Indoor wideband freeview aerial?

Old January 19th 06, 12:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Wade

Default Indoor wideband freeview aerial?

Bill Wright wrote:

YOUR
OFF
GET
ARSE
FAT

Charming, I'm sure... No need to shout though.

--
Andy
Old January 19th 06, 12:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Andy Wade
writes
Bill Wright wrote:

Yes I do.

I just knew you would.

Let's go back in time even further! Take a look at
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/025028T...963.htm#image2

I remember seeing those in shops...

I've got some Labgear aerial wall charts from the 50s that I'll get
round to scanning some time (when I find my round tuit) for your
collection. Do you remember the Double Diamond? (not Double Diamond,
_the_ Double Diamond...)

Yes.. Theres one or two of they still on Cambridge chimneys..
--
Tony Sayer

Well get yer bleedin camera out and send me some pics!

Old January 19th 06, 12:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mark Carver wrote:
Chris wrote:

you by email if that's ok? Spam trap noted btw.

It's OK !

Thanks, will do. In the meanwhile, can anyone advise whether this
product:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/5343243.htm

.. counts as wideband? It says it is freeview compatible but doesn't
specificallly say wideband.

Yes, it's wideband, in the sense that it works more-or-less as well on one
channel as it does on another. That, I can hear you thinking, begs the
question . . .

Old January 19th 06, 12:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Wade

tony sayer wrote:

Yes.. Theres one or two of they still on Cambridge chimneys..

The amazing thing is how many of the old Labgear UHF aerials are still
to be seen in the city, still doing good service. The ones where the
first director makes a K shape with the driven element, and which have
an almost flat sheet metal reflector - very recognisable.

--
Andy
Old January 19th 06, 01:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote:

YOUR
OFF
GET
ARSE
FAT

Charming, I'm sure... No need to shout though.

--
Andy

Sorry. I got over-excited at the mention of a 1950s Labgear catalogue. I'm
OK now though, I've been and got changed.

Old January 19th 06, 01:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
tony sayer wrote:

Yes.. Theres one or two of they still on Cambridge chimneys..

The amazing thing is how many of the old Labgear UHF aerials are still to
be seen in the city, still doing good service. The ones where the first
director makes a K shape with the driven element, and which have an almost
flat sheet metal reflector - very recognisable.

--
Andy

The ten element version was the first UHF aerial I used in quantity. They
worked just as well as the Antiference or Aerialite equivalent but they were
significantly cheaper. In 1970 I was paying one pound one shilling and
sixpence for them. They were supplied in large boxes of five. They were
pre-assembled, so were very quick and easy. Aged 21 I was buying fifty at a
time to get the price break and filling my dad's shed. The dipole was not
folded; it was about an inch across and was a full wave (I think: longer
than half wave anyway). I think the 'first director' was called a 'matcher'.
I used quite a few of the 18 element ones as well.

If anyone could oblige with a good clear well lit high resolution perfectly
focussed correctly exposed full colour photograph I'd be much obliged. Or a
smudgy one would do.

Old January 19th 06, 07:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Andy Wade

I've got some Labgear aerial wall charts from the 50s that I'll get
round to scanning some time (when I find my round tuit) for your
collection. Do you remember the Double Diamond? (not Double Diamond,
_the_ Double Diamond...)

Yes.. Theres one or two of they still on Cambridge chimneys..

The city of Chichester in Sussex used to have (they might still be there) a
number of homes with aerials consisting of a flat mesh grid, and two circular
loops as the active elements.

What were they, and who made them ? (Rowridge area Grp A)

--
Mark
Old January 19th 06, 11:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Andy Wade

I've got some Labgear aerial wall charts from the 50s that I'll get round
to scanning some time (when I find my round tuit) for your collection.
Do you remember the Double Diamond? (not Double Diamond, _the_ Double
Diamond...)

Yes.. Theres one or two of they still on Cambridge chimneys..

The city of Chichester in Sussex used to have (they might still be there)
a number of homes with aerials consisting of a flat mesh grid, and two
circular loops as the active elements.

What were they, and who made them ? (Rowridge area Grp A)

They were made by the DER/Multibroadcast/Thorn group as a cheap way of
converting renters to BBC2. They ware costed out at six shillings and six
pence. They were wideband and worked quite well if there wasn't a ghosting
problem. The boom (if you can call it that) was thick tube wall half inch
aluminium, and the clamp was a diecast swivel device. At that time firms
like DER had their own riggers.
The same organisation also made the very heavy duty yagis branded as
Telefusion. These were extremely well made made but didn't work very well.
For a number of years DER were fitting these on 6ft 1" masts and the aerial
was so heavy most of the masts snapped.

Old January 19th 06, 10:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Andy Wade
writes
tony sayer wrote:

Yes.. Theres one or two of they still on Cambridge chimneys..

The amazing thing is how many of the old Labgear UHF aerials are still
to be seen in the city, still doing good service. The ones where the
first director makes a K shape with the driven element, and which have
an almost flat sheet metal reflector - very recognisable.

They use to develop a poor contact around where the reflector was
mounted so that in a wind it would course the piccy to flicker a bit.
But that was some while ago haven't been riggin for many a year now...
--
Tony Sayer

Old January 23rd 06, 11:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Wade

Bill Wright wrote:

[Labgear aerials of the 60s & 70s]

The ten element version was the first UHF aerial I used in quantity. They
worked just as well as the Antiference or Aerialite equivalent but they were
significantly cheaper. In 1970 I was paying one pound one shilling and
sixpence for them. They were supplied in large boxes of five. They were
pre-assembled, so were very quick and easy. Aged 21 I was buying fifty at a
time to get the price break and filling my dad's shed. The dipole was not
folded; it was about an inch across and was a full wave (I think: longer
than half wave anyway). I think the 'first director' was called a 'matcher'.
I used quite a few of the 18 element ones as well.

There were many designs, some of eleven elements, some with asymetric
folded dipoles, and various kinds of reflectors. That 'matcher' was a
patented feature, although I remain dubious about whether the angling
really achieved anything, other than allowing the company to stop others
from copying the design.

If anyone could oblige with a good clear well lit high resolution perfectly
focussed correctly exposed full colour photograph I'd be much obliged. Or a
smudgy one would do.

Well, it just so happens that I've got a small collection of never-used
samples preserved in the loft. When we get a bright spring day and I've
nowt else to do I'll get them down and try to oblige, Sir. (What sort
of background would you like - blue sky?) Somewhere I may have a photo
or two of the in-house built machinery they were made on, part of which
involved a multi-spindle drilling jig made with numerous
Black-and-Decker portable drills - very hairy looking and doubtless
pre-dating the '74 HSW Act...

Can you remember when you stopped buying them? Labgear pulled out of
the market sometime around the mid 70s, and sold all the manufacturing
plant to the South African subsidiary (called Colourmatch, believe it or
not). It had certainly all gone when I joined the company in '78; only
indoor aerials were being made then.

--
Andy