BBC News CHannel 107

Old March 28th 18, 02:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

Default BBC News CHannel 107

On 28/03/2018 14:01, Bill Wright wrote:
On 28/03/2018 07:53, Mark Carver wrote:

When C4 started (on Ch 23) that was out of band for original
Rhode and Schwarz aerial system [1] so that was replaced
with a wider bandwidth EMI slot system. I think that had a sharper
beam tilt, to cause less grief 'way down south' ?

Bilsdale story:-
http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallery...44&pageid=2145

[1]* You see, it's not just at the receiving end you need to replace
your aerial due to frequency changes etc !

Didn't know that.

I think, the original 4 channel allocation for 'Bilsdale' at the 1961
Stockholm conference was 26,29,33, and low 40-something (couldn't have
been 42, coz that's 33+9 ! ) Perhaps 39 ?

--
Mark
Old March 28th 18, 04:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 28/03/2018 15:02, NY wrote:

I'm amazed how far north east Emley Moor goes. When we were looking at a
house in Snainton, not far from Scarborough, they got TV from Emley
Moor. Bilsdale was a complete non-starter because of local hills and
Scarborough Oliver's Mount was almost completely obstructed.

Yes, the villages along that road are generally on slightly high ground,
and have a clear view across the low-lying Vale of Pickering towards
Emley. Bilsdale as you say is hopeless, and in fact there's a great long
swathe of country at the southern foot of the moors that is screened
from Bilsdale, and has to use Emley or Weaverthorpe. This situation
extends right across to Ampleforth and the surrounding area.

Of course the locals prefer Emley sub-region to Bilsdale, so that's
another factor.

There's a similar situation in many parts of Barnsley and that lovely
town's environs. I've installed many a Belmont aerial within five miles
of Emley.

Old March 28th 18, 04:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 28/03/2018 15:10, Mark Carver wrote:
On 28/03/2018 14:01, Bill Wright wrote:
On 28/03/2018 07:53, Mark Carver wrote:

When C4 started (on Ch 23) that was out of band for original
Rhode and Schwarz aerial system [1] so that was replaced
with a wider bandwidth EMI slot system. I think that had a sharper
beam tilt, to cause less grief 'way down south' ?

Bilsdale story:-
http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallery...44&pageid=2145

[1]* You see, it's not just at the receiving end you need to replace
your aerial due to frequency changes etc !

Didn't know that.

I think, the original 4 channel allocation for 'Bilsdale' at the 1961
Stockholm conference was 26,29,33, and low 40-something (couldn't have
been 42, coz that's 33+9 ! ) Perhaps 39 ?

Sort of ties in with the channel groups available when we first started
using imported European/Scandi aerials. I very vaguely remember the 'Gp
A' products went up to ch42 or thereabouts.

Old March 28th 18, 05:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 28/03/2018 15:02, NY wrote:

[...]

Where we used to live (at the top of Whitwell Hill just off the A64) most
people had aerials pointing to Bilsdale, but I noticed the guy opposite had
his pointing to Emley. I wonder what his reception was like, given that
Whitwell Hill was right behind his back garden.

Old March 28th 18, 06:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 28/03/2018 17:49, Bill Wright wrote:
I think, the original 4 channel allocation for 'Bilsdale' at the 1961
Stockholm conference was 26,29,33, and low 40-something (couldn't have
been 42, coz that's 33+9 ! ) Perhaps 39 ?

Sort of ties in with the channel groups available when we first started
using imported European/Scandi aerials. I very vaguely remember the 'Gp
A' products went up to ch42 or thereabouts.

Having 23,26,29,33, and (say) 39 with directional aerials on two out of
the five might have been a solution for the great YTV vs Tyne Tees problem !

--
Mark