Retune for Ch. 10

Old April 7th 18, 06:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

Default Retune for Ch. 10

On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 18:30:58 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

Does this apply everywhere, and what does this do for SD only tvs and
boxes? Brian

I discovered it on an SD-only set, but whether it applies anywhere
other than Tacolneston, I can't say without doing some digging. maybe
somebody else who knows more about this stuff can help.

I noticed it after the 21st march retune and was wondering where it came
from. Freeview channel 10 is now on LCN 29 from Midhurst which my 2
tvs struggle with, but this new one is inside the range of my loft-
mounted cheapo C/D aerial. In fact 10 now just says 'data service'.

I hadn't noticed it at all until reading this discussion about it, but
on checking channel 10 on my Panasonic PVR, sure enough, there was a
caption saying I'd have to retune, which I did (or to be precise I
chose "update channel list" which is a bit less catastrophic if I have
programmed recordings) and it was fixed. This from Winter Hill. It was
showing an episode of Columbo, but I already have about a dozen
recorded Columbos I haven't got round to watching yet, which is
probably why I was slow to discover the non-availability of the ones
they were showing today.

Old April 7th 18, 10:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

On 06/04/2018 12:14, Davey wrote:
Usually, when there is a retune needed, I see warnings for a few days
beforehand. But last night, with no warning, we were told to retune if
we wanted to continue to watch Ch. 10, ITV3. I did, and it worked.
This is for Tacolneston.

I tried another TV set this morning, and got the same message.
Why no pre-warning, I wonder?

Thanks for the heads-up. For the Crystal Palace transmitter, ITV3 has
moved from COM4 UHF channel 25 to PSB2 UHF channel 26. I tried manual
tuning various UHF channels until I found it on 26.

My TV could be successfully retuned, but my Hitachi PVR still said
"retune" after I had retuned. I then deleted ITV3 and re-scanned. ITV3
appears in the list of channels found on UHF 26, but it now does not
appear at all in the main programme listing.

I suppose some sort of encoding change is not one that the PVR can decode.
--
Dave W
Old April 7th 18, 11:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

On 07/04/2018 23:54, Dave W wrote:
[...]

According to www.a516digital.com, a 'New Installation' scan is required.
I did that and now ITV3 is restored.
--
Dave W
Old April 8th 18, 12:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 00:11:52 +0100
Dave W wrote:

[...]

Yes, I always do a full new scan when this happens, and my Humax
understood what was happening, as did the two TV sets. Following much
advice here, I don't bother with 'updating' channel retunes.

On the Humax, because I have the Customised Firmware, restoring the
previous scheduled recording list was easy, a few mouse clicks.

One does wonder when the next unannounced retune will be required,
however.

--
Davey.
Old April 8th 18, 04:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin Barclay[_2_]

On Fri, 06 Apr 2018 12:14:55 +0100, Davey wrote:

Usually, when there is a retune needed, I see warnings for a few days
beforehand. But last night, with no warning, we were told to retune if we
wanted to continue to watch Ch. 10, ITV3. I did, and it worked. This is
for Tacolneston.

I tried another TV set this morning, and got the same message. Why no
pre-warning, I wonder?

rant

WHY the blue f**king blazes do they have to keep playing about changing
things? Do the morons think we have nothing better to do, than keep
retuning tvs & pvrs etc? FFS.
Old April 8th 18, 04:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Martin Barclay wrote:

WHY the blue f**king blazes do they have to keep playing about changing
things?

Well in this case, it was related to a *good* thing ... upgrading ITV3
from low-res SD 544x576 to standard-res SD 720x576.
Old April 8th 18, 04:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 08/04/2018 17:06, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Barclay wrote:

WHY the blue f**king blazes do they have to keep playing about changing
things?

Well in this case, it was related to a *good* thing ... upgrading ITV3
from low-res SD 544x576 to standard-res SD 720x576.

So they should do the changes all at once, not more than once a year.

--
Max Demian
Old April 8th 18, 09:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin Barclay[_2_]

Martin Barclay wrote:

WHY the blue f**king blazes do they have to keep playing about changing
things?

Well in this case, it was related to a *good* thing ... upgrading ITV3
from low-res SD 544x576 to standard-res SD 720x576.

So they should do the changes all at once, not more than once a year.

Absolutely. IMO it's about time they got their act together.
Old April 9th 18, 08:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Martin Barclay wrote:

WHY the blue f**king blazes do they have to keep playing about changing
things?

Well in this case, it was related to a *good* thing ... upgrading ITV3
from low-res SD 544x576 to standard-res SD 720x576.

So they should do the changes all at once, not more than once a year.

Absolutely. IMO it's about time they got their act together.

"They" had their act going well and the government decided to sell off some
of the TV frequencies for mobile phone use - again.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old April 9th 18, 09:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 09/04/2018 09:48, charles wrote:

Martin Barclay wrote:

WHY the blue f**king blazes do they have to keep playing about changing
things?

Well in this case, it was related to a *good* thing ... upgrading ITV3
from low-res SD 544x576 to standard-res SD 720x576.

So they should do the changes all at once, not more than once a year.

Absolutely. IMO it's about time they got their act together.

"They" had their act going well and the government decided to sell off some
of the TV frequencies for mobile phone use - again.

Did the UK government have much choice in practice? I thought that
clearance of both the 800 and 700 Mhz bands were multilateral decisions
among ITU (and with the EU Commission and Parliament pressing for EU
legislation if member States didn't get on with it).

--
Robin