The Great DVB-T switch off?

Old April 7th 18, 03:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

Default The Great DVB-T switch off?

Is it true there is a plan in place to move everything to T2 by 2020?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old April 7th 18, 04:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Graham. wrote:

Is it true there is a plan in place to move everything to T2 by 2020?

I've not heard of an actual plan, but I suspect there's an inkling that
they'd keep one DVB-T1 mux with all the PSB channels for the luddites,
then convert the rest to DVB-T2, which would increase bandwidth per mux
and cut down on the wasted bandwidth by SD+HD duplicate channels,
probably lose the temporary COM7/COM8 muxes.

Old April 7th 18, 04:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Yes which is why I'm a bit annoyed that after digitalisation they seem to
have conveniently forgotten blind users and we will have to buy a tv even if
we don't need the picture at all or buy some overpriced box that is
ridiculously out of date.
The fact is that there are many people who will not want to get a new tv,
and a box with accessible menus would do nicely.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old April 7th 18, 05:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 07/04/2018 15:55, Graham. wrote:

Is it true there is a plan in place to move everything to T2 by 2020?

2020 would be too early I think, but I'm sure there's a plan being
drafted out at present, in the meantime plenty of speculation to keep us
all busy......

--
Mark
Old April 7th 18, 06:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 07/04/2018 16:42, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Yes which is why I'm a bit annoyed that after digitalisation they seem to
have conveniently forgotten blind users and we will have to buy a tv even if
we don't need the picture at all or buy some overpriced box that is
ridiculously out of date.
The fact is that there are many people who will not want to get a new tv,
and a box with accessible menus would do nicely.

You will just have to replace your DVB-T STB or PVR with a DVB-T2 one
(like the rest of us). After you've persuaded someone to make one with
talking menus &c. No need for a TV unless you want sighted
family/friends to use it.

--
Max Demian
Old April 7th 18, 07:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 07/04/2018 15:55, Graham. wrote:

Is it true there is a plan in place to move everything to T2 by 2020?

2020 would be too early I think, but I'm sure there's a plan being drafted
out at present, in the meantime plenty of speculation to keep us all
busy......

Turning off DVB-T after only about 20 years, and making people buy *another*
new TV and PVR (assuming they were early adopters who bought DVB-T-only
equipment) is going to be a very difficult one to "sell" to the public.

If existing equipment could be made to work with a firmware update, that
would be great, but for most people, they will need a completely new TV
(including display) and PVR (including HDD, and menu-driven recording)
simply because one component (the DVB decoder) cannot handle DVB-T2.

Set-top boxes are fine as an alternative for televisions, but not for PVRs
because there is no way for the timer-recording functionality of the PVR to
send a "change to channel 1" instruction to the STB so you can never record
from various different channels from unattended timer events. (*) You'd
think that there would have been an industry-standard communications
protocol built into SCART and HDMI for any TV/PVR to send "turn on/off, tune
to channel n" instructions to any STB - right from the days of VHS recorders
and analogue cable decoders and through all the subsequent new technology.

(*) I had a VHS VCR that had an IR transmitter that could send control
signals to an STB, providing they were somehow positioned in line of sight
(ie facing each other!!!) - but it only supported a variety of
pre-configured STBs, and the one that I had (a Jerrold, provided by
Bracknell cable TV) was not on the list. You'd think they would have made
the VCR so it could learn the codes from the STB's remote and then emit them
after that, so as to support *any* STB.

Old April 7th 18, 09:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 07/04/2018 19:31, NY wrote:

Turning off DVB-T after only about 20 years, and making people buy
*another* new TV and PVR (assuming they were early adopters who bought
DVB-T-only equipment) is going to be a very difficult one to "sell" to
the public.

There's no need to sell it to the public. It won't affect any elections.
The powers that be will do as they please, as they always have.

Was there ever any feeling amongst the UK population that we should have
unrestricted third world immigration?

Old April 7th 18, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

On 07/04/2018 21:14, Bill Wright wrote:

Was there ever any feeling amongst the UK population that we should have
unrestricted third world immigration?

No more than there was ever a feeling in this newsgroup that every
thread should be taken immigrated by a paranoid, right-wing nutter.
Old April 8th 18, 02:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 07/04/2018 21:18, Java Jive wrote:
On 07/04/2018 21:14, Bill Wright wrote:

Was there ever any feeling amongst the UK population that we should
have unrestricted third world immigration?

No more than there was ever a feeling in this newsgroup that every
thread should be taken immigrated by a paranoid, right-wing nutter.

That was a rather tortuous response! Or was it just silly?

Old April 8th 18, 06:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The Other Mike

On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 19:31:18 +0100, "NY" wrote:

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 07/04/2018 15:55, Graham. wrote:

Is it true there is a plan in place to move everything to T2 by 2020?

2020 would be too early I think, but I'm sure there's a plan being drafted
out at present, in the meantime plenty of speculation to keep us all
busy......

Turning off DVB-T after only about 20 years, and making people buy *another*
new TV and PVR (assuming they were early adopters who bought DVB-T-only
equipment) is going to be a very difficult one to "sell" to the public.

Early adopters of DVB-T bought Pace, Philips and Nokia ondigital boxes
in late 1998 / early 1999 that stopped working at digital switchover
because of the modulation used or even before when a larger NIT
(Network Information Table) was implemented.

Analog only DVD / HD recorders were still being launched in the UK by
the likes of Sony in irc 2005.

I doubt many bits of tv associated kit even lasts a decade these days,
we may find IPTV replaces traditional means of transmission IF the
shower that is BT Openreach actually delivered infrastructure rather
than BT buying sports TV rights.