from another group

Old March 24th 18, 10:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Default from another group

On 24/03/2018 10:27, Andrew wrote:
On 23/03/2018 18:26, Mr. Marmite wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2018 10:16:11 -0000, "NY" wrote:

[snip]

She also remembered having to administer treacle to each child by
dipping a
spoon in a huge jar, sticking it in the child's mouth for them to
lick it
off, and then putting the same spoon back into the jar for the next
kid -
the opportunities for diseases to be passed from one child to the
next must
have been horrendous.

Yes, I can remember exactly the same procedure, but I'm sure it was malt
extract that was administered rather than treacle. Equally delicious,
though...

Still available today in block form from your local
agricultural dealers, though intended for livestock.

That's silage.

--
Max Demian
Old March 24th 18, 12:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24/03/2018 10:26, Andrew wrote:
On 23/03/2018 21:24, Bill Wright wrote:
On 23/03/2018 20:48, James Heaton wrote:

Gotcha - it just couldn't work fast enough to put back what cold
starts took out unless it was a long run.

Cheers James

It was a perpetual problem in winter. Many people routinely connected
a trickle charger every night.

Bill

And put one of those flying saucer paraffin heaters under
the sump.

Yes! Memories! otherwise the oil was like tar and the starter motor
couldn't cope.

Old March 24th 18, 12:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob[_12_]

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 11:47:13 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

On 24/03/2018 10:27, Andrew wrote:
On 23/03/2018 18:26, Mr. Marmite wrote:

Yes, I can remember exactly the same procedure, but I'm sure it was
malt extract that was administered rather than treacle. Equally
delicious, though...

Still available today in block form from your local agricultural
dealers, though intended for livestock.

That's silage.

You sure about that....?

Silage comes from (usually) grass not from grain.
Old March 24th 18, 02:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 24/03/2018 13:37, Bob wrote:
On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 11:47:13 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

On 24/03/2018 10:27, Andrew wrote:
On 23/03/2018 18:26, Mr. Marmite wrote:

Yes, I can remember exactly the same procedure, but I'm sure it was
malt extract that was administered rather than treacle. Equally
delicious, though...

Still available today in block form from your local agricultural
dealers, though intended for livestock.

That's silage.

You sure about that....?

Silage comes from (usually) grass not from grain.

He's wrong. Salt blocks, or Lickable blocks of molasses
and minerals are widely used to stop cattle and other animals
grazing on poor ground to stay healthy. I think horsey people
buy them too.

magnesium staggers is a common problem for dairy cows so they
benefit from supplements. Once upon a time farmers used to
get their bovines to swallow something solid that stayed in
one of the stomachs and gradually leached out minerals.

Old March 24th 18, 04:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob[_12_]

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 15:37:47 +0000, Andrew wrote:

On 24/03/2018 13:37, Bob wrote:
On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 11:47:13 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

On 24/03/2018 10:27, Andrew wrote:
On 23/03/2018 18:26, Mr. Marmite wrote:

Yes, I can remember exactly the same procedure, but I'm sure it was
malt extract that was administered rather than treacle. Equally
delicious, though...

Still available today in block form from your local agricultural
dealers, though intended for livestock.

That's silage.

You sure about that....?

Silage comes from (usually) grass not from grain.

He's wrong. Salt blocks, or Lickable blocks of molasses and minerals are
widely used to stop cattle and other animals grazing on poor ground to
stay healthy. I think horsey people buy them too.

Yes *I* know that - but was being charitable to him Yes, horsey folks do
buy licks also.

Old March 24th 18, 06:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 24/03/2018 13:05, Bill Wright wrote:
On 24/03/2018 10:26, Andrew wrote:
On 23/03/2018 21:24, Bill Wright wrote:
On 23/03/2018 20:48, James Heaton wrote:

Gotcha - it just couldn't work fast enough to put back what cold
starts took out unless it was a long run.

Cheers James

It was a perpetual problem in winter. Many people routinely connected
a trickle charger every night.

Bill

And put one of those flying saucer paraffin heaters under
the sump.

Yes! Memories! otherwise the oil was like tar and the starter motor
couldn't cope.

Does your memory go back that far? I never had such problems with my
1972 Escort - /and/ it had a stick-on rear window heater.

--
Max Demian
Old March 24th 18, 07:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 24/03/2018 19:59, Max Demian wrote:

Does your memory go back that far? I never had such problems with my
1972 Escort - /and/ it had a stick-on rear window heater.

Yes but I suppose you used to change the oil now and then.

Old March 24th 18, 09:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 24/03/2018 20:20, Bill Wright wrote:
On 24/03/2018 19:59, Max Demian wrote:

Does your memory go back that far? I never had such problems with my
1972 Escort - /and/ it had a stick-on rear window heater.

Yes but I suppose you used to change the oil now and then.

Only every 6000 miles (by the garage). And I hardly had to top it up
between oil changes.

--
Max Demian
Old March 29th 18, 08:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 22/03/2018 14:36, Chris Green wrote:
So minis from 1964 were hydrolastic.

My 1976 mini was rubber.

Andy
Old March 29th 18, 08:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 23/03/2018 10:06, NY wrote:

Vertically-mounted CD drives are about as useful as chocolate teapots.
I've seen some drives with little lugs around the perimeter of the disc
recess in the loading tray. You twist these after putting a disc in so
it remains in place as the tray retracts. If the drive is going to be
vertical , then the only sensible solution is to have a narrow slit and
"suck" the disc in - as you get on CD players in cars, even when the
drive is horizontal.

It's a bit late to tell you now, but the trick was to rotate the ones at
the bottom edge of the tray only. The other two are for when it's on the
other side.

Andy