Has Com78 National (Ch56) from Rowridge changed?

Old April 7th 18, 10:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Default Has Com78 National (Ch56) from Rowridge changed?

A couple of weeks ago I posted that for some reason my Panasonic PVR
could still pick up Com78 on CH56 using the Group A 18-element loft
aerial. Under the same conditions, the Panasonic TV couldn't see Com78.

Yesterday (before retuning to get the 4 April changes), I had a look at
the Com78 signal strength and quality on the PVR's setup menu. It was
interesting that the signal strength bar was showing 6-7, and quality
was 5 or 6 with a yellow bar. The picture and sound were normal on
CBeebies HD and BBC4 HD. I just retuned, and now Com78 is down in
quality. CBeebies is still showing 6 or 7 for strength, but quality is
at 1 in red (sometimes it gets to 2). Strangely, most of the time the
picture and sound are fine.

I still find it amazing that the PVR can deal with a signal with as poor
a quality as this, which the TV can't even see!

--

Jeff
Old April 7th 18, 11:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 11:48:35 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

A couple of weeks ago I posted that for some reason my Panasonic PVR
could still pick up Com78 on CH56 using the Group A 18-element loft
aerial. Under the same conditions, the Panasonic TV couldn't see Com78.

Yesterday (before retuning to get the 4 April changes), I had a look at
the Com78 signal strength and quality on the PVR's setup menu. It was
interesting that the signal strength bar was showing 6-7, and quality
was 5 or 6 with a yellow bar. The picture and sound were normal on
CBeebies HD and BBC4 HD. I just retuned, and now Com78 is down in
quality. CBeebies is still showing 6 or 7 for strength, but quality is
at 1 in red (sometimes it gets to 2). Strangely, most of the time the
picture and sound are fine.

I still find it amazing that the PVR can deal with a signal with as poor
a quality as this, which the TV can't even see!

My friend has reception problems (probably fault of the communal
aerial), which she can normally resolve by using the Humax box.
Old April 7th 18, 11:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Its all down to signal to noise I'd imagine. If the noise is high, then the
digital signal is below the level that can be detected. This is the problem
with digital, although noisy, you could still watch snowy analogue tv, but
digital is a whole other thing.
Same goes for dab of course.

news

Old April 7th 18, 11:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

In the old days of Analogue one of my jobs was to test tv tuners coming in
from Mullard and Telefunken that our factory used.
The gain and noise over the wide bandwidth was really variable on many of
these tuners, often batch dependent. I often wonder how we are doing on this
front with modern sdr systems now in use. Seems to me that unless there is a
very good preselector, the input can be overloaded by anything anywhere near
the actual frequency, making everything non linear and full of cross mod
problems. I remember playing with onne of these el cheapo devices made in
china. It was pointless using it as a scanner near any large transmitter.

Old April 7th 18, 12:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 07/04/2018 11:48, Jeff Layman wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I posted that for some reason my Panasonic PVR
could still pick up Com78 on CH56 using the Group A 18-element loft
aerial. Under the same conditions, the Panasonic TV couldn't see Com78.

Yesterday (before retuning to get the 4 April changes), I had a look at
the Com78 signal strength and quality on the PVR's setup menu. It was
interesting that the signal strength bar was showing 6-7, and quality
was 5 or 6 with a yellow bar. The picture and sound were normal on
CBeebies HD and BBC4 HD. I just retuned, and now Com78 is down in
quality. CBeebies is still showing 6 or 7 for strength, but quality is
at 1 in red (sometimes it gets to 2).* Strangely, most of the time the
picture and sound are fine.

For clarity, there are two muxes;

COM 7 which is currently still on UHF Ch 31 from Rowridge, but moves to
UHF Ch 55 on May 2nd. COM 7 carries BBC News HD, (and other stuff)

COM 8 which moved on March 21st from Ch 37 to Ch 56. COM 8 carries
BBC 4 HD and Cebeebies HD (and other stuff)

So by May 2nd, both these muxes will be out of range for Group A, and
as a double whammy the transmitting aerial at Rowridge is only half way
up the mast, making them doubly unreceivable.

--
Mark
Old April 7th 18, 02:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 07/04/18 13:11, Mark Carver wrote:
[...]

Sorry, should have been clearer and just referred to COM 8 on Ch 56. I
was just puzzled why COM 8 on Ch 56 seemed to have dropped from
yesterday's quality to that following today's retune. It will be
interesting to see what happens to COM 7 on the Panny PVR when that
changes to Ch 55 next month.

--

Jeff
Old April 7th 18, 09:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Mills[_2_]

[...]

ISTR that Rowridge uses both horizontal and vertical polarisation, with
vertical having a stronger signal. Which way up is your aerial?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old April 7th 18, 09:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 07/04/2018 22:19, Roger Mills wrote:

ISTR that Rowridge uses both horizontal and vertical polarisation, with
vertical having a stronger signal.

That's true, but COM 7 and 8 are (and always have been) HP only

--
Mark
Old April 7th 18, 09:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 07/04/18 22:19, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Mine is horizontal. Both vertical and horizontal are the same regarding
transmitter power, although Com7 and 8 are only transmitted on
horizontal at much reduced power compared to the other muxes. See
https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Rowridge.

--

Jeff
Old April 8th 18, 06:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 07/04/2018 22:39, Jeff Layman wrote:

ISTR that Rowridge uses both horizontal and vertical polarisation, with
vertical having a stronger signal. Which way up is your aerial?

Mine is horizontal. Both vertical and horizontal are the same regarding
transmitter power, although Com7 and 8 are only transmitted on
horizontal at much reduced power compared to the other muxes. See
https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Rowridge.

No No No !!

How many times do I have to say, UK Free is a pile of ****e

PSBs from Rowridge are 200kW H and V, COM 4/5/6 are 50kW H, and 200kW V

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/in...tter-frequency

COM 7 IS 24kW H only, COM 8 18kW H only

--
Mark