The Great DVB-T switch off?

Old April 9th 18, 09:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default The Great DVB-T switch off?

You can get cheap Chinese standard and socket converters though I seem to
recall. The fact that the definition will be worse probably won't matter.
However crt based tv may well conk out soon.
I have several here, one only with rf in so its used to demo computers of
the vintage variety to potential mugs, erm collectors. Brian

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
news
On 07/04/2018 19:31, NY wrote:

If existing equipment could be made to work with a firmware update, that
would be great, but for most people, they will need a completely new TV
(including display) and PVR (including HDD, and menu-driven recording)
simply because one component (the DVB decoder) cannot handle DVB-T2.

They will not need a new TV.

They will need an external decoder of some sort. An STB or a PVR. But they
can keep the existing display.

Heck, our bedroom TV (which is used about once a quarter) is a 14 inch 4:3
CRT. With an external STB so it can get digital TV.

If they do go all T2 we'll probably have to replace it, but only because
we won't be able to get a new STB with SCART or composite 576i output.

Andy

Old April 9th 18, 09:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

On 07/04/2018 19:31, NY wrote:

If existing equipment could be made to work with a firmware update, that
would be great, but for most people, they will need a completely new TV
(including display) and PVR (including HDD, and menu-driven recording)
simply because one component (the DVB decoder) cannot handle DVB-T2.

They will not need a new TV.

They will need an external decoder of some sort. An STB or a PVR. But they
can keep the existing display.

Heck, our bedroom TV (which is used about once a quarter) is a 14 inch 4:3
CRT. With an external STB so it can get digital TV.

If they do go all T2 we'll probably have to replace it, but only because
we won't be able to get a new STB with SCART or composite 576i output.

Yes. The *display* will be about the only thing that can remain - although
an SD-res screen won't get the benefit of HD, it will still work as long as
the TV does good downscaling of HD.

But everything else will need to be changed: decoder and PVR. And I imagine
that will be a fair proportion of the full cost of TV screen, TV decoder,
PVR+decoder.

Old April 9th 18, 10:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 21:30:19 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 07/04/2018 19:31, NY wrote:

If existing equipment could be made to work with a firmware update, that
would be great, but for most people, they will need a completely new TV
(including display) and PVR (including HDD, and menu-driven recording)
simply because one component (the DVB decoder) cannot handle DVB-T2.

They will not need a new TV.

They will need an external decoder of some sort. An STB or a PVR. But
they can keep the existing display.

Heck, our bedroom TV (which is used about once a quarter) is a 14 inch
4:3 CRT. With an external STB so it can get digital TV.

If they do go all T2 we'll probably have to replace it, but only because
we won't be able to get a new STB with SCART or composite 576i output.

I'm in a similar position, with kitchen CTR fed by a DVB-T2 decoder
box.

DVB-T2 boxes with SCART are still available in Currys/PC World. I saw
one last week (Manhattan). You might want to buy ahead.
Old April 9th 18, 02:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 08/04/2018 17:03, charles wrote:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 07/04/2018 19:31, NY wrote:
Turning off DVB-T after only about 20 years, and making people buy
*another* new TV and PVR (assuming they were early adopters who bought
DVB-T-only equipment) is going to be a very difficult one to "sell" to
the public.

On a recent C5 program about council house fraud, a housing lady
told us that she is amazed at the reasons people give to turn down a
property. One common reason is 'our TV is too big for the lounge' !!.

when my parents came to sell their house (in 1957) one excuse for not
following up the viewing was "There isn't a gas meter in every bedroom!"

My grandparents took in lodgers. I remember their house in epsom with
a washbasin and slot meter in the upstairs rooms. One had a baby
belling on a corner unit screened off in one corner.
Old April 15th 18, 06:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The Other Mike

wrote:

Heck, our bedroom TV (which is used about once a quarter) is a 14 inch
4:3 CRT. With an external STB so it can get digital TV.

Same here, Sony KV1400 14" 'portable' from the late 70's
A TVonics TVO-STB-111 set top box (tiny triangular cased thing)
and a labgear modulator to convert from scart to RF (the TV having no composite
input)

A dry joint in the tv means it sometimes needs a clout to get the picture in
'positive' mode rather than something with questionable luminance