iPlayer downloads now only being offered in sd1?

Old April 16th 18, 01:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

Default iPlayer downloads now only being offered in sd1?

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 09:12:30 +0100, Jim Lesurf wrote:

In article , Johnny B Good
wrote:
Not one of my Saturday night's selection of downloads included any hd1
(1280 by 720) offerings. Every single last one being sd1 (960 by 540).

I'm not sure, but are you mainly using hls?

The successful hd1 downloads have all been, istr, hlshd1. I'm using the
default "best quality" option. ISTR my early attempts at 50fps downloads
mainly resulted in 25fps downloads instead. All of the latest sd1
downloads have been hvfxsd1/bi meaning they've been supplied by the bimi?
server (the hlshd1/ak downloads have all come from the akamai server).
restricting to the akamai server doesn't get around the problem, I just
see hvfxsd1/ak downloads instead. Incidentally, whenever I've seen such
downloads, they generally been associated with 'Panic Grabs' of badly
topped and tailed playout server stream captures which then become
available a few hours to days later as hlshd1 downloads.

My experience thus far is that the 1280x720 25fps versions seem to be
ceasing, but the 50fps versions have been available.[1] I've been using
hls for fetching but I'm not sure if some other transfer method will
still get the 25fps version. Been meaning to ask on the gip list and
look at the table of modes, etc.

If you do discover a 'magic incantation' to d/l 1280 by 720, whether 25
or 50 fps, please let us all know. :-)

AFAIAA, gip TV downloads default to 'best possible' and my earlier
attempts to persuade gip to produce specifically better than 'best
possible' have been a resounding failure in all bar perhaps one or two
cases over two years ago now when I first started using gip.

The 50fps versions do have 'better' sound, but mean much bigger files.

[1] e.g. the "Young Musician of the Year" progs seem available as the
larger files - which is sensible in these cases to get the best sound.

The sound quality on the smaller sd1/hd1 25fps downloads is quite
adequate to my elderly ears so I'm thankful enough for the 1GB/hour 1280
by 720 25fps versions as an improvement over the 960 by 540 rescaled to
720 by 576 DVB-T broadcasts that I used to record off air using Kaffeine.

These days I just use Kaffeine to create a 'To Do List' from its
recording schedule the entries of which I edit to 5 minute snippets. This
saves disk usage and produces suitably named 5 minute media files from
which I can copy and paste their edited filenames to the less helpfully
named iPlayer downloads.

I did manage to get the dual tuner DVB-T2 PCIe adapter working on a test
box some 6 months or more back but working around the encrypted EPG
entries and dealing with the large 1920 by 1080 TS recordings proved too
much of a pain as well as a doubling of disk space consumption so I put
the DVB-T2 PVR project on hold preferring to carry on with iPlayer's
hlshd1 more economic of disk space downloads.

If the iPlayer concession is now withdrawing it's half HD downloading
service, I'll have to have another go at sorting out a PC based DVB-T2 PVR
solution of one sort or another, preferably with an improved version of
Kaffeine that can either decrypt the EPG tables internally or else allow
a third party add-on to fix this particular issue. I'd also want to be
able to top and tail padded recordings via a simple GUI where I can mark
an in and an out point for the video processor to 'convert' from ts to mp4
or mkv in the same neat way that MpegStreamClip did (still does) for mpg
ts recordings when converting them into mpg ps media files (ready to be
converted to mkv using Handbrake).

--
Johnny B Good
Old April 16th 18, 01:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 11:39:27 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

On 15/04/2018 04:30, Johnny B Good wrote:
Not one of my Saturday night's selection of downloads included any
hd1
(1280 by 720) offerings. Every single last one being sd1 (960 by 540).
Some were expected to be sd1 such as "Dad's Army" and "Insect Worlds"
whilst recently made programmes that would typically be available in
hd1 format such as "Gettys: The World's Richest Art Dynasty" (copyright
2018)
were also restricted to sd1 as were repeats that I'd downloaded
previously in hd1 format such as the "From Andy Pandy to Zebedee: The
Golden Age of Children's Television" documentary.

This has been an ongoing subject of discussion in the get-iplayer
mailing lists, particularly in a thread begun my myself entitled ...

Steve Backshall - Nature's Microworlds - 2 Serengeti.mp4, b01l4906

... wherein my chief complaint is that Episode 1 is available in hlshd,
Ep 2 only in hvfhd, and Ep 3 and since only as hvfxsd! Not even
consistency across a series!

That sort of nonsense has been going on for the past two years. It's one
of the reasons why I keep scheduling the repeat showings in Kaffeine to
create my "To Do List" of iPlayer downloads in the hope of them letting
slip an hlshd1 version to replace an earlier hvfxsd1 which they sometimes
do. However, this 'shoot first, ask questions later' grab it anyway
approach resulted in the reverse. At least two of those sd1 downloads had
previously been downloaded as hd1.

From that discussion, it seems that the only HD mode destined to
survive is hvfhd, and in fact I downloaded the Gettys program overnight
in that format, 2.7GB, 1280x720, 50fps, but haven't watched it yet.

It looks like I'll have to study my gip download options in some
detail... Again! :-(

--
Johnny B Good
Old April 16th 18, 02:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 11:41:18 +0100, tim... wrote:

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
Not one of my Saturday night's selection of downloads included any hd1
(1280 by 720) offerings. Every single last one being sd1 (960 by 540).
Some were expected to be sd1 such as "Dad's Army"

Oh is DA available on iPlayer

the last time (during the current run) I missed an ep and looked for it
on iPlayer it was unavailable and I had to look for it on Youtube (as I
did for S4 E13 which the politically correct police decided is not
longer suitable for broadcast for family viewing.)

That comment regarding suitability for family viewing grabbed my
attention so I looked it up. It's the last episode entitled "The Fallen
Idol" where it ends with Captain Mainwaring being chased by a dog
supposedly carrying a triggered live grenade in its mouth. Was it the
impending death by grenade of the dog the issue or something else that
made it a non-PC episode?

Most of the episodes in that series were iPlayer downloads but this and
episodes 4, 6 and 8 remain as off-air SD recordings, presumably because I
assumed their 544 by 576 crops from the off-air 720 by 576 SD unvandalised
broadcasts were a slightly better quality option than the whacky 960 by
540 sd1 iPlayer downloads I'd gotten during the summer/autumn of 2017.

I've since come to realise that that whacky 960 by 540 (derived from
halving the Full HD resolution of 1920 by 1080) is the BBC's archived
format for all their SD material which gets upscaled to fit a 720 by 576
SD frame (in this case, pillar boxed), so I've actually landed up with a
slightly inferior version rather than a slightly superior one. :-(

Afaicr, I think every episode of this series was available via iPlayer.
I simply made a less than wise decision to ditch the 'inferior' iPlayer
download in favour of a 'better quality' unvandalised SD broadcast in
this case.

Talking of end credit vandalism, there used to be a time when iPlayer
downloads were rarely afflicted but now this pointless vandalism seems to
be more prevalent with iPlayer downloads of late.

--
Johnny B Good
Old April 16th 18, 02:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 15:37:00 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Johnny B Good wrote:

Not one of my Saturday night's selection of downloads included any hd

I think this has been noted before if you use a 'regional' stream,
rather than using a 'nations' stream ...

Right, that's something else for me to check out then. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old April 16th 18, 03:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

Johnny B Good wrote:

Not one of my Saturday night's selection of downloads included any hd

I think this has been noted before if you use a 'regional' stream,
rather than using a 'nations' stream ...

Right, that's something else for me to check out then. :-)

Following up with Sunday night's download results, out of a total of 7
iPlayer programme downloads, only one was an hlshd1/ak download, the
other 6 all being hvfxsd1/bi. Curiously, that one hd1 download was a
repeat of the Natural World episode first shown on the 4th of June 2017
and the final mp4 file was exactly the same size at 1006.1MB.

It does appear to be a deliberate policy change in regard of new
programme material with only some of the earlier hd1 programme downloads
being usurped by sd1 substitutes. I'll be checking out my filter options
tomorrow in regard of switching from a regional to a national stream but,
afaicr, this just effected the size of the indexed list without
necessarily changing a programme's PID. Unless this alters the PID, this
won't change anything. Still, I might be wrong about this, hence my plan
to check this out after a good night's sleep.

I'll also be looking for any option to download 50fps versions that, for
some reason, aren't being classed as 'best possible' in Gip's default
list of download quality hierarchy. IOW, I'll be taking a long hard look
at Gip's available options to look for any 'missed tricks'.

Unless I am actually missing a trick or two, Gip users seem to be
totally reliant on iPlayer's munificence in the matter of programme
download quality. If the Gippos running the iPlayer concession stand
don't want to offer hlshd1, then there's not much Gip can do about it. :-(

--
Johnny B Good
Old April 16th 18, 08:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

[...]

It's because Mr. Mainwaring

wait for it

gets drunk

tim

Old April 16th 18, 10:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 09:23:43 +0100, tim... wrote:

[...]

I did idly wonder whether that was the reason whilst quickly reviewing
that episode. "Political Correctness" eh? Talk about the dangers of
getting what you wish for!

The first time I heard the term "PC" outside of its IBM meaning, I
thought it was simply shorthand for "The mealy-mouthedness of those
seeking political office by winning a popularity vote.". I suppose I was
being naive to think it wouldn't be applied outside of this special class
of offenders to describe those conned by such mealy-mouthed seekers of
political office. :-(

Incidentally, whilst we're on the subject of "Political Correctness",
I'd like to point out that tagging it with the descriptive "Gone Mad" is
totally superfluous, creating as it does, an oxymoron (you might as well
use the phrase, "Madness gone mad." when describing similar cases of
insane thinking. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old April 16th 18, 12:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Johnny B Good
wrote:

If you do discover a 'magic incantation' to d/l 1280 by 720, whether 25
or 50 fps, please let us all know. :-)

I've continued to use --modes=hvfhd and this worked a day or two ago OK.
But it is HLS, so I am wondering if it might cease *if* the BBC have
decided to weed out HLS. And I am using an old version of gip, so the
current version may be different in some way.

For me the snag is that I don't *want* 50fps, but 25fps. So I'm watching
the current gip list discussions on frame rate conversions. The anoyance
their if if we have to fetch 50fps and files twice the size we want, and
then spend time having to convert them. PITA^2.

Old April 16th 18, 04:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

On 16/04/2018 13:57, Jim Lesurf wrote:

For me the snag is that I don't *want* 50fps, but 25fps. So I'm watching
the current gip list discussions on frame rate conversions.

In the light of recent difficulties, I'm trying the following:
--tvmode hafhd,hlshd,hvfhd,hvfxsd,hafvhigh,hlsvhigh

This will choose the first of the following it finds:
hafhd,hlshd 1280x720 25fps
hvfhd 1280x720 50fps
hvfxsd 960x540 25fps
hafvhigh,hlsvhigh 832x468 25fps

The anoyance
their if if we have to fetch 50fps and files twice the size we want, and
then spend time having to convert them. PITA^2.

I'll not bother to convert them to 25fps, I can always delete something
from the "ToBeDeleted" folder, or else buy a bigger disk for my servers!

The things that really annoy me a

:-( The lack of consistency across a series, even when they're just
showing repeats of old programming. I've already highlighted an example
above, and mentioned others in the thread I linked. I wouldn't've
thought it too much to ask that an entire series should be available in
the same, constant format. Then there are the numerous times when they
repeat some episodes of old series, but not others. Lucy Worsley's
recently repeated series about royal sickness did not have the final
episode broadcast. Someone has also mentioned an absurd Dad's Army example.

:-( The lack of choice. I can see that the BBC wants to standardise
their offerings, but they need to accommodate a range of different
programming, and, as in the discussion I linked, when you start to think
about this in detail, it soon becomes apparent that one size doesn't fit
all. Given a chance to increase either the spatial or the temporal
resolution, but for bandwidth reasons not both, which should you do?
For slow moving stuff - landscapes, programmes about art,
architecture, etc - I would prefer an increase in spatial resolution
to 1080p, but for fast action - action movies, sport, etc - then it
seems from the discussion that an increase in temporal resolution to
50fps is better. I think the BBC should choose the most appropriate
format for the programme content, not attempt to stuff all programming
into the same pigeon-hole, regardless of its content.
Old April 16th 18, 04:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
In article , Johnny B Good
wrote:

If you do discover a 'magic incantation' to d/l 1280 by 720, whether 25
or 50 fps, please let us all know. :-)

I've continued to use --modes=hvfhd and this worked a day or two ago OK.
But it is HLS, so I am wondering if it might cease *if* the BBC have
decided to weed out HLS. And I am using an old version of gip, so the
current version may be different in some way.

For me the snag is that I don't *want* 50fps, but 25fps. So I'm watching
the current gip list discussions on frame rate conversions. The anoyance
their if if we have to fetch 50fps and files twice the size we want, and
then spend time having to convert them. PITA^2.

Why is it that iPlayer uses various unusual resolutions, rather than 704x576
for SD and 1920x1080 for HD, as for broadcast TV?