HD Recorder Advice Please

Old April 10th 18, 01:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

Default HD Recorder Advice Please

I have a much simpler setup than many people in here I'm su

Sky+ HD box
WD TV Live (streams over my home network)
Panasonic DMR-PWT655 DVD/Blu Ray player/HDD Recorder

These all feed into:

Yamaha RX-S601D (AV Amp)

using HDMI

The amp then feeds in to my Panasonic TX-L32E30B TV.

The TV is just used as a monitor and all sound is played through the Yamaha.

The Panasonic HDD recorder only records programmes from its own tuner, you
cannot feed external kit in to it.

Given all that there are occasions when it might be useful to be able to
record a programme on an independent recorder which can also create a DVD
from the recordings (an older Panasonic could do this and record to DVD
RAM).

The easiest place to insert it in the chain would probably be between the
Yamaha amp and the TV - the AMP has about 6 HDMI inputs but only one output.

Can I have some advice on what this theoretical bit of kit might be called
please? There seem to be several HD recorders about but I haven't found
any yet that can record to DVD.

Many thanks.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Indecision is the key to flexibility

Old April 10th 18, 08:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 10/04/2018 18:48, Brian Gaff wrote:
I thought recording in hd was prohibuted somehow in the hdmi specs.

Bang on.

There's some quite sophisticated encryption going on in the HDMI chain.
It's been cracked of course - but not by anything that will be easy to
get, and I suspect not by anything legal in the UK.

Andy
Old April 10th 18, 08:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Vir Campestris wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

I thought recording in hd was prohibuted somehow in the hdmi specs.

There's some quite sophisticated encryption going on in the HDMI chain.
It's been cracked of course - but not by anything that will be easy to
get, and I suspect not by anything legal in the UK.

HDMI splitter
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LM4IJ60

and a dedicated HDMI recorder such as

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J06Z906
or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EKJ944Y

then edit and store on hard disc, or burn to DVD/BluRay depending on size
Old April 10th 18, 09:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Vir Campestris wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

I thought recording in hd was prohibuted somehow in the hdmi specs.

There's some quite sophisticated encryption going on in the HDMI chain.
It's been cracked of course - but not by anything that will be easy to
get, and I suspect not by anything legal in the UK.

HDMI splitter
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LM4IJ60

and a dedicated HDMI recorder such as

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J06Z906
or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EKJ944Y

then edit and store on hard disc, or burn to DVD/BluRay depending on size

Easier to use a USB DVB-T2 decoder and PVR software. That's what I do and
I've never had any restrictions on saving and editing HD video. I've never
tried saving such a recording to DVD or BluRay: I save everything to HDD.
Plex server can play it to a TV via a Roku box.

I notice that my parents' dedicated PVR can export its SD recordings to a
pen drive or other exterrnal disc (as long as it's FAT32 rather than NFTS -
the usual restriction) but the Export option is greyed-out for HD
recordings. I'm not such what the situation is for sub-SD recordings made
from an H264 / DVB-T2 multiplex - is it HD or H264 which is banned? I'll
have to try it.

Old April 11th 18, 01:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 10/04/2018 in message
NY wrote:

[snipped]

Many thanks for the input :-)

Can SD be recorded from HDMI or does it somehow block all recording?

With my old Panasonic I just connected using SCART (yuk) and I could
record anything to the hard drive then transfer it to DVD.

Old April 12th 18, 07:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Charlie+

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on April 19, 2018.

On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 22:04:03 +0100, "NY" wrote as
underneath :

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Vir Campestris wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

[...]

If the OP decides to go down the splitter/stripper route, ask again, a
lot of them dont work well, get very hot, dont strip HDCP properly or at
all etc. etc. Then you have to record the un-encrypted hdmi signal to
DVD, hardly anything will do that outside a computer with an hdmi input
card.
Old April 12th 18, 07:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 12/04/2018 in message
Charlie+ wrote:

If the OP decides to go down the splitter/stripper route, ask again, a
lot of them dont work well, get very hot, dont strip HDCP properly or at
all etc. etc. Then you have to record the un-encrypted hdmi signal to
DVD, hardly anything will do that outside a computer with an hdmi input
card.

I'm beginning to wish I had replaced the blown caps on my Panasonic :-(

Perhaps I'll try eBay for an older Panny with SCART since it is so much
hassle with HDMI.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant
Old April 12th 18, 08:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Charlie+

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on April 19, 2018.

On 12 Apr 2018 07:47:58 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
wrote as underneath :

On 12/04/2018 in message
Charlie+ wrote:

If the OP decides to go down the splitter/stripper route, ask again, a
lot of them dont work well, get very hot, dont strip HDCP properly or at
all etc. etc. Then you have to record the un-encrypted hdmi signal to
DVD, hardly anything will do that outside a computer with an hdmi input
card.

I'm beginning to wish I had replaced the blown caps on my Panasonic :-(

Perhaps I'll try eBay for an older Panny with SCART since it is so much
hassle with HDMI.

Yep thats the cheap route! Only, if in the future you start going to
bigger than 32" display then AV type SD recordings begin to look pretty
shabby!
Old April 13th 18, 08:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 10/04/2018 21:21, Andy Burns wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

I thought recording in hd was prohibuted somehow in the hdmi specs.

There's some quite sophisticated encryption going on in the HDMI chain.
It's been cracked of course - but not by anything that will be easy to
get, and I suspect not by anything legal in the UK.

HDMI splitter
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LM4IJ60

and a dedicated HDMI recorder such as

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J06Z906

HDMI 1.4b. IIRC a lot of stuff these days is asking for 2.2 - but ICBW.

or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EKJ944Y

"Copy Protection

HDMI input is unable to capture from copy protected HDMI sources. Always
confirm copyright ownership before capture or distribution of content."

then edit and store on hard disc, or burn to DVD/BluRay depending on size