Freeview equivalent in US?

Old September 5th 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Watkinson

Default Freeview equivalent in US?

Although this discussion is interesting in it's own right comparing US
TV broadcasting with that in the British Isles is very difficult because
of the sheer size of the USA and the fact that it is still to some
extent 50 small 'nations'.

The USA has vast areas of relative 'nothingness' where satellite is the
only sensible option. In the connurbations cable has been the main
method of reception.

We live on a crowded group of islands (population density/wise) which
would fit into several of the US states.

Because of this and the historical development of Radio/TV
broadcasting in the UK via the BBC & IBA we have ended up in the
arguably fortunate situation we now find ourselves in with DTTV. That is
a network of transmitters capable of supplying DTTV via suitable
aerials.

It is not free since we still have to pay the licence fee - but with the
right kit that fee will get you far more than the standard 5 analogue
channels that you are already paying for.

Richard Watkinson

Treasurer Sheffield Folk Festival

http://www.sheffieldfolkfestival.org/

Join the RSPB today
Old September 6th 04, 09:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ed

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 16:15:43 +0100, "James Hart"
wrote:

Ed wrote:

I get the impression that the high-rise nature of most American cities
makes receiving terrestrial TV difficult, and Freeview does not fit
the American psyche. In fact if it was not for the BBC here I wonder
if Freeview would have got off the ground here. I cannot see a
Freeview style system developing in the States either.

Can I point you towards OnDigital, it got off the ground but was sunk by a
stupid investment in football.

OnDigital was sunk by more than just the football, obviously that
helped a lot, but frankly the people running the business did not have
a clue about anything, not just sports rights. The boxes were slow,
the reception broke up regularly, the encryption was already hacked,
but if it was not for that we would not have Freeview!