Nebula Framerates

Old July 6th 03, 12:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tom

Default Nebula Framerates

Hi,

I recently installed the Nebula DigiTV PCI card. Everything is great
with it, as long as I don't do much else while watching the TV. However,
if I then decide to do something like surf the internet while watching
the TV - I begin to get framerate problems in that the framerate drops
to a couple of frames a second, and the lip sync gets completely messed up.

The weird thing is it still has plenty of processor time available. I
have a AMD Athlon XP 2100+, 512mb 2700 DDR RAM, MSI GeForce 4 420 64mb
graphics card, MSI KT4 ultra motherboard, and Sound Blaster Audigy 2
soundcard. So obviously, I fail to understand while it can't do
somehting as simple as surf the internet while watching the TV.

I've looked at the Win XP task manager. While watching the TV alone, the
processor useage rarely goes above 10%. I then tried opening the
internet application (or indeed any other type of application), where
the CPU usage then jumps to about 60% before dropping back down to ~10%.

I have the same problem when using Mozilla or Internet explorer,
although the problem isn't only when using the internet, it can be
anything else like opening windows explorer.

I get my internet connection through a network card - but I've checked
all the settings, and nothing seems to be conflicting. I've also been
through win XP and turned off a few useless features. The problem still
occurs when I've disabled my Zonealarm firewall, and AVG virus scanner.

The problem doesn't happen straight away, it takes about five minutes
before it starts doing this problem. A reboot will normally solve it for
another few minutes.

Have you got any suggestions as to what I could do to stop the framerate
issues?

Thanks,
Tom

Old July 6th 03, 02:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jaime

[...]

In task manager go to processes, select digitv, right click and set it to
above normal (click yes on the warning). If this doesnt work press the i key
when on the digitv window and see what error readings are being produced. I
get around 100 dropped frames per hours on a 2.4ghz p4, not sure why though.

Jaime

Old July 6th 03, 04:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tom

Jaime wrote:

In task manager go to processes, select digitv, right click and set it to
above normal (click yes on the warning). If this doesnt work press the i key
when on the digitv window and see what error readings are being produced. I
get around 100 dropped frames per hours on a 2.4ghz p4, not sure why though.

Jaime

The task manager trick actually seems to have done the trick, Thanks"

I didn't think of this as I already had the high priority set in the
nebula settings. Is it a common problem, likely to be fixed in v3?

Old July 14th 03, 05:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
*

"Jaime" wrote in message
In task manager go to processes, select digitv, right click and set it to
above normal (click yes on the warning). If this doesnt work press the i

key
when on the digitv window and see what error readings are being produced.

get around 100 dropped frames per hours on a 2.4ghz p4, not sure why

though.

Are you saying you're normal watching/recording experience with this card is
that it drops about 100 frames an hour??? Or is it only if you don't make
this adjustment in task manager?

-------------------------
Mark

Old July 16th 03, 05:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jaime

In task manager go to processes, select digitv, right click and set it

above normal (click yes on the warning). If this doesnt work press the i

key
when on the digitv window and see what error readings are being

produced.
get around 100 dropped frames per hours on a 2.4ghz p4, not sure why

though.

Are you saying you're normal watching/recording experience with this card

is
that it drops about 100 frames an hour??? Or is it only if you don't make
this adjustment in task manager?

It does tend to drop this many frames even with a high piority on my setup,
this is with high cpu and disk/bus activity from other s/w and devices. What
does everyone else get?

Jaime

Old July 16th 03, 06:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ronald Marlowe

"Jaime" wrote:

..................... "It does tend to drop this many frames even with a high
piority on my setup, this is with high cpu and disk/bus activity from other
s/w and devices. What does everyone else get?"...................

Zero Dropped Frames. Athlon @ 1.67Ghz/ 512Mb RAM/Windows XP. I always record
in "silent mode" but regularly browse the web whilst recording. I can
simultaneously record with the Nebula, the Nova-t (also in silent mode)and
my DAB radio card - all without any glitches at all.

Sounds as if you have some kind of conflict. Sorry.

Ron.

Old July 16th 03, 06:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jaime

"Ronald Marlowe" wrote in message

"Jaime" wrote:

.................... "It does tend to drop this many frames even with a

high
piority on my setup, this is with high cpu and disk/bus activity from

other
s/w and devices. What does everyone else get?"...................

Zero Dropped Frames. Athlon @ 1.67Ghz/ 512Mb RAM/Windows XP. I always

record
in "silent mode" but regularly browse the web whilst recording. I can
simultaneously record with the Nebula, the Nova-t (also in silent mode)and
my DAB radio card - all without any glitches at all.

Sounds as if you have some kind of conflict. Sorry.

Sorry I am watching live at the same time, as far as I can tell there are
none/very little dropped frames in any recordings made. The dropped frames I
was refering to are the ones the mpeg decoder decides to drop not dropped
frames in recordings.

Jaime

Old July 16th 03, 08:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ronald Marlowe

"Jaime" wrote

Sorry I am watching live at the same time, as far as I can tell there are
none/very little dropped frames in any recordings made. The dropped frames

was refering to are the ones the mpeg decoder decides to drop not dropped
frames in recordings.

Sorry, Jaime, I misunderstood you.

You must be made of sterner stuff than me - I'm only able to do two things
at once! );

Ron.

Old July 16th 03, 10:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jaime

Sorry I am watching live at the same time, as far as I can tell there
are
none/very little dropped frames in any recordings made. The dropped

frames
was refering to are the ones the mpeg decoder decides to drop not

dropped
frames in recordings.

Sorry, Jaime, I misunderstood you.

You must be made of sterner stuff than me - I'm only able to do two things
at once! );

Ron.

Well I tend to switch my atention between things, anyway how do you mange to
tell how many dropped frames your get in recordings, you can see how many
frames the mpeg2 decoder is dropping by pressing the i key.

Jaime

Old July 17th 03, 08:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Darren Wilkinson

reply to chipsuar.chipsuarremove this at charitydays.co.uk
"Jaime" wrote in message

[...]

I haven't checked after an hours worthof tv but it seems to drop 1-2 frames
every 2-3 minutes but it is only evey 1 frames dropped at a time so I can't
see the difference.

I honestly wouldn't notice if it wasn't for pressing the *i* button.