HD Recorder Advice Please

Old April 15th 18, 04:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

Default HD Recorder Advice Please

On 10/04/2018 in message Jeff
Gaines wrote:

Can I have some advice on what this theoretical bit of kit might be called
please? There seem to be several HD recorders about but I haven't found
any yet that can record to DVD.

To wrap this up the kit I got was:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You do need both so the splitter feeds in to the capture device. It
doesn't record to DVD but produces an mp4 file (or series of files) which
I can feed in to Adobe Premiere Elements and make a DVD or just play.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they
Old April 15th 18, 06:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 10/04/2018 in message Jeff
Gaines wrote:

Can I have some advice on what this theoretical bit of kit might be called
please? There seem to be several HD recorders about but I haven't found
any yet that can record to DVD.

To wrap this up the kit I got was:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You do need both so the splitter feeds in to the capture device. It
doesn't record to DVD but produces an mp4 file (or series of files) which
I can feed in to Adobe Premiere Elements and make a DVD or just play.

It's a shame the video DVDs are such a different format to plain .mpg, .mp4
or .ts files and need lengthy on-the-fly conversion to produce the VOB files
that make up a DVD - and that's before you even start writing the buggers to
the disc.

I keep all my recordings on my PC's hard drive (which I backup to a second
drive that I keep elsewhere) and either watch using Plex Server and Roku on
the TV, or else copy onto pen drive and watch using the DVD player (which
can also read from a FAT32 * drive). But mostly I watch using VLC on my PC,
which has the advantage that I can choose to watch at faster than real time
speed.

()* Shame that Microsoft require a licence fee for the NTFS format so most
equipment manufacturers choose to restrict themselves to FAT/FAT32 instead.
If they used exFAT that would be better because you wouldn't have to comply
with FAT's 4 GB file size limit.

Old April 15th 18, 08:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

On 15/04/2018 19:19, NY wrote:

()* Shame that Microsoft require a licence fee for the NTFS format so
most equipment manufacturers choose to restrict themselves to FAT/FAT32
instead. If they used exFAT that would be better because you wouldn't
have to comply with FAT's 4 GB file size limit.

You are mistaken there. Most of these boxes are based on Linux, and can
read and write NTFS as long as the relevant drivers are included in the
build. Rather ironically, my QNAP NMP-1000, a Linux based box,
*insists* on its HD being formatted with NTFS, which, of course, it can
read and write without any problems whatsoever.

Although early attempts at providing a Linux Open Source driver for NTFS
disk format could read the disks fine but tended to cause corruption if
used to write, these days Linux NTFS drivers can both read and write to
the format without problem, except perhaps one caveat - if you create
a long-name file on an NTFS disk using Linux, you don't get the 8.3
compatible short name version of the directory entry, so the file will
not be visible in DOS, for example when using DOS to launch Ghost to
back up a system drive.
Old April 15th 18, 08:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 15/04/2018 in message
NY wrote:

I keep all my recordings on my PC's hard drive (which I backup to a second
drive that I keep elsewhere) and either watch using Plex Server and Roku
on the TV, or else copy onto pen drive and watch using the DVD player
(which can also read from a FAT32 * drive). But mostly I watch using VLC
on my PC, which has the advantage that I can choose to watch at faster
than real time speed.

I have a WD TV Live which can stream pretty well everything over my
network and I have ripped all my DVDs and stored the resulting VOBs on the
server.

I probably ought to get up to date and stop thinking in terms of DVDs I
suppose :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap
Old April 16th 18, 08:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Java Jive" wrote in message
news
On 15/04/2018 19:19, NY wrote:

()* Shame that Microsoft require a licence fee for the NTFS format so
most equipment manufacturers choose to restrict themselves to FAT/FAT32
instead. If they used exFAT that would be better because you wouldn't
have to comply with FAT's 4 GB file size limit.

You are mistaken there. Most of these boxes are based on Linux, and can
read and write NTFS as long as the relevant drivers are included in the
build. Rather ironically, my QNAP NMP-1000, a Linux based box, *insists*
on its HD being formatted with NTFS, which, of course, it can read and
write without any problems whatsoever.

My experience is that most equipment (eg DVD players, PVRs) that can also
play from an external USB drive, or can copy their recordings to an external
USB drive, insist on the drive being FAT32, and will not accept NTFS drives.
I have a large pen drive that I keep formatted as FAT32 so I can copy a
recording from my PC (all drives NTFS) onto the stick if I need to play it
on an external player attached to the TV.

Likewise most/all digital cameras and camcorders seem to format SD cards as
FAT32 and reject a card that has been formatted elsewhere as NTFS.

So evidently NTFS drivers are not being included in a lot of DVD/PVR
firmware.