iPlayer downloads now only being offered in sd1?

Old April 16th 18, 04:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default iPlayer downloads now only being offered in sd1?

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
In article , Johnny B Good
wrote:

If you do discover a 'magic incantation' to d/l 1280 by 720, whether 25
or 50 fps, please let us all know. :-)

I've continued to use --modes=hvfhd and this worked a day or two ago OK.
But it is HLS, so I am wondering if it might cease *if* the BBC have
decided to weed out HLS. And I am using an old version of gip, so the
current version may be different in some way.

For me the snag is that I don't *want* 50fps, but 25fps. So I'm watching
the current gip list discussions on frame rate conversions. The anoyance
their if if we have to fetch 50fps and files twice the size we want, and
then spend time having to convert them. PITA^2.

Why is it that iPlayer uses various unusual resolutions, rather than
704x576 for SD and 1920x1080 for HD, as for broadcast TV?

960x540 is logical: half HD in both dimensions

1280x720 is the native resolution of a lot of older flat-screen TVs and an
intermediate standard between SD and HD.

But where does 832x468 come from? That's not a simple fraction of either HD
or SD.

Old April 16th 18, 08:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Foregive my ignorance but I have been following this thread and still wonder what you folk are downloading and storing this stuff for.

What is a gip? What is a gippo? I spotted this " Unless I am actually missing a trick or two, Gip users seem to be totally reliant on iPlayer's munificence in the matter of programme download quality. If the Gippos running the iPlayer concession stand don't want to offer hlshd1, then there's not much Gip can do about it"

Maybe it's a secret. If so then feel free to keep it to yourselves. I have discovered a whole new world with Terrarium where I can look up and view almost every reasonable movie made in the last forty years, instantly and for free. It has tranformed both our tv and cinema life. If I want to see The Godfather in HDTV without the sound of popcorn I can do it NOW without even taking off my carpet slippers !!

Are you part of this system? I am fascinated. I download and store stuff every day with my Humax but, once I have watched it, I junk it. My 'stuff' looks like HDTV. iPlayer I only use when I have missed something for my Humax..

Am I missing out on a whole new world?

Tony
AR and LWT. RIP.

Old April 16th 18, 08:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"TonyGamble" wrote in message
[...]

GetIplayer (gip, GIP, GiP etc) is a third-party command-line program (with a
GUI front-end for people that don't like command lines) which downloads
videos from the BBC iPlayer site in a form that can be kept forever, without
the normal 30-day timeout on videos that are downloaded using the iPlayer
site.

Old April 16th 18, 08:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

TonyGamble wrote:

What is a gip?

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer
Old April 16th 18, 08:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

On Monday, 16 April 2018 21:33:17 UTC+1, NY wrote:
"TonyGamble" wrote in message
Foregive my ignorance but I have been following this thread and still
wonder what you folk are downloading and storing this stuff for.

Thanks NY. Now I will know a GIP when I come across one.

But what are you doing with all this stuff you are storing?

Tony

Old April 16th 18, 11:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 17:44:24 +0100, NY wrote:

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
In article , Johnny B Good
wrote:

If you do discover a 'magic incantation' to d/l 1280 by 720, whether
25
or 50 fps, please let us all know. :-)

I've continued to use --modes=hvfhd and this worked a day or two ago
OK.
But it is HLS, so I am wondering if it might cease *if* the BBC have
decided to weed out HLS. And I am using an old version of gip, so the
current version may be different in some way.

For me the snag is that I don't *want* 50fps, but 25fps. So I'm
watching the current gip list discussions on frame rate conversions.
The anoyance their if if we have to fetch 50fps and files twice the
size we want, and then spend time having to convert them. PITA^2.

Ditto the above for me too.

Why is it that iPlayer uses various unusual resolutions, rather than
704x576 for SD and 1920x1080 for HD, as for broadcast TV?

960x540 is logical: half HD in both dimensions

It didn't occur to me until recently that this 'weird' choice of
resolution was, in hindsight, just that. Now it seems obvious that 960 by
540 is one of the Beeb's chosen SD formats to be upscaled to 704/720 by
576 for DVB-T SD broadcasts. Now that I understand this, I no longer
waste time dithering between an SD recording and a 960 by 540 iPlayer
download. Despite the apparently slightly lower vertical resolution of
the sd1 iPlayer download, it still remains the slightly better quality
option simply due to the elimination of the upscaling process used to
present it as a 704/720 by 576 SD broadcast.

1280x720 is the native resolution of a lot of older flat-screen TVs and
an intermediate standard between SD and HD.

It's a nice compromise between full HD quality and the storage space
otherwise consumed by a full HD recording.

But where does 832x468 come from? That's not a simple fraction of either
HD or SD.

That's a new one on me. I've only ever seen 1280 by 720 or 960 by 540
iplayer downloads. Red Button, maybe? I've recorded the odd RB broadcast
and that seems about right for the reduced screen resolution typical of
RB sourced video. I'd check but ICBA right now to go searching... Oh,
wait!

No, sorry, the only RB recordings I could locate were a couple of 6Music
Kraftwerk outdoor concert tracks recorded back in July 2013 which are in
720 by 576. I have a sneaky feeling I may have upscaled them with
Handbrake but I'm not entirely sure about this. Never mind, it was a
rare pleasure to watch and listen to their "Robots" track being
performed 'Live'. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old April 17th 18, 12:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 13:40:26 -0700, TonyGamble wrote:

On Monday, 16 April 2018 21:33:17 UTC+1, NY wrote:
"TonyGamble" wrote in message
Foregive my ignorance but I have been following this thread and still
wonder what you folk are downloading and storing this stuff for.

Thanks NY. Now I will know a GIP when I come across one.

But what are you doing with all this stuff you are storing?

I can't speak for other users of get_iplayer but for myself, I *like* to
hang onto the more interesting recordings of BBC's programme output (BBCs
2 and 4, mainly) rather than be at the mercy of a 30 day expiry imposed
by the normal iPlayer application(s).

Also, I feel I'm "Doing My Bit" as a Licence Payer in preventing the
Beeb from 're-writing' or 'airbrushing' history (Jimmy Saville anyone? :-
) as well as acting as a backup archival service to prevent any more
repeats of "Lost Episodes" (Dad's Army and Doctor Who to name just two
examples). And, last but not least, "Because I can!" :-)

TBPH, what started as an interesting novelty with the introduction of
regular DVB-T broadcasting and the availability of DVB-T PC adapters (USB
tuners initially) back in 2005, swiftly turned into a brand new hobby
where I was not only able to watch programmes on my own schedule in
exactly the same quality as the live broadcast (better even, since it was
on a PC monitor sans the usual overscanning that cursed most ordinary TV
sets - including most of the early LCD flat screen models) rather than
the broadcasters' but also to do so independently of the soapy ****e and
"Life Style" rubbish SWMBI tended to hog our domestic TV viewing
schedules with.

I preferred using my PC for TV viewing in spite of the extra work
involved due to the restrictions of DVB-T recording software under
windows (in my case, windows 2000) since I could neatly top and tail the
recordings and file them away onto a NAS server box (homebrewed using
FreeNAS then NAS4Free, naturally!).

I was even santising the commercials out of the Channel 4 broadcasts of
"The Simpsons" until I got ****ed of with the extra effort involved and
discovered torrent sources where all of this hard work had already been
done. These days, I rarely bother recording commercial stations' output,
not even when it's good (such as "The Last Man on Earth" or "The Big Bang
Theory") since I can get better quality torrents at the drop of a hat.

Just on three years ago when a major PC hardware upgrade finally put
paid to my continuing enjoyment of Microsoft's best ever version of
windows (win2k) and I finally made the jump to Linux (Linux Mint 17.1),
my TV viewing experience became elevated to an undreamed of level of PVR
Heaven using Kaffeine to record everything and anything I wanted from the
Beeb's SD multiplex (with one tuner left to spare in case I ever wanted
to take a gander at or record from another SD multiplex).

Scheduling became as simple as selecting whatever I fancied from all the
BBC's SD channels without regard for padding/scheduling conflicts. Not
only that, I could watch any of the recordings regardless of whether
they'd completed or not. This gave me an unprecedented carefree access to
the Beeb's SD output and changed my viewing habits forever.

I can afford to take a "Shoot First, Ask Questions Later" approach to
what I record and watch, selecting stuff that's not obvious "Keeper
Material" since it only takes a second to delete any "Lemons", whilst not
doing so means you may have missed something that was worth keeping (Once
it's gone, it's gone - you can't undelete something you never had to
begin with).

NY has largely answered your questions so I'll only add that my Gippos
reference was to the "Gypsies" in charge of the iPlayer service who
appear to be running it just like a fairground concession (without rhyme,
nor reason).

I only became interested in using get_iplayer as a means to overcome the
BBC's scheduling cockups which were breaking Kaffeine's scheduled
recording process. When I realised that I could obtain (on the whole at
that time about two years ago) better quality versions (1280 by 720
versus 704/720 by 576 off-air SD), I took to using get_iplayer to
supplement Kaffeine's efforts on a regular basis. Unfortunately, all that
has changed for the worse just recently, hence my starting this thread in
the hope that someone may be able to offer some sort of "work around" to
improve the quality of iPlayer's downloads to better than the abysmal sub
SD quality that the "Faceless Ones" running the iPlayer concession have
been foisting upon the users of the get_iplayer application in recent
days.

--
Johnny B Good
Old April 17th 18, 05:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Thanks J B G

Now I know.

Unusual hobby.

I have a whole mass of Alan Dell and David Jacobs radio broadcasts on cassette. I keep thinking I ought to find a good home for them.

Tony