Automatic VCR timed recording

Old July 3rd 03, 01:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Johnson

Default Automatic VCR timed recording

I need to find a better way to record automatically.

Here's the story so far:

SITUATION 1
I am using a Thomson DTI 1000 digital box.
In the manual, it says that you only have to set the timer on the STB if you
have a Thomson video recorder, and it will start recording automatically.

PROBLEM 1
I don't have a Thomson video recorder, and the one I do have, does not
record automatically, and I cannot work the timer on it.

SOLUTION 1
I have therefore made a circuit for my VCR which presses the record and stop
buttons when there is a signal to do so from the STB (pin 8 on the SCART
lead).
The circuit consists of one transistor and one relay, which are inside the
VCR, and an external switch.

CURRENT SITUATION
Now when I want to record something on a timer, I have to program it in on
the STB, and then flick the switch I have made on the VCR.
When I flick the switch, the stop button is held down constantly until it is
time to record, at which time it releases the stop button and holds down the
record button. When the record time has ended, the record button is released
and the stop button is held down again until the switch is flicked or
another recording starts.

Does anyone know of a simple circuit to make the stop button only come on
for a short period only, and then let go.

Old July 4th 03, 06:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phil Brady

Mark Johnson wrote:
[...]

Clever system, but
a) could you connect across the switch contacts of the VCR or..
b) why not use the timer in the VCR?

Regards
Phil