Freeview equivalent in US?

Old September 4th 04, 06:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
larry mehl

Default Freeview equivalent in US?

Hello UK --

Does anyone know if there is something like Freeview in the US?

Thanks for any information.

Larry Mehl

Old September 4th 04, 12:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris

On 3 Sep 2004 22:14:08 -0700, (larry mehl) wrote:

Hello UK --

Does anyone know if there is something like Freeview in the US?

Thanks for any information.

Most people in the US towns and cities seem to have Cable or more
recently Dish Network Satellite.

In the US there is no real national terrestrial broadcasting like we
have. It has to go through local stations (affiliates), in different
areas there are different versions of NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, UPN, WB etc
on different channel numbers.

I did a quick search on the web and they do seem to have Digital
terrestrial transmission in areas.

They don't seem to have an analogue terrestrial tv network as such,
you often seem to have to move the tv aerial to pick up best pictures
from the analogue channels NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, UPN, WB etc, most
american aerias seem to have some form of motor on them to do this
from the comfort of your chair. The aerials are also bigger as they
have to be able to receive VHF Bands I and III as well as UHF. US UHF
covers from Channel 15 to 69 and channels use 7 Khz wide not 8.

There are very few FTA TV Channels broadcast from Satellite, you even
need to pay an extra 6 dollars a month to receive the free analogue
"local affiliate" channels from Satellite on the Dish Network
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/p...ls/index.shtml

You can see which channels are FTA at
http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html they still use C Band which
requires a BUD (Big Ugly Dish)

Old September 4th 04, 02:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 12:58:21 +0100, Chris
wrote:

have to be able to receive VHF Bands I and III as well as UHF. US UHF
covers from Channel 15 to 69 and channels use 7 Khz wide not 8.

should have said

"covers from Channel 15 to 69 and channels use 7 Mhz wide not 8"

here is some info on Terrestrial Digital TV USA

http://www.managingchange.com/mediums/inter-tv/usa.htm

"Terrestrial Digital TV
In 1997 the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) issued a
tranche of licences for digital services. They came with stretching
implementation targets. The FCC wanted the top four major US TV
networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox) to deliver digital TV to the largest
10 US cities by the end of 1998, to all viewers within a few years,
and to then withdraw the analogue system by 2006"

Old September 5th 04, 08:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ivan

wrote:

have to be able to receive VHF Bands I and III as well as UHF. US UHF
covers from Channel 15 to 69 and channels use 7 Khz wide not 8.

should have said

"covers from Channel 15 to 69 and channels use 7 Mhz wide not 8"

I might well be wrong, but I thought it was six megs in the US and seven in
Australia.

Old September 5th 04, 03:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ed

wrote:

You can see which channels are FTA at
http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html they still use C Band which
requires a BUD (Big Ugly Dish)

When I was in America I wondered why they had such huge dishes, so
interesting to know the answer. Thanks.
Old September 5th 04, 04:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Hart

Ed wrote:

I get the impression that the high-rise nature of most American cities
makes receiving terrestrial TV difficult, and Freeview does not fit
the American psyche. In fact if it was not for the BBC here I wonder
if Freeview would have got off the ground here. I cannot see a
Freeview style system developing in the States either.

Can I point you towards OnDigital, it got off the ground but was sunk by a
stupid investment in football.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

Old September 5th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 00:29:06 -0700, "ivan"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

have to be able to receive VHF Bands I and III as well as UHF. US UHF
covers from Channel 15 to 69 and channels use 7 Khz wide not 8.

should have said

"covers from Channel 15 to 69 and channels use 7 Mhz wide not 8"

I might well be wrong, but I thought it was six megs in the US and seven in
Australia.

Yup Looks like you are correct