Reverse SetPal upgrade?

Old January 20th 06, 03:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Smith

Default Reverse SetPal upgrade?

I have an old Labgear SetPal STB. It was the only STB that performed
flawlessly on my weak and varying Freeview signal. After the last (final)
OTA upgrade it became unstable and frequently locked up so I bought a Humax
FOX which works-ish but is struggling with the low signal.

I have read elsewhere in this group that it is possible to access the
engineering menu of the Labgear/SetPal box and revert to an earlier version
of the software? Is this true? If so are there any detailed instructions
anywhere how to do this? The Labgear may be old and ugly and have almost no
'features' but it worked solidly where even the highly rated Humax
struggles.

Regards,

John Smith.

Old January 20th 06, 04:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan

In message , John Smith
wrote
I have an old Labgear SetPal STB. It was the only STB that performed
flawlessly on my weak and varying Freeview signal. After the last (final)
OTA upgrade it became unstable and frequently locked up so I bought a Humax
FOX which works-ish but is struggling with the low signal.

I have read elsewhere in this group that it is possible to access the
engineering menu of the Labgear/SetPal box and revert to an earlier version
of the software? Is this true? If so are there any detailed instructions
anywhere how to do this? The Labgear may be old and ugly and have almost no
'features' but it worked solidly where even the highly rated Humax
struggles.

Go into the engineering screens and revert back to the OAD that was the
one downloaded before the last download

Note: You will not be able to download the latest version if you do
this as the box it is no longer being supported

Engineering screen can be accessed by pressing (on the remote)
Status, Select, Text, Text, Select

The key takes you through the screens
Status exits screens

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old January 22nd 06, 11:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham Moore

John Smith wrote:

I have an old Labgear SetPal STB. It was the only STB that performed
flawlessly on my weak and varying Freeview signal. After the last (final)
OTA upgrade it became unstable and frequently locked up so I bought a Humax
FOX which works-ish but is struggling with the low signal.

I have read elsewhere in this group that it is possible to access the
engineering menu of the Labgear/SetPal box and revert to an earlier version
of the software? Is this true? If so are there any detailed instructions
anywhere how to do this? The Labgear may be old and ugly and have almost no
'features' but it worked solidly where even the highly rated Humax
struggles.

Have you tried it with the MHEG stuff switched off?

My Labgear has become more unstable with the last OTA upgrades (could
make it crash by switching channels quickly). However as soon as I
switch MHEG off it became rock solid again (crashes once a month or so).

FYI, I've also found that I can't have it sit directly on top of my DVD
player otherwise I get what looks like poor signal reception. With an
inch or more separation all is fine (same is true of my in-laws Labgear
and DVD player).

Graham
Old January 23rd 06, 12:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Graham,

If I switch MHEG off won't that mean I won't have teletext etc?

BTW - The fault you describe, crashing when switching between
programmes, was exactly what I was getting. It would take a minute or
more before it came back, I used to wonder what the processor was doing
all that time.

John.