Apparently anything better than composite(PAL) is only enabled if the
VCR or whatever returns an approriate response -is smartlink enabled.

I've tried to get s-video out of the D800U VCR scart but without
success. Presumably I'm not plugging it into the right piece of Sony
kit. What could that be? AFAIK Sony did not retail an s-video VCR in
the UK. I tried a Sony DVD recorder but it doesn't appear to support
'Smartlink', and incidently, also has only one scart (decoder) s-video
enabled.

Roger
Old January 22nd 06, 12:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clem Dye

wrote:

"Clem Dye" wrote in message

[...]

Roger - thanks for the post. I'm a little confused now though. I won't
be using a VCR connection at all. Are you saying that s-video is not
available via the TV scart interface if a scart-to-scart connection is
employed if a VCR with SmartLink isn't connected?

Clem
Old January 22nd 06, 01:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Clem Dye wrote:
Could someone who owns a Sony VTX-D800U answer a quick question for me
please - does the unit output s-video via its TV scart? I downloaded the
manual from the Sony website and it makes references to RGB, Y/C and
PAL. I presume Y/C means s-video and PAL composite, but the manual isn't
exactly that clear (to me at least). My RGB scarts are used up, but I do
have an s-video socket up for grabs. Although I could loop through the
VTX-D800U via other kit to the TV for RGB, the box that it would have to
go through seems to screw-up the picture on other kit that I've tried,
so using s-video gets around the problem nicely for me, albeit perhaps
with a slight loss of picture quality.

Options for TV output are RGB, Y/C, PAL, Auto, selectable via the menu.

Y/C is luminance/chroma so S-Video. Perhaps Panasonic own the S-VHS
standard the name came from so Sony don't like using it? ;-)

FWIW, the second SCART gives the choice of PAL or Auto. Now that's
confusing.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old January 22nd 06, 03:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger R

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:12:23 GMT, Clem Dye wrote:

Roger R wrote:
[...]

No, I'm saying that provided 'Smartlink' is set to 'off' and the TV
output option has been set to Y/C then S-Video is always available
from the TV scart regardless of whatever equipment is connected by any
type of connection to either scart.

Smartlink on/off is a separate option on the setup options menu.

Roger

Old January 22nd 06, 03:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger R

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:32:55 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Clem Dye wrote:
[...]

Apart from the confusion, which I'm inclined to think is intentional -
the idea being to disassotiate from the poor quality composite label -
the choice of PAL or Auto, is a pretty poor selection unless you have
the right peice of Sony gear (with Smartlink) to enable better. And
this Sony box is held to be as good as it gets in set top boxes.

IMO Sony have tried to keep consumers 'down' at composite quality
level as I don't recall any Sony domestic S-Video VCR's and even on
their latest DVD recorders composite inputs predominate.

I find it hard to believe it is a cost consideration, but perhaps
their thinking is clouded by being a copyright holder for a part of
the film industry.

Roger
Old January 22nd 06, 05:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian

Clem Dye wrote:
[...]

Sony always refused to pay for the licence for S-VHS, so of course could not
make machines. They did however, produce at least one Hi8 domestic VCR, that
had S-Video in and out.
--
Adrian A

Old January 22nd 06, 11:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger R

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:06:05 -0000, "Adrian" wrote:

Sony always refused to pay for the licence for S-VHS, so of course could not
make machines. They did however, produce at least one Hi8 domestic VCR, that
had S-Video in and out.

So that's the reason! Unwilling to pay for a rivals technology.

Apart from the Hi 8 recorders you mention it is a pity they did not
fit their ordinary VCR's and now DVDR's with an alternative high
quality I/O such as component or DV - at nominal extra cost.

Roger
Old January 23rd 06, 08:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Malcolm Knight

"Adrian" wrote in message

Sony always refused to pay for the licence for S-VHS, so of course could

not
make machines.

They must have paid for a licence, my 1998 Sony catalogue shows four S-VHS
machines. However I will accept that they chose not to market them to the
domestic consumer.

They did however, produce at least one Hi8 domestic VCR, that
had S-Video in and out.

More than one IIRC but maybe not all at the same time.
--
Malcolm