Retune for Ch. 10

Old April 6th 18, 08:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Default Retune for Ch. 10

Charles F wrote:

I had looked up the channel allocations for 10/ITV3, and could not see why a
retune was required - so it's useful to hear that it's beacause of a change
of resolution issue - that information has been remarkably well hidden.

Somebody mentioned here at the end of Feb the adding of an extra LCN for
the higher resolution version of itv3, presumably this is related to
removing the low res version for any sets that haven't switched over?

Old April 6th 18, 09:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 06/04/2018 20:55, Charles F wrote:
"Davey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 16:22:05 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Does this apply everywhere, and what does this do for SD only tvs and
boxes? Brian

I discovered it on an SD-only set, but whether it applies anywhere
other than Tacolneston, I can't say without doing some digging. maybe
somebody else who knows more about this stuff can help.

Same thing has happened on Crystal Palace, and the "retune now" notice
has been seen on an HD Humax, and two little SD only TVs. All retuned
successfully.

I had looked up the channel allocations for 10/ITV3, and could not see
why a retune was required - so it's useful to hear that it's beacause of
a change of resolution issue - that information has been remarkably well
hidden.

How are people who record everything supposed to know about these
changes until they find a recording has failed? The EPG is still showing
the programming. I think I'll stick with the 788 version for now to
avoid /yet another/ retune.

--
Max Demian
Old April 7th 18, 07:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes well my remote control chose last night to go into the 'I'll randomly
send commands no matter what you do' mode making it impossible for me to
retune the box.
Good old Goodmans.
I seem to now have it 3 on channel 803 and lots of dummy channels that say
no signal check your aerial.
I have to cover the face of the remote with my hand and go to the channel
for a split second then cover it again to select them. I do wish people who
design things would once again put controls on the device say under a flap
so people can use them sensibly while they find a new remote.
Grr.

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
On Fri, 06 Apr 2018 13:15:25 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Davey wrote:

Why no pre-warning, I wonder?

"they" no longer give a **** ...

I suspect they didn't want to admit to the fact that they'd been fobbing
off their 'product' with substandard video resolution for the last decade
or so.

--
Johnny B Good

Old April 7th 18, 10:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 06/04/2018 20:55, Charles F wrote:
"Davey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 16:22:05 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

[...]

I *think* you can get away with doing this. The TV/PVR will keep a list of
LCNs and the associated UHF channel and PID which it gathered when it was
doing its channel scan. If the transmitted list changes (as it has), that
won't stop the PVR accessing the channel by its UHF and PID. If you were to
retune, the only difference would be that the channel would be LCN 10
instead of 788, but still with the same UHF and PID. But don't try to record
anything from what on your PVR is LCN 10, because that will be pointing to
the obsolete UHF and PID which are currently displaying the retune slate and
will presumably disappear altogether in due course.

Beware of the fact that both versions of ITV3 probably still have the same
entries in the EPG, so if you search for a programme by its name (as opposed
to by channel and time in the EPG grid) then there's a 50:50 chance that
your PVR will select the obsolete 544 version. I don't *think* the EPG
entries for the 544 version have been removed yet, which they should have
been to avoid this problem. I can't check because I manually edited my
channel list after retuning to remove the 544 version and its (new) 788 LCN.
Previously I manually set the EPG source for the obsolete version to "none"
so I didn't have two listings for each programme.

It's useful using PC software to record, rather than a dedicated PVR box,
because software such as Next PVR allows you to do things that a PVR's
firmware wouldn't - such as editing the LCN-versus-UHF/PID list and its EPG
source, and delete obsolete entries altogther.

Old April 7th 18, 10:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I do wish people who design things would once again put controls on the
device say under a flap so people can use them sensibly while they find a
new remote.

I quite agree. Batteries in remotes *do* go flat from time to time, and you
can guarantee that when it happens you've forgotten where your AA or AAA
batteries are kept, and that when you find them, at least one of them will
be flat, preventing the remote working.

For times like that, you need a few essential controls (menu, change
channel, anything else needed to navigate and select from menus) on
hard-wired buttons somewhere on the device.

Old April 7th 18, 11:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

On 07/04/2018 11:52, NY wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news

I do wish people who design things would once again put controls on
the device say under a flap so people can use them sensibly while they
find a new remote.

I quite agree. Batteries in remotes *do* go flat from time to time, and
you can guarantee that when it happens you've forgotten where your AA or
AAA batteries are kept, and that when you find them, at least one of
them will be flat, preventing the remote working.

For times like that, you need a few essential controls (menu, change
channel, anything else needed to navigate and select from menus) on
hard-wired buttons somewhere on the device.

A while back, when mobiles and PDAs used IR, there were apps that could
let you program, say, your Palm Pilot to function as a remote for your
TV, but I have no idea whether it would be possible to do the same with
the current technologies?

But the above reminds of an email at my former place of work ...

"Subject: The xxx Hotel - Aberdeen

All

Yes! For a refreshing and relaxing break why not try the
xxx Hotel, Aberdeen.

Situated right by the docks, with all that implies for
interesting night life, the exotic aroma of diesel and
dead fish, this fine hotel boasts:

Room 309 ...

* A door that can only be closed from the outside, even
when kicked savagely. Sleep all night secure in the
knowledge that guests won't have to knock to get in.

* Single glazed windows (that won't quite shut) to give
you the full flavour of the vibrant (f.loud) all night
dockside.

* A bathroom with no bath and a shower that leaks up to
half an inch of filthy water on the floor - especially
handy if the only bathtowel has slipped off the rail
before you have got into the shower.

* A bathroom extract fan with a special wake-up facility.
A deafening noise continuing for 35 mins after you have
turned the light off. Perform your functions in the
dark! An amusing challenge!

* A remote only TV with no remote - removing the front
panel would occupy a bad-tempered rhinocerous for most
of the evening.

* Room service which brings you the starter you didn't
order, the correct main course (surely a mistake), no
dessert and no drink. You don't want to overeat, do
you?

* A bar full of foreign trawlermen - the Germans and
Norwegians in lively discussion about fish - in the
final stages of homicidal inebriation.

* Doors and floorboards SO noisy that even the smallest
movement in the room above sounded as though 3 fat men
were rollerskating in a tin bath.

* A 7.15 wake up call at 6.30. 7.30 breakfast at 8.00.

* If you forget anything - eg a razor - the obliging
hotel staff will reel in amazement at your request for
a replacement and in such an amusing manner too.

* and best of all.......in the wee small hours of the
morning as you lie sleeplessly in your lacerated
blankets a small multi-legged thing will find your leg
and scurry amongst the hairs thereon. In the interest
of developing correct posture and preserving wildlife
sleeping on the floor wrapped in your overcoat is
recommended.

To encourage familiarity with your surroundings a change
of room will not be possible as all the others are full
of hardened seafaring types sleeping off the effects of
48hr drinking binges.

Thoughtfully, a form is left in your bedside drawer so
you can tell us what a pleasant stay you have had and why
you would like to come back. Rest assured, dearly
beloved, I have told them - in several short and well
chosen phrases.

Yrs
Mr McAngry
"
Old April 7th 18, 11:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes in my case as far as I am aware there is no talking set top box
manufactured at all for the blind now, so many of us have been buying up old
goodmans and TVonics boxes to keep our system going, rather than shell out
on a smart tv with speech which if totally blind is buying a display we
will never use.

Seems to me that pvrs like the old tv onics would be using the same chipsets
as that box had, so its only the software that needs to be written, indeed
if it was based on Android and the apps written to use the Android built in
screenreaderer or Samsungs or Amazons ones, then we would be in a level
playing field situation here.

I have a guy now looking at the goodmans remotes and trying to retrofit
buttons that either work or at least do not fail completely or get stuck on.
It seems the problem is the sticky gunge which is slightly conductive on the
bottom of the rubber buttons either falls into the well stopping the button
when it hardens, or shorts it out making it operate all the time till you
give it a hard clout on something.
Not built to last.

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
news

Old April 7th 18, 11:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

On 07/04/2018 12:36, Brian Gaff wrote:

I have a guy now looking at the goodmans remotes and trying to retrofit
buttons that either work or at least do not fail completely or get stuck on.
It seems the problem is the sticky gunge which is slightly conductive on the
bottom of the rubber buttons either falls into the well stopping the button
when it hardens, or shorts it out making it operate all the time till you
give it a hard clout on something.

Buy a programmable One-For-All from Tescos, IIRC cost around £15 -
that's what I did when my TV remote started failing to turn the TV on
and off, and to mute/unmute the sound. With some luck, you may find the
codes for your box are already programmed into it, you just have to
enter some sequence to make them the default. Failing that, the guy
that's helping you fix the current one could programme it using your old
remote.
Old April 7th 18, 12:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
sintv[_2_]

Having a few sets and PVRs to retune shows the differences.

Humax Youview box retunes itself
Samsung LED needs manual retune
Panasonic LED needs manual retune but keeps the HD channels in pos 1 - 5 but Panasonic Vestel type lost swapped HD
All others Iv done for customers loses any swapped HD channels which is a pain

Apparently CH10 was working then went off halfway through the programme on Blackhill anyway.
Old April 7th 18, 05:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 06/04/2018 19:31, Davey wrote:
On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 16:22:05 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Does this apply everywhere, and what does this do for SD only tvs and
boxes? Brian

I discovered it on an SD-only set, but whether it applies anywhere
other than Tacolneston, I can't say without doing some digging. maybe
somebody else who knows more about this stuff can help.

I noticed it after the 21st march retune and was wondering where it came
from. Freeview channel 10 is now on LCN 29 from Midhurst which my 2
tvs struggle with, but this new one is inside the range of my loft-
mounted cheapo C/D aerial. In fact 10 now just says 'data service'.