Freeview reception question(s)

Old July 4th 03, 12:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham Moore - Sun UK - Software Engineer

Default Freeview reception question(s)

I'm looking for some opinions on whether people think I'll be able to
receive Freeview easily.

Where I live analogue pictures from Crystal Palace are generally very
good for the town I live in. However for the past three or more years
I've been picking up my channels up from NTL cable so have not really
being taking too much notice of my analogue aerial picture quality.
Now I'm thinking about ditching the NTL tv and phone and either go
satellite or freeview. If money was no object I would go for Sky.
However I want to keep costs down so I'm looking at Freeview.

However I have since noticed that my analogue signal quality has
decreased since the building of four office buildings directly in the
path of my property and Crystal Palace. The images are still there and
appear very crisp on analogue, the downer is that I am getting a
shadow about one inch to the right of the primary image. I believe
this is a reflection off of the new office buildings. Other neighbours
in the "strip" of interference also have various levels of degraded
images.

So (finally) my question is would this shadow interfere too much with
my digital signal such that it is unusable? If the signal is okay am I
right in assuming that the digital reception would not contain the
shadow? I have looked at the website that details transmitters for my
area to look for an alternative buy they all look too weak to be
viable (IMHO).

Also I have not yet been able to determine if I would need a new
aerial for Crystal Palace digital transmissions. I don't want to buy
the kit and find it unusable, especially when I am interested in the
Pace Twin PVR.

Any advice or opinions on my situation would be appreciated.

Regards,
Graham

Old July 4th 03, 01:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NO LOGO

"Graham Moore - Sun UK - Software Engineer" wrote in
message ...

[...]

In view of the Sky PSB shut-down, I procured my FREEVIEW box yesterday, and
I'm pointed at Crystal Palace.

My review he http://forum.logofreetv.org/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=717

Although I can't get Analogue FIVE, everything seems ok on FREEVIEW apart
from the fact that the programming beyond the first 5 channels are ****....

WTF are things like Bidup.tv, QVC, TV Travel shop doing there.... I despair
with this lot. On the Pace, you can delete them out of your listings.

Any way, 68.99 to continue receiving FIVE is what it costs to feed round my
home...

Oh - another really stupid thing. There is no Teletext on FREEVIEW FIVE and
the (sic) "Programme Guide" only tells you now and next, so you have to
switch to analogue TV to use teletext to look up what is on FIVE. doh.

Old July 4th 03, 02:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Doctor D.

AFAIK digital is far more resistant to ghosting than analogue. You should be
fine if the signal level is good. CP uses group A for all TV transmissions
so the existing aerial should be the correct group.I presume you have
checked the freeview postcode checker?

Where are you?

Old July 4th 03, 03:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tony Walton

Doctor D. wrote:
AFAIK digital is far more resistant to ghosting than analogue. You should be
fine if the signal level is good. CP uses group A for all TV transmissions
so the existing aerial should be the correct group.I presume you have
checked the freeview postcode checker?

Where are you?

He's working for the same firm as me in a building about three miles
away from where I am, that I do know :-)

Graham, would you like me to bring my ex-ONDigital STB in for you so you
can borrow it and give it a try?

--
Tony

Old July 4th 03, 03:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham

Doctor D. wrote:
AFAIK digital is far more resistant to ghosting than analogue. You should be
fine if the signal level is good. CP uses group A for all TV transmissions
so the existing aerial should be the correct group.I presume you have
checked the freeview postcode checker?

Where are you?

I have tried the post code checker and I am in central Hertfordshire.
Its just these buildings that I am worried about.

Since posting I have had some other advice that basically says I won't
have a problem as long as my aerial is in good nick (three years old?).

Thanks,
Graham

Old July 4th 03, 03:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David van Kemenade

"Graham Moore - Sun UK - Software Engineer" wrote in
message ...
The images are still there and
appear very crisp on analogue, the downer is that I am getting a
shadow about one inch to the right of the primary image. I believe
this is a reflection off of the new office buildings.

A very quick calculation (haven't checked facts!) - Assuming you've got 4:3
TV with a 28" tube, the visible part of the screen is about 22" wide. The
active line time is around 53 us, so a shadow 1" to the right is equivalent
to a delay of approximately 2.5 us. That is well within the guard interval
(around 7 us), so I'd bet digital reception from Crystal Palace should be OK
where you are.

David

Old July 4th 03, 06:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Wrightsaerials

It will work perfectly. Or I'll eat my hat.

Bill

Laugh at our Rogue's Gallery
Admire the antiquities in Albert's Attic
Marvel at our breathtaking Aerial Photography
All anoraks MUST visit
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/index.html
Old July 4th 03, 07:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Porcella

[...]

You should be alright. DTT has protection against multi-path interference.

Also I have not yet been able to determine if I would need a new
aerial for Crystal Palace digital transmissions. I don't want to buy
the kit and find it unusable, especially when I am interested in the
Pace Twin PVR.

You could pay somebody to test the signal, but frankly for 100, you might
as well buy a box and try it.

--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella

Old July 4th 03, 07:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Porcella

My review he http://forum.logofreetv.org/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=717

Although I can't get Analogue FIVE, everything seems ok on FREEVIEW apart
from the fact that the programming beyond the first 5 channels are

****....

Really? I like the news channels and UK History.

Oh - another really stupid thing. There is no Teletext on FREEVIEW FIVE

and
the (sic) "Programme Guide" only tells you now and next, so you have to
switch to analogue TV to use teletext to look up what is on FIVE. doh.

No, you could check up at BBC Digital Text.

--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella

Old July 6th 03, 05:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tom

"Graham Moore - Sun UK - Software Engineer" wrote in
message ...

I'm looking for some opinions on whether people think I'll be able to
receive Freeview easily.

snip
Also I have not yet been able to determine if I would need a new
aerial for Crystal Palace digital transmissions. I don't want to buy
the kit and find it unusable, especially when I am interested in the
Pace Twin PVR.

Crystal Palace's digital channels are in the same aerial group (part of the
radio spectrum) as the analogue ones, so the existing aerial is likely to be
OK. Some transmitters have one or more digital channels outside the part of
the spectrum the analogue aerials are designed for, so a new "wideband"
aerial is needed to get full reception in those areas. BTW, Crystal Palace
does not broadcast Five on analogue, so digital may be the only way to get a
good picture for this station.