Retune for Ch. 10

Old April 6th 18, 11:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default Retune for Ch. 10

Usually, when there is a retune needed, I see warnings for a few days
beforehand. But last night, with no warning, we were told to retune if
we wanted to continue to watch Ch. 10, ITV3. I did, and it worked.
This is for Tacolneston.

I tried another TV set this morning, and got the same message.
Why no pre-warning, I wonder?

--
Davey.
Old April 6th 18, 12:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Davey" wrote in message
news
Usually, when there is a retune needed, I see warnings for a few days
beforehand. But last night, with no warning, we were told to retune if
we wanted to continue to watch Ch. 10, ITV3. I did, and it worked.
This is for Tacolneston.

I tried another TV set this morning, and got the same message.
Why no pre-warning, I wonder?

I was surprised that there was very little pre-warning for ITV3. They
introduced the 720x576 version of ITV3 (initially as LCN 788) while leaving
the 544x576 version on LCN 10, with no trailers that I saw about "coming
soon - a higher-resolution version". Then they swapped over the LCNs so 10
now pointed to the 720 version and 788 to the 544 version, before putting up
the "you must retune" caption on 788.

As soon as the 720 version came on line (I heard about it on
https://www.a516digital.com/p/freeview-updates.html) and I'd confirmed that
it was stable, I swapped over the channel numbers on my PVR computer (I use
Next PVR) and set the EPG source for 788 to "none" so any advance recordings
would only record the 720 and not, by accident, the 544 version. In other
words, I anticipated the official swapping of 10 and 788 by several weeks
:-)

Old April 6th 18, 12:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Davey wrote:

Why no pre-warning, I wonder?

"they" no longer give a **** ...

Old April 6th 18, 12:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 13:15:25 +0100
Andy Burns wrote:

Davey wrote:

Why no pre-warning, I wonder?

"they" no longer give a **** ...

So it would seem.

--
Davey.
Old April 6th 18, 03:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Probably given up since nobody tells anyone what the soup is going on most
of the time!

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Davey wrote:

Why no pre-warning, I wonder?

"they" no longer give a **** ...

Old April 6th 18, 03:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Does this apply everywhere, and what does this do for SD only tvs and boxes?

"Davey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 13:15:25 +0100
Andy Burns wrote:

Davey wrote:

Why no pre-warning, I wonder?

"they" no longer give a **** ...

So it would seem.

--
Davey.

Old April 6th 18, 06:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Fri, 06 Apr 2018 13:15:25 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Davey wrote:

Why no pre-warning, I wonder?

"they" no longer give a **** ...

I suspect they didn't want to admit to the fact that they'd been fobbing
off their 'product' with substandard video resolution for the last decade
or so.

--
Johnny B Good
Old April 6th 18, 06:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 16:22:05 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Does this apply everywhere, and what does this do for SD only tvs and
boxes? Brian

I discovered it on an SD-only set, but whether it applies anywhere
other than Tacolneston, I can't say without doing some digging. maybe
somebody else who knows more about this stuff can help.

--
Davey.
Old April 6th 18, 07:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Does this apply everywhere, and what does this do for SD only tvs and
boxes?

The issue with changeover from one version of ITV3 to the other, and the
later retune message, will affect all transmitters simultaneously - I can't
think of any reason why it would be transmitter-specific.

Since the move was from one DVB-T mux (COM6, I think) to another (PSB2) it
would affect all TVs, whether they are capable of DVB-T only, or capable of
DVB-T and DVB-T2.

The change in resolution was from 544x576 (what I think of as sub-SD) to
720x576 (true SD), so not an upgrade from SD (which can use either DVB-T or
DVB-T2) to HD (which must use DVB-T2).

Old April 6th 18, 07:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Charles F[_3_]

"Davey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 16:22:05 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Does this apply everywhere, and what does this do for SD only tvs and
boxes? Brian

I discovered it on an SD-only set, but whether it applies anywhere
other than Tacolneston, I can't say without doing some digging. maybe
somebody else who knows more about this stuff can help.

--
Davey.

Same thing has happened on Crystal Palace, and the "retune now" notice has
been seen on an HD Humax, and two little SD only TVs. All retuned
successfully.

I had looked up the channel allocations for 10/ITV3, and could not see why a
retune was required - so it's useful to hear that it's beacause of a change
of resolution issue - that information has been remarkably well hidden.

Charles F

---