End of unjustifed geoblocking within EU

Old April 9th 18, 12:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Default End of unjustifed geoblocking within EU

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
On 09/04/2018 10:05, Martin wrote:

Interestingly (well to me at least) BBC satellite transmissions are
easily receiveable in Iceland. Seems the beam forgets to stop at
Scotland and just keeps on going....

Not very surprising if you do some 3 dimensional geometry.

It is more than that. It depends on the satellite's antennas footprint
too.

I think you miss Charles' point. As viewed from the satellite N Scotland
and S Iceland are very close together!

Precisely

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old April 9th 18, 04:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 09/04/2018 12:59, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

AIUI these are received on large terrestrial aerials on the coast and distributed by cable. Long predates mass market satellite.

Your information certainly predates mass market satellite.

Old April 9th 18, 04:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 09/04/2018 14:03, Martin wrote:

On the same basis northern Iceland is also not far away, but only the southern
tip of Iceland is in the footprint.
https://ukfree.tv/extras/satellite_footprints

That isn't because of beam shaping by the satellite tx, it's because the
elevation angle at the rx drops to 0deg.

Thirty-two years ago there was a 'summit' conference in Reykjavik and
CNN (etc) wanted to get live pictures out. I don't know what satellite
location they used but I know the big dishes were pretty-well looking at
the horizon and atmospheric absorption was a problem.

Old April 10th 18, 09:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ashley Booth[_3_]

Bill Wright wrote:

On 09/04/2018 14:03, Martin wrote:

On the same basis northern Iceland is also not far away, but only
the southern tip of Iceland is in the footprint.
https://ukfree.tv/extras/satellite_footprints

That isn't because of beam shaping by the satellite tx, it's because
the elevation angle at the rx drops to 0deg.

Thirty-two years ago there was a 'summit' conference in Reykjavik and
CNN (etc) wanted to get live pictures out. I don't know what
satellite location they used but I know the big dishes were
pretty-well looking at the horizon and atmospheric absorption was a
problem.

Bill

Here's a photo of that summit.
http://www.bmanor.co.uk/pics/Harwell...celand_day.jpg

--
Ashley. An ex-ITN satellite engineer

---

Old April 10th 18, 09:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_2_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on April 17, 2018.

On 10 Apr 2018 09:07:46 GMT, "Ashley Booth" wrote:

Bill Wright wrote:

On 09/04/2018 14:03, Martin wrote:

On the same basis northern Iceland is also not far away, but only
the southern tip of Iceland is in the footprint.
https://ukfree.tv/extras/satellite_footprints

That isn't because of beam shaping by the satellite tx, it's because
the elevation angle at the rx drops to 0deg.

Yes but the limitation of Freesat in mainland Europe is done via the satellites
antennas.

Thirty-two years ago there was a 'summit' conference in Reykjavik and
CNN (etc) wanted to get live pictures out. I don't know what
satellite location they used but I know the big dishes were
pretty-well looking at the horizon and atmospheric absorption was a
problem.

Bill

Here's a photo of that summit.
http://www.bmanor.co.uk/pics/Harwell...celand_day.jpg

--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old April 10th 18, 10:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ashley Booth[_3_]

Ashley Booth wrote:

Bill Wright wrote:

On 09/04/2018 14:03, Martin wrote:

On the same basis northern Iceland is also not far away, but only
the southern tip of Iceland is in the footprint.
https://ukfree.tv/extras/satellite_footprints

That isn't because of beam shaping by the satellite tx, it's because
the elevation angle at the rx drops to 0deg.

Thirty-two years ago there was a 'summit' conference in Reykjavik
and CNN (etc) wanted to get live pictures out. I don't know what
satellite location they used but I know the big dishes were
pretty-well looking at the horizon and atmospheric absorption was a
problem.

Bill

Here's a photo of that summit.
http://www.bmanor.co.uk/pics/Harwell...Iceland_day.jp

And here's me with a smaller version of that Marconi dish in Eastbourne

--

---

Old April 10th 18, 11:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Ashley Booth wrote:

http://www.bmanor.co.uk/pics/Harwell...celand_day.jpg

And here's me with a smaller version of that Marconi dish in Eastbourne

White dish in a snowstorm?

Old April 10th 18, 11:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/04/2018 10:48, Martin wrote:

That isn't because of beam shaping by the satellite tx, it's because
the elevation angle at the rx drops to 0deg.

Yes but the limitation of Freesat in mainland Europe is done via the satellites
antennas.

That isn't what we were on about.