no card , no channels

Old July 4th 03, 12:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
D Mumford

Default no card , no channels

If they are not giving out ftv cards , how do you get sky boxes to work,
mine without a card says insert card.
And wont show any channels?

Old July 4th 03, 02:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"D Mumford" wrote in message
If they are not giving out ftv cards , how do you get sky boxes to work,
mine without a card says insert card.
And wont show any channels?

You get Freeview!
You got the box, probably for free, to watch Sky. When you where with SKY
your probably thought that any system to prevent people watching sky without
paying was a good idea, hence the requirement for a valid card for the box
to function. Sky regularly change their securty requiring a new card. Who is
to pay for this so that you can watch? As a sky subscriber I don't I should.
A freeview box owner who has paid for his box won't want to either. Licence
payers who are only watching analog won't want to either.
Perhaps you should start a campaign for a new "sky" light user who only gets
the FTA channels at say 25 a year. The channels are free, it's the cost of
maintaining the Sky box security system which isn't!
P.S. The FTA channels are no longer on satellite via Sky anyway. A general
purpose sat reciever should be able to recieve all unencrpted channels for
free. This isn't what Sky was giving their box's away to do.

Old July 4th 03, 03:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave

John Russell writes
[...]

There are so many things wrong with that posting, I'm not sure where to
start.

--
Dave
Old July 4th 03, 03:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"Dave" wrote in message
John Russell writes
[...]

So it's all wrong!
Why don't you show him how to do it then!

Old July 4th 03, 03:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

John Russell wrote:
"D Mumford" wrote in message
If they are not giving out ftv cards , how do you get sky boxes to
work, mine without a card says insert card.
And wont show any channels?

You get Freeview!

And if you're one of the 25% of the population out of Freeview range ??

You got the box, probably for free, to watch Sky. When you where with
SKY your probably thought that any system to prevent people watching
sky without paying was a good idea, hence the requirement for a valid
card for the box to function.

N,o the FTV card and encryption is to prevent (in theory) anyone outside
the UK from watching the FTV channels. A Sky Subs card is to prevent
anyone outside the UK, and anyone who has not paid, from watching Sky's
pay channels.

Sky regularly change their securty
requiring a new card.

They've done this once in Sky Digital's 4.5 year history

Who is to pay for this so that you can watch?

The BBC paid 80%, C4 and C5 10 ish % each. The Beeb are no longer paying,
C4 and C5 (and ITV) refuse to make up the short fall. Therefore no more
FTV cards

As a sky subscriber I don't I should. A freeview box owner who has
paid for his box won't want to either. Licence payers who are only
watching analog won't want to either.

But they did. See above

P.S. The FTA channels are no longer on satellite via Sky anyway.

What do you mean?
The BBC go FTA next week, and will be viewable on a Sky (or any D-sat) box
CNN, Sky News, and QVC have always been FTA on "Sky D"

general purpose sat reciever should be able to recieve all unencrpted
channels for free.

Yes it will
Old July 4th 03, 03:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Badlad

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
John Russell wrote:
"D Mumford" wrote in message
[...]

How come I dont get c4 and c5 on my sky digi box I bought myself ,
after I stop subscribing to Sky on my second box. ?, obviously I get them
on box in Lounge because I just pay for that but since stopping my second
box subscription in a bedroom I dont get c4 or c5 , thought these where free
to air ?

Old July 4th 03, 04:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

John Russell wrote:
"D Mumford" wrote in message
[...]

It would be interesting to know how the costs are calculated. The card it
self must be a matter of pence.We all know that banks can charge 25 just to
"adminster" sending a letter, so what price for "adminstering" sending a
card? Does sky charge a punitive licence for a third party card to use the
slot? I presume SKY's security system is "active" in the sense that the Sat
itself broadcasts a signal to activate the box/card combination. Sky would
charge an admin cost for this as well!

I think too many forget that only the BBC are paid for by the licence free
and everything else is not paid for by advertising.

Old July 4th 03, 05:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"midnight" wrote in message
"D Mumford" wrote:

If they are not giving out ftv cards , how do you get sky boxes to work,
mine without a card says insert card.

And wont show any channels?

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Type 327
Problem solved!

And to think licence payers money has been funding the FTV cards when all
that was need was three numbers.

Old July 4th 03, 09:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"Dave" wrote in message
John Russell writes
There are so many things wrong with that posting, I'm not sure where to
start.

So it's all wrong!

Yep.

Why don't you show him how to do it then!

Others have posted responses.

--
Dave

No one has responed to my post where I turned my statements on their head!