Analogue TV vs DTV Picture Quality -- which is best?

Old April 30th 05, 11:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

Default Analogue TV vs DTV Picture Quality -- which is best?

The reason I'm starting this thread is because of the following comment:

"Ad Maybe you got crap analouge, my analouge is bright, clear and is
far
better than digital and that also means sky as well.

Dominic Shields - No, quite the contrary, people have remarked on what a
good analogue
picture I had in the old days and I haven't removed that aerial, its
just the huge improvement that digital gave me that makes the analogue
look shoddy in comparison."

I don't actually watch analogue TV at the moment because it would mean
unplugging and re-plugging in aerials, so I only watch DTT. I don't
really have a problem with DTT's picture quality, but my recollection is
that analogue TV's picture quality was always better.

So, which do people think is best in terms of picture quality: analogue
TV or DTT?

Find the cheapest Freeview, DAB & MP3 Player Prices:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/fr..._receivers.htm
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...tal_radios.htm
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/mp...rs_1GB-5GB.htm
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/mp...e_capacity.htm

Old April 30th 05, 11:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Loz

"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote in message

I don't actually watch analogue TV at the moment because it would mean
unplugging and re-plugging in aerials, so I only watch DTT. I don't really
have a problem with DTT's picture quality, but my recollection is that
analogue TV's picture quality was always better.

I watch all of my television through the freeview box.

So, which do people think is best in terms of picture quality: analogue TV
or DTT?

On an internal area in a high strength area, digital. No ghosting etc.

Generally I have no complaints with the picture quality on digital, but I do
notice that on some high action screens slight blockiness and jagged edges.
These never existed on analogue.

Old April 30th 05, 11:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , DAB sounds worse
than FM writes
[...]

Deffo analogue, viewed here on an 8 Y/O B&O TV with good clean signals
from Sandy Heath. Even the wife notices the difference, and can tell
them apart very easily. The analogue has better definition, and
infinitely better colour rendering, better on fast action too

DTV is OK in that you can see the picture, if you don't mind a
"representation" of the original picture that is, but its not anywhere
like what she describes "lifelike".

However I can understand where people are coming from when they say
Digital is better then analogue, possibility because their analogue
signal is of some RBR of some other station that is perhaps not that
well fed, and the number of **** poor aerial systems around, and that
there don't seem to be that many colour tellies around that have good
PAL decoders anymore, so not having seen the best of what analogue can
do, they come to that IMHO, erroneous conclusion....
--
Tony Sayer

Old April 30th 05, 11:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
GTS

[...]

Very subjective, but for me digital is better. I was using NTL analogue, and
the quality of that service was degrading. NTL freely admitted that they
were not maintaining or upgrading analogue, so I had started to get ghosting
and poor reception.
Now the choice is a no-brainer, as I have a widescreen TV, and so the only
option is digital - once again a choice of the broadcasters. So on a
widescreen TV it has to be digital. Digital is as good or better than
analogue on slow moving or low detail pictures, but is much worse when there
is a lot of movement or detail. A good example of this was last week's Ray
Mears bushcraft on BBC2 - what should have been stunning scenes of nature
were ruined by the digital broadcasts complete inability to cope with the
moving water, particularly the rapids, resulting in blocky pixelation which
ruined it for me. The blockiness is caused mostly by too-low bitrates - a
subject close to your heart!
Graham

Old April 30th 05, 12:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:

snip

I should state that reception problems on analogue should be ignored,
because they are not problems with picture quality -- they're reception
problems.

Old April 30th 05, 12:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Loz

"GTS" wrote in message

The blockiness is caused mostly by too-low bitrates - a
subject close to your heart!

This is the issue. It's less the technology at fault, but rather choices
that have been made along the way.

Old April 30th 05, 12:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Loz

"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote in message

I should state that reception problems on analogue should be ignored,
because they are not problems with picture quality -- they're reception
problems.

Analogue hands down then in my opinion. But then, how many times more
bandwidth does an analogue television station occupy in comparison to a
digital one?

Old April 30th 05, 12:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Eden

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
So, which do people think is best in terms of picture quality: analogue
TV or DTT?

It's the same argument of CD vs Vinyl.

Vinyl is better if you a diamond tipped 1000 precision motor driven
turntable going through high end speakers. A CD on a 25 system sounds
better than a record on a 25 system. Most people will want to buy
the cheaper system and getter fantastic quality for the price.

I get an excellent analogue BBC1 and, to be honest, the picture quality
vs digital is negligible.

By contrast I have a horrid C4 picture on analogue - but perfect on digital.

So, I have a choice. ~150 for a new aerial and co-ax and all sorts of
anti interference gadgets, or a 40 digibox. No contest.

However, I will agree that on the low bitrate channels (like The Hits
etc) the picture quality looks like a RealVideo stream circa 1998!

Terry
Old April 30th 05, 12:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

GTS wrote:
"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote in message

Very subjective, but for me digital is better. I was using NTL
analogue, and the quality of that service was degrading. NTL freely
admitted that they were not maintaining or upgrading analogue, so I
had started to get ghosting and poor reception.

IMO that's a reception issue, and not a picture quality issue. Picture
or audio quality is the underlying quality of the stream with perfect
reception.

Now the choice is a no-brainer, as I have a widescreen TV, and so the
only option is digital

I realise that widescreen is a drawback for analogue, but what I'm
trying to get at is the actual quality of the picture, not the shape of
it or the reception quality. I should have made this more clear in the
original post.

- once again a choice of the broadcasters. So
on a widescreen TV it has to be digital. Digital is as good or better
than analogue on slow moving or low detail pictures, but is much
worse when there is a lot of movement or detail.

That *is* a picture quality issue.

A good example of
this was last week's Ray Mears bushcraft on BBC2 - what should have
been stunning scenes of nature were ruined by the digital broadcasts
complete inability to cope with the moving water, particularly the
rapids, resulting in blocky pixelation which ruined it for me.

I noticed it was particularly bad when I was watching The Fugitive on
five last week. And when you look at the average bit rate of the file I
recorded then it's not surprising.

The blockiness is caused mostly by too-low bitrates - a subject close
your heart!

Bit rates are a subject close to my heart with regards to digital radio,
but not so much for digital TV, because the audio quality on DAB is
dreadful, whereas I agree with you that the picture quality on digital
TV is usually pretty good for slow or still content. I do think that
with the addition of TUTV and with the forthcoming introduction of new
ITV and C4 channels then the issue of bit rates is going to become more
of an issue on DTT, but I very much doubt the TV broadcasters will ever
descend to the kind of low quality levels that you get on DAB.