Will the bitrate ever improve on most of these channels?

Old January 15th 06, 08:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Deep Thought

Default Will the bitrate ever improve on most of these channels?

As I am sure has been discussed many times there is quite a variation in
picture quality between some channels which is not a signal strength issue
but case of the broadcaster strangling the channels in order to squeeze more
into a particular MUX.. is this EVER going to improve? The prospect of
having to live with the lack of definition and detail on many of the DTV
channels as they are now is depressing, considering that many do not even
come close to what were high quality analogue pictures before.
If this is as good as it gets then we have all been sold a pup.

Old January 15th 06, 08:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Deep Thought
writes
As I am sure has been discussed many times there is quite a variation in
picture quality between some channels which is not a signal strength issue
but case of the broadcaster strangling the channels in order to squeeze more
into a particular MUX.. is this EVER going to improve? The prospect of
having to live with the lack of definition and detail on many of the DTV
channels as they are now is depressing, considering that many do not even
come close to what were high quality analogue pictures before.
If this is as good as it gets then we have all been sold a pup.

I reckon not, but I hope I am wrong.......
--
Tony Sayer

Old January 15th 06, 09:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Charlie Pearce

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:21:31 -0000, "Deep Thought"
wrote:

As I am sure has been discussed many times there is quite a variation in
picture quality between some channels which is not a signal strength issue
but case of the broadcaster strangling the channels in order to squeeze more
into a particular MUX.. is this EVER going to improve? The prospect of
having to live with the lack of definition and detail on many of the DTV
channels as they are now is depressing, considering that many do not even
come close to what were high quality analogue pictures before.
If this is as good as it gets then we have all been sold a pup.

Er - which channels?

Charlie
--
Remove NO-SPOO-PLEASE from my email address to reply
Please send no unsolicited email or foodstuffs
Old January 15th 06, 09:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"Deep Thought" wrote in message

If this is as good as it gets then we have all been sold a pup.

I think this is the best you will get.
It will stay like this or get worse.
Its quantity rather than quaulity
--
Regards
David

Please reply to News Group

Old January 15th 06, 10:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Actually the resolution of an MPEG2 compressed signal
is independant of the bitrate.
If there is insufficient bitrate there will be pixelation and
"Blocking" but the resolution or sharpness of the signal
will not be less.
If the signal isn't sharp the compresion cannot be at
the full 720 pixel horizontal resolution and is at 540 or
less.

Old January 16th 06, 01:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

wrote in message
ups.com...
Actually the resolution of an MPEG2 compressed signal
is independant of the bitrate.
If there is insufficient bitrate there will be pixelation and
"Blocking" but the resolution or sharpness of the signal
will not be less.
If the signal isn't sharp the compresion cannot be at
the full 720 pixel horizontal resolution and is at 540 or
less.

I think this needs clarification. The most annoying thing is the 'cloud of
midges' effect around text. Could someone please explain exactly what causes
that and how it is related to bitrates?

Old January 16th 06, 02:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Porcella

If HDTV ever reaches DTT, then yes.

--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella

Old January 16th 06, 09:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Green

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
Actually the resolution of an MPEG2 compressed signal
is independant of the bitrate.
If there is insufficient bitrate there will be pixelation and
"Blocking" but the resolution or sharpness of the signal
will not be less.
If the signal isn't sharp the compresion cannot be at
the full 720 pixel horizontal resolution and is at 540 or
less.

I think this needs clarification. The most annoying thing is the 'cloud of
midges' effect around text. Could someone please explain exactly what
causes that and how it is related to bitrates?

Bill

Hi Bill,

a fair number of the channels on DTT are not 720x576, they are 544x576. They
include E4, More4 (but not +1 versions), ITV2, ITV3, ITV4. I think all the
TUTV channels are the same along with some of the shopping channels.

The midge/mosquito effect is down to just low bitrate I guess. LCD seems to
show it up more than CRT displays.

Cheers

Steve

Old January 16th 06, 10:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Zoidberg

Deep Thought wrote:
As I am sure has been discussed many times there is quite a variation
in picture quality between some channels which is not a signal
strength issue but case of the broadcaster strangling the channels in
order to squeeze more into a particular MUX.. is this EVER going to
improve?

With the current amount of bandwidth there is no chance that some channels
will be dropped just to improve the bitrate on others.

When analogue is turned off there will be the option to introduce new
channels , improve the bitrate on existing ones or a combination of both.

Your (and everyone else's) best bet is to make your views known in advance
to those who make the decisions

--
Alex

Sig on old laptop - new one coming soon.
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk