Sky Installation

Old November 7th 05, 04:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Edward Holt

Default Sky Installation

A friend of mine lives in an area where he can only get satellite TV.
Can he get Sky installed, subscribe for a year, then cancel his
subscription and still be able to watch the free to air programs that Sky
transmit without having to pay anything?

Old November 7th 05, 05:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian

Edward Holt wrote:
A friend of mine lives in an area where he can only get satellite TV.
Can he get Sky installed, subscribe for a year, then cancel his
subscription and still be able to watch the free to air programs that
Sky transmit without having to pay anything?

He could do that, alternatively he could get freesat from Sky, for a one off
fee of 150, or buy a second hand box and have a dish installed, then pay
20 for a card.

Without a card, your friend would be still able to receive, all the BBC and
ITV channels, you would still need a card, but no subscription, for Channel
4, five and Sky3.
--
Adrian A

Old November 7th 05, 05:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Edward Holt

"Adrian" wrote in message
Edward Holt wrote:
A friend of mine lives in an area where he can only get satellite TV.
Can he get Sky installed, subscribe for a year, then cancel his
subscription and still be able to watch the free to air programs that
Sky transmit without having to pay anything?

He could do that, alternatively he could get freesat from Sky, for a one
off
fee of 150, or buy a second hand box and have a dish installed, then pay
20 for a card.

Without a card, your friend would be still able to receive, all the BBC
and
ITV channels, you would still need a card, but no subscription, for
Channel
4, five and Sky3.
--
Adrian A

Cheers guys - most interesting!

Old November 7th 05, 05:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
dylan

Without a card, your friend would be still able to receive, all the BBC
and
ITV channels, you would still need a card, but no subscription, for
Channel
4, five and Sky3.

I thought ITV only go free-to-air next year sometime, until then you need a
card ?

Old November 7th 05, 05:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Patrick

I thought ITV only go free-to-air next year sometime, until then you need

card ?

No they went FTA last week more or less at the same time or a few days
before ITV4 was launched, can't remeber precisley when they went FTA but
they are now FTA.

Old November 7th 05, 06:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare

"Adrian" wrote in message
Edward Holt wrote:
A friend of mine lives in an area where he can only get satellite TV.
Can he get Sky installed, subscribe for a year, then cancel his
subscription and still be able to watch the free to air programs that
Sky transmit without having to pay anything?

He could do that, alternatively he could get freesat from Sky, for a one off
fee of 150, or buy a second hand box and have a dish installed, then pay
20 for a card.

1 years subscription at 15/month, 1/2/ price for 1st 3 months is 157.50
(Either way you need a phone connection.)
(Installing a dish is a practical DIY job.)

Old November 7th 05, 06:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 17:50:43 -0000, "Edward Holt"
wrote:

| A friend of mine lives in an area where he can only get satellite TV.
| Can he get Sky installed, subscribe for a year, then cancel his
| subscription and still be able to watch the free to air programs that Sky
| transmit without having to pay anything?

Yes

Freesatfromsky is an option which costs GBP20 for a card. See sig

If he waits till next year for *real* freesat all the BBC and ITV Channels
should be available using a generic STB.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/4221722.stm
Hopefully Ch4 and Ch5 will follow the Beeb and ITV

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sat Ch4, Ch5, only GBP20
http://www.freesatfromsky.com - "what is freesat?" - "view T&C" -
Old November 7th 05, 07:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Cartmell

In article , Michael Chare
wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
Edward Holt wrote:
A friend of mine lives in an area where he can only get satellite TV.
Can he get Sky installed, subscribe for a year, then cancel his
subscription and still be able to watch the free to air programs that
Sky transmit without having to pay anything?

He could do that, alternatively he could get freesat from Sky, for a one
off fee of 150, or buy a second hand box and have a dish installed, then
pay 20 for a card.

1 years subscription at 15/month, 1/2/ price for 1st 3 months is 157.50
(Either way you need a phone connection.)

You don't need a phone connection for their one off option.

(Installing a dish is a practical DIY job.)

Without a card, your friend would be still able to receive, all the BBC
and ITV channels, you would still need a card, but no subscription, for
Channel 4, five and Sky3.

--
John Cartmell [email protected] followed by finnybank.com 0845 006 8822

Old November 7th 05, 07:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian

John Patrick wrote:
I thought ITV only go free-to-air next year sometime, until then you
need a card ?

No they went FTA last week more or less at the same time or a few days
before ITV4 was launched, can't remeber precisley when they went FTA
but they are now FTA.

AFAIK it was 1st November.
--
Adrian A