from another group

Old March 22nd 18, 09:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default from another group

On Thursday, 22 March 2018 20:45:55 UTC, James Heaton wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 22/03/2018 01:33, Bill Wright wrote:
30 valves, 400watts, took two men to carry, then they had to spend half
an afternoon setting up the convergence. But it was affected by the
earth's magnetic field so if the customer moved the set at all it all had
to be done again.
I'm so glad I lived long enough to escape from all that 1960s ****e.
Bloody cassette recorders and 33rpm LPs (one scratch and it's ****ed),
and AM radio and white bread that made a ball in your mouth and made you
puke it out, and margarine was was like spreading a mixture of lard and
engine oil on your ****ing white Mother's Pride bread, and Camp 'Coffee'
made from bloody acorns or something, and tinned condensed milk, and
tyres that didn't last 5,000 miles, and vans that stopped if it rained,
with no screenwashers or power steering or seat belts or effective
heater, and a dynamo that produced 22A max so in winter you had to
connect a battery charger overnight and...

Bill

Have you been on the Ribena
Never touch the stuff
Ice on the inside of the bedroom window, biking three miles to school
through snowdrifts six feet high then getting thrashed for having wet
clothes, going to the doctors and having to sit in a waiting room on a
hard bench feeling giddy because of the fag smoke, then being told your
rickets were growing pains

If you want a soundtrack to this thread, try 'Capstick comes home' by Tony
Capstick...

Bill - 22A is 250w or so, if no decent heater what was pulling enough out of
that to leave you with an uncharged battery?

James - who, on the last day of his 30s, has never had to worry about such
things...!

poor 1960's cars (most of them) had dynamos rather than alternators and quite often could not hack it in the winter.

such cars also lacked rear screen heaters, seat belts, power steering, servo [disk] brakes, independent suspension... and radios were optional...

Little wonder that despite a quarter of the cars now on the roads, casualties were three or four times higher.
Old March 23rd 18, 01:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 22/03/2018 20:45, James Heaton wrote:

Bill - 22A is 250w or so, if no decent heater what was pulling enough
out of that to leave you with an uncharged battery?

Turning the cold damp engine over in the morning, then a four mile
journey to work with lights, wipers, blower, and valved radio on. Then
the same on the way back.

This when I had a proper job...

Old March 23rd 18, 07:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
[...]

Not only those items above which in many cases didn't really come into
being until the mid/late 70's or later, but you also overlooked radial
ply tyres and - most of all and particularly in the original Mini -
the heater was an optional extra!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old March 23rd 18, 08:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 21:26:44 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

A load of old tosh, like intelligence tests that really only showed up
whether you got bored faster or slower.

I used to do much better at "intelligence" tests than any other kind
of test, which I always put down to the fact that they were nearly
always of the multiple choice kind, rather than the usual ones that
required you to write something original, the worst requirement of all
being to write an essay. Having been taught to write with the wrong
hand, I was never keen on it, and wordprocessors with keyboards hadn't
been invented yet. I'm sure intelligence tests must measure something
or other but I've never been totally convinced that the results are as
meaningful as they're often held up to be. My teachers probably
wondered why such an intelligent person wrote such unreadable rubbish,
whenever he could be persuaded to write much at all. I think they had
me down as "intelligent but lazy".

Old March 23rd 18, 09:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
One thing I never could understand though was why HP decided to make an
all in one computer with the motherboard in the monitor then mount the cd
drive vertically so it was very hard to get it to stay in as the drawer
closed and it normally fell on the floor when it was ejected and rolled
across the floor.

Vertically-mounted CD drives are about as useful as chocolate teapots. I've
seen some drives with little lugs around the perimeter of the disc recess in
the loading tray. You twist these after putting a disc in so it remains in
place as the tray retracts. If the drive is going to be vertical , then the
only sensible solution is to have a narrow slit and "suck" the disc in - as
you get on CD players in cars, even when the drive is horizontal.

Old March 23rd 18, 09:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Brian Gaff wrote:
Are you sure you folk are not mixing up condensed milk with evaporated
milk?
One is a power the other a liquid.

Surely *both* are liquid and come in tins, condensed milk in tins
being more of a cream and evaporated milk being more liquid.

Dried milk is, of course, evaporated but isn't generally called that.

--
Chris Green
·
Old March 23rd 18, 09:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Actually I liked school milk. None of that stupidity at our school it was
delivered early and taken to the rooms on a trolley. Obviously some
schools were just rubbish at organising.

I'm sure my school was rubbish at organising. The crates of bottles were
taken outside during the last lesson before afternoon playtime (the clinking
noise meant "only another five minutes of this lesson") and you then queued
up to be handed a bottle when you wanted to have a good run around and play
tig or football or whatever, but instead were made to queue up for
puke-milk.

School milk tasted completely different to milk that the milkman delivered
in pint bottles - to the extent that I used to wonder if it had extra
vitamins added to aid the children's growth.

Old March 23rd 18, 09:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Yes exactly.
The first school I recall going to wanted us to sleep in the afternoon. of
course nobody did.

Ah yes, My grandma (who used to be an infant school teacher starting in the
1940s) used to talk of trying to persuade a class of boistrous children to
lay their heads on their desks and have the regulation snooze. Some hope :-)
She also remembered having to administer treacle to each child by dipping a
spoon in a huge jar, sticking it in the child's mouth for them to lick it
off, and then putting the same spoon back into the jar for the next kid -
the opportunities for diseases to be passed from one child to the next must
have been horrendous.

Old March 23rd 18, 09:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Minis and 1100s had the ignition key in the centre where
your knee would hit it in a crash (no seat belts of course).

I worked in a hospital path lab in the 70's and A&E staff
knew what make of car the victim was driving, or a passenger
because the key was frequently embedded in the remains of their
knee joint.

Ouch!

I remember my mum's first car, a 1959 Morris Minor. It had no seatbelts (my
dad was told that the B pillars were too weak to mount them, when he
enquired) and polished leather seats - and a metal dashboard. Also, being a
2-door car, the front seats tipped up to get in the back and there was no
catch to lock them to the floor; the passenger one also pivoted between the
backrest and the base, as well as between seat and floor.

One day I was sitting in the front passenger seat and my little sister was
sitting behind me. My mum suddenly had do an emergency stop when a pillock
pulled out of a side road. My sister shot forward and pushed the back of the
seat, pushing me forward. I bashed my forehead on the dashboard and had a
dent with "Morris" imprinted on my forehead. For a day or so, I was a bit of
a novelty at school, walking around with "Morris" (in reverse) on my
forehead.

Old March 23rd 18, 09:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I think our 1800, had undersea and rust was not a problem.

Brian, your screenwriter has written undersea rather than underseal, so I'm
surprised rust wasn't a problem. Not so much a Landcrab as a Seacrab :-)