The BBC have (22 hours ago) screwed GIP's search functions yetagain!

Old March 24th 18, 02:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux
Johnny B Good[_2_]

Default The BBC have (22 hours ago) screwed GIP's search functions yetagain!

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 09:32:27 +0000, Jim Lesurf wrote:

In article , Johnny B Good
wrote:
I'll just have to grit my teeth (like everyone else) and work around
the problem until an update to the PPA is picked up by Linux Mint's
software updater.

If the problem has been fixed upstream can you not simply fetch the gip
code from there and use that? I run xfce mint and do that when I want
the latest version. I've not needed to use the mint repos, so don't have
to wait for them to update.

I've added the GiP "PPA" to Linux Mint's software package distro list so
I should see an updated version appear a few days later. Copying and
pasting individual pids from a web browser might be onerous but at least
it's an effective work around I can live with for a few days extra until
the next fix is applied.

BTW Not quite "everyone". I've always used the method of listing the
pids and fetching via pid. This seems to work regardless of the BBC
altering the negotiations needed to 'scrape' the info from their pages
in an automated manner. I just use mark 1 eyeball to look at the
shedules pages and use the entries as shown by my browser to type in the
pids I want.

That system is fine when you're only after an average of two or three
programme downloads per day but the task becomes rather more onerous when
you're downloading half a dozen or more programmes a day to 'refresh'
existing off-air SD recordings with hd1 iPlayer downloads and operating
on a less fastidious "Shoot First, Ask Questions Later" acquisition
principle inherited from the days of off-air recordings only and the
cautionary advice, "When it's gone, it's gone, so record it even if
you're not sure since it takes but a moment to delete anything that
proves to be a waste of disk space."

Being able to hit the up arrow key three times to recall, the --force --
get n1 n2, --force --available-since 8 .* and the --force --refresh
commands successively, waiting for the responses and repeating the
sequence another two times so you are back to the --force --get n1 n2 to
edit new n1 n2 etc values picked out from the --force --available-since
8 .* listing, is a whole lot slicker than copying and pasting pids from a
web browser page reached by clicking the programme's link in the
appropriate BBC channel's TV listing page, into a comma separated list of
pids that you can ultimately copy and paste into Konsole. Submitting a
batch of pids to the --force --pid command is a whole lot more efficient
use of your time compared to submitting pids one at a time.

Gathering a bunch of pids to build up a list in a text file is almost as
wasteful of time as copying and pasting individual pids from the web
browser one at a time but the payoff comes when you unleash GiP on a
batch of pids and you can either wander off to do something else than sit
hunched over the keyboard waiting to grab another pid from your web
browser, or else, edit the 5 minute place marker recording's file names
created by Kaffeine, ready to be copied and pasted over the names of the
GiP downloads as they complete so you have more useful media filenames in
the form of "Series/Programme name 1-6 20180324 episode name.mp4" in the
case of an example recording for today of episode one of a six episode
series. The name/episode/date/episode name format has served me well for
just over a decade of off-air recording activity and I'm not about to
simply accept the longer and less descriptive name format used by Gip
ever.

GiP's indexed listing of programmes and pids is a boon to the profligate
collector like me so I do feel its loss whenever the Beeb makes a change
that catches GiP on the hop like this. I'll be glad to see the current
issue fixed and everything back to 'normal'. More casual or fastidious
users may not be overly bothered but others like myself will surely be
put out by the recent action of the Beeb which has effectively disabled
GiP's indexing feature.

Whether I represent a majority of GiP's users or not is, admittedly, a
moot point. Maybe most users, like yourself, see very little additional
inconvenience by this change so I don't see any point in arguing against
your point of view in the matter other than to state that it does matter
to me. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old March 24th 18, 02:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 11:40:21 +0000, Richard Kettlewell wrote:

Johnny B Good writes:
Following up on the above, I discovered an issue with retrieving news
headers (Pan) about an hour after sending the OP. Usenet was
effectively dead to me. I assumed either a DNS issue or a problem with
VM's news server. However, Linux Mint's software updater was also
having problems so I decided to check the SH2 modem/router status which
looked good before I decided to reboot it which made no difference to
the issue I was seeing. Even power cycling the Netgear 8 port GBe
switch (which can sometimes create some oddball networking issues from
time to time) made no change.

As far as I could see, everything at my end was working ok (I'd
already
successfully pinged google's DNS server at 8.8.8.8) so it looked like
there was something gone wrong with my ISP (VM) in the wee small hours
of this morning.

VM had an outage last night, only fully resolved this morning.

https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/junk/20180324.png

Thanks for confirming my suspicion with regard to failed access to their
news server. I know this has nothing to do with the current GiP issue,
being merely a matter of coincidence in this case. BTW, where did you get
that graph from? And, what was the ping frequency? Also, I spotted a
couple of brief periods of packet loss during the afternoon of the 22nd.

When I did my ping test, it was to Google's DNS server which returned
all ping requests without packet loss. I can't see the address being
pinged from that image. Presumably it VM's DNS server being pinged. The
image seems to have been processed to 'protect the guilty'. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old March 24th 18, 04:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article ,
Johnny B Good wrote:
Gathering a bunch of pids to build up a list in a text file is almost as
wasteful of time as copying and pasting individual pids from the web
browser one at a time but the payoff comes when you unleash GiP on a
batch of pids and you can either wander off to do something else

In effect, that's what I do.

I write a list of the pids in a text file during the day sometime. I need
to look at the shedules anyway to check what I want.

The next morning, I then drop that file onto a simple program I wrote. This
then calls gip and does the fetches whilst I make breakfast. Means I can do
two things at once and get the programmes before 9am. i.e. before the time
when it would be counted against the amount/month which is metered. And
when the available rate is consistently high.

Suites me fine.

Old March 24th 18, 06:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 17:16:44 +0000, Jim Lesurf wrote:

In article ,
Johnny B Good wrote:
Gathering a bunch of pids to build up a list in a text file is almost
as wasteful of time as copying and pasting individual pids from the web
browser one at a time but the payoff comes when you unleash GiP on a
batch of pids and you can either wander off to do something else

In effect, that's what I do.

I write a list of the pids in a text file during the day sometime. I
need to look at the shedules anyway to check what I want.

The next morning, I then drop that file onto a simple program I wrote.
This then calls gip and does the fetches whilst I make breakfast. Means
I can do two things at once and get the programmes before 9am. i.e.
before the time when it would be counted against the amount/month which
is metered. And when the available rate is consistently high.

Suites me fine.

I can see that it would. :-)

I don't have that problem with VM. Generally, most of the hd1 downloads
come in at around the 65 to 70 Mbps mark though, oddly, a lot of the sd1
downloads often run at half that speed or even slower.

Mind you, I expect you would normally utilise the download by index
number option when it's working simply because it's a lot less effort.

--
Johnny B Good
Old March 25th 18, 02:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Fri, 23 Mar 2018 17:43:30 +0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

====snip====

I'll just have to grit my teeth (like everyone else) and work
around the problem until an update to the PPA is picked up by Linux
Mint's software updater.

Apropos of which, the update materialised some time between 01:00 and
01:15 Z today (Sunday morning) just over an hour ago. I've applied the
update and GiP seems to be back to normal. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old March 25th 18, 09:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Johnny B Good
wrote:

Apropos of which, the update materialised some time between 01:00 and
01:15 Z today (Sunday morning) just over an hour ago. I've applied the
update and GiP seems to be back to normal. :-)

GIP v3.13 has been announced on the gip email list

Old March 25th 18, 09:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux
Richard Kettlewell[_2_]

Johnny B Good writes:
On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 11:40:21 +0000, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
VM had an outage last night, only fully resolved this morning.

https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/junk/20180324.png

Thanks for confirming my suspicion with regard to failed access to
their news server. I know this has nothing to do with the current GiP
issue, being merely a matter of coincidence in this case. BTW, where
did you get that graph from?

My own monitoring.

And, what was the ping frequency? Also, I spotted a couple of brief
periods of packet loss during the afternoon of the 22nd.

When I did my ping test, it was to Google's DNS server which returned
all ping requests without packet loss. I can't see the address being
pinged from that image. Presumably it VM's DNS server being
pinged. The image seems to have been processed to 'protect the
guilty'. :-)

I don’t use VM’s DNS server and that’s not what’s being pinged.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Old March 25th 18, 12:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.comp.os.linux
[email protected]

On Sun, 25 Mar 2018 10:25:35 +0100, Jim Lesurf
wrote:

In article , Johnny B Good
wrote:

Apropos of which, the update materialised some time between 01:00 and
01:15 Z today (Sunday morning) just over an hour ago. I've applied the
update and GiP seems to be back to normal. :-)

GIP v3.13 has been announced on the gip email list

Jim

Update available now for Mint 18.3.
--
Pete