The Great DVB-T switch off?

Old April 8th 18, 08:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

Default The Great DVB-T switch off?

On 08/04/2018 02:24, Bill Wright wrote:
On 07/04/2018 21:18, Java Jive wrote:
On 07/04/2018 21:14, Bill Wright wrote:
*
Was there ever any feeling amongst the UK population that we should
have unrestricted third world immigration?

No more than there was ever a feeling in this newsgroup that every
thread should be taken immigrated by a paranoid, right-wing nutter.

That was a rather tortuous response!

Just like your injection of your favorite paranoia.

Or was it just silly

If it was, then it was at the right level for you.

Old April 8th 18, 10:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 19:31:18 +0100, "NY" wrote:

Is it true there is a plan in place to move everything to T2 by 2020?

2020 would be too early I think, but I'm sure there's a plan being drafted
out at present, in the meantime plenty of speculation to keep us all
busy......

Turning off DVB-T after only about 20 years, and making people buy *another*
new TV and PVR (assuming they were early adopters who bought DVB-T-only
equipment) is going to be a very difficult one to "sell" to the public.

If existing equipment could be made to work with a firmware update, that
would be great, but for most people, they will need a completely new TV
(including display) and PVR (including HDD, and menu-driven recording)
simply because one component (the DVB decoder) cannot handle DVB-T2.

Set-top boxes are fine as an alternative for televisions, but not for PVRs
because there is no way for the timer-recording functionality of the PVR to
send a "change to channel 1" instruction to the STB so you can never record
from various different channels from unattended timer events.

I actually did this for a while because my first PVR only had an
analogue tuner, but could also record RGB from a SCART input. I had a
separate Freeview receiver with RGB output and a built-in timer that
could make it tune to different channels at different times. It meant
setting two timers in two boxes just to be able to record one
programme at a time, so it was limited and awkward but it could be
done. When I later got a PVR with two Freeview tuners that could
record overlapping programmes and only required me to set one timer
for each programme it felt like luxury.

Old April 8th 18, 11:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 7 April 2018 16:42:15 UTC+1, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Yes which is why I'm a bit annoyed that after digitalisation they seem to
have conveniently forgotten blind users and we will have to buy a tv even if
we don't need the picture at all or buy some overpriced box that is
ridiculously out of date.
The fact is that there are many people who will not want to get a new tv,
and a box with accessible menus would do nicely.
Brian

A basic FTA T2 box or S2 box, would not cost that much - about £20 - £30

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Graham. wrote:

Is it true there is a plan in place to move everything to T2 by 2020?

I've not heard of an actual plan, but I suspect there's an inkling that
they'd keep one DVB-T1 mux with all the PSB channels for the luddites,
then convert the rest to DVB-T2, which would increase bandwidth per mux
and cut down on the wasted bandwidth by SD+HD duplicate channels, probably
lose the temporary COM7/COM8 muxes.

Old April 8th 18, 03:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 07/04/2018 19:31, NY wrote:
Turning off DVB-T after only about 20 years, and making people buy
*another* new TV and PVR (assuming they were early adopters who bought
DVB-T-only equipment) is going to be a very difficult one to "sell" to
the public.

On a recent C5 program about council house fraud, a housing lady
told us that she is amazed at the reasons people give to turn down a
property. One common reason is 'our TV is too big for the lounge' !!.
Old April 8th 18, 03:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Andrew wrote:

On a recent C5 program about council house fraud, a housing lady
told us that she is amazed at the reasons people give to turn down a
property. One common reason is 'our TV is too big for the lounge' !!.

They should go to the bottom of the list ...
Old April 8th 18, 04:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 07/04/2018 19:31, NY wrote:
Turning off DVB-T after only about 20 years, and making people buy
*another* new TV and PVR (assuming they were early adopters who bought
DVB-T-only equipment) is going to be a very difficult one to "sell" to
the public.

On a recent C5 program about council house fraud, a housing lady
told us that she is amazed at the reasons people give to turn down a
property. One common reason is 'our TV is too big for the lounge' !!.

when my parents came to sell their house (in 1957) one excuse for not
following up the viewing was "There isn't a gas meter in every bedroom!"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old April 8th 18, 04:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 08/04/2018 17:03, charles wrote:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 07/04/2018 19:31, NY wrote:
Turning off DVB-T after only about 20 years, and making people buy
*another* new TV and PVR (assuming they were early adopters who bought
DVB-T-only equipment) is going to be a very difficult one to "sell" to
the public.

On a recent C5 program about council house fraud, a housing lady
told us that she is amazed at the reasons people give to turn down a
property. One common reason is 'our TV is too big for the lounge' !!.

when my parents came to sell their house (in 1957) one excuse for not
following up the viewing was "There isn't a gas meter in every bedroom!"

Presumably the prospective purchasers were intending to let it out as
bedsitters or use it as a boarding house.

--
Max Demian
Old April 8th 18, 04:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Andrew wrote:
On 07/04/2018 19:31, NY wrote:
Turning off DVB-T after only about 20 years, and making people buy
*another* new TV and PVR (assuming they were early adopters who bought
DVB-T-only equipment) is going to be a very difficult one to "sell" to
the public.

On a recent C5 program about council house fraud, a housing lady
told us that she is amazed at the reasons people give to turn down a
property. One common reason is 'our TV is too big for the lounge' !!.

when my parents came to sell their house (in 1957) one excuse for not
following up the viewing was "There isn't a gas meter in every bedroom!"

Presumably the prospective purchasers were intending to let it out as
bedsitters or use it as a boarding house.

That's what we thought.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old April 8th 18, 06:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 08/04/2018 16:46, Andrew wrote:
On 07/04/2018 19:31, NY wrote:
Turning off DVB-T after only about 20 years, and making people buy
*another* new TV and PVR (assuming they were early adopters who bought
DVB-T-only equipment) is going to be a very difficult one to "sell" to
the public.

On a recent C5 program about council house fraud, a housing lady
told us that she is amazed at the reasons people give to turn down a
property. One common reason is 'our TV is too big for the lounge' !!.

It wasn't about council house fraud it was about the general business of
housing associations.

Old April 8th 18, 08:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 07/04/2018 19:31, NY wrote:

If existing equipment could be made to work with a firmware update, that
would be great, but for most people, they will need a completely new TV
(including display) and PVR (including HDD, and menu-driven recording)
simply because one component (the DVB decoder) cannot handle DVB-T2.

They will not need a new TV.

They will need an external decoder of some sort. An STB or a PVR. But
they can keep the existing display.

Heck, our bedroom TV (which is used about once a quarter) is a 14 inch
4:3 CRT. With an external STB so it can get digital TV.

If they do go all T2 we'll probably have to replace it, but only because
we won't be able to get a new STB with SCART or composite 576i output.

Andy