Analogue TV vs DTV Picture Quality -- which is best?

Old May 31st 05, 08:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf

Default Analogue TV vs DTV Picture Quality -- which is best?

In article , Adrian
wrote:
Jim Lesurf wrote:
In article , tony sayer

Actually what you **really** need to enjoy the proms is the ability
to stand in the Arena for a couple of hours.

Well, I am not sure I could manage to stand up for that long these
days. So these days I'd probably have to go for a seat. :-)

Reading this thread has made me realise, it was 35 years ago I last
attended the Proms in person. I don't know if I could stand for that
long now.

I'm further down this hill that yourself. I long ago found that standing
was become more obviously a 'high energy' state for me. :-)

Slainte,

Audio Misc http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/index.html
Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html
Barbirolli Soc. http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/JBSoc/JBSoc.html
Old May 31st 05, 08:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf

In article , Roderick
Stewart wrote:
In article , Jim Lesurf wrote:
How much this is due to the poor quality of the sound demodulators,
etc, in TV's I don't know. But the result is that my experience is
that DTTV is capable of better results than Nicam in practice. Afraid
I don't know of any Nicam boxes with a digital output, so can't do a
comparison which is 'fairer' to Nicam. Hence can only base my views
on the experience I have.

My experience with four different NICAM decoders (built into two
recorders and two TV sets), and five different DTTV receivers is quite
the opposite. NICAM sounds better in all cases. This fact, and the fact
that theory would also lead me to expect this to happen, suggests that
maybe there is something wrong with your decoder.

That may well be so. The problem is that the Nicam output from my TV is
only accessible via 'analogue' outputs from the TV. Whereas with DTTV I can
feed S/PDIF from the box to a decent DAC. When listening to Nicam TV in
other people's houses the sound always seems let down by the TV, or by my
being less happy with their audio system. Hence I'd agree that my
experience isn't 'fair' on Nicam as a system. However it is my experience
in that I find DTTV a much better domestic source as it avoids the poor
analogue sections of the TV receiver.

Indeed, thinking about it: Is it not the case that the BBC send the signals
to their FM transmitters using Nicam? I tend to rate the sound quality
of R3 via a good FM tuner very highly. Hence if this comes courtesy of
a Nicam link it indicates that Nicam should be able to deliver excellent
results, and what I hear from TV's tells me more about the TV (or perhaps
some TV sound broadcasting practices!) than about Nicam as such.

Old May 31st 05, 08:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf

In article , Signal
wrote:
"Jim Lesurf" emitted :

However last year I started using a DVD recorder to record the Proms
from BBCTV4. I'd say the sound quality of these perhaps isn't as good
as R3 FM, but is often pretty good, and the ability to watch as well as
listen makes this thorougly enjoyable.

Have you sorted ripping the DVDs, editing, burning on your computer yet?

Not yet. However I am about to buy a new DVD Burner package which will work
with DVD+R/W discs, so hope this is getting closer. :-)

Old May 31st 05, 03:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Jim Lesurf [email protected]
and.demon.co.uk writes
In article , Roderick
Stewart wrote:
In article , Jim Lesurf wrote:
[...]

NICAM 728 is what feeds the FM main stations in the UK and as such is an
excellent source

Some TV NICAM decoders are better then others as are the internal
speakers. Taking to audio outs on our B&O into the Quad ESL63's shows up
whats good and what's not!....

--
Tony Sayer

Old June 1st 05, 11:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf

In article , Signal
wrote:
"Jim Lesurf" emitted :

Have you sorted ripping the DVDs, editing, burning on your computer
yet?

Not yet. However I am about to buy a new DVD Burner package which will
work with DVD+R/W discs, so hope this is getting closer. :-)

Slainte,

Jim

I have some tips for you.. is your email address a genuine one?

Yes. However bear in mind that I do not (normally) use a computer that has
an x86 style CPU, nor do I (normally) use Windows, Mac OS, or Linux as my
OS. Hence the types of software most people use (and a lot of the hardware)
do not function with the computer I use for most of my work.

FWIW The burner software and burner I am about to get will work OK with
'data' DVD+R/W but not currently with video discs. That, I hope, will
appear in due course, but I have no idea when.