Blackhill return confusion

Old March 21st 18, 09:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

Default Blackhill return confusion

I would ask a similar question to Max about Blackhill.

At the moment COM7 and COM8 are on channels 32 and 35. Will these be
moving up to the mid fifties, and if so why if they are clearing the
top part of the band?

Will the frequencies be the same as Crystal Palace to create a single
frequency network (with other transmitters involved also of course!)?

What are my prospects of getting these channels with a Group B aerial
and genererally excellent reception conditions?

Scott
Old March 21st 18, 09:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 21/03/2018 10:04, Scott wrote:
I would ask a similar question to Max about Blackhill.

At the moment COM7 and COM8 are on channels 32 and 35. Will these be
moving up to the mid fifties, and if so why if they are clearing the
top part of the band?

Yes, Black Hill COM 7 and 8 will move to 55/56 in September this year.

Although everything above Ch49 is going, there's a guard band at 55/56
that is still allowed for broadcasting until 2022.

Will the frequencies be the same as Crystal Palace to create a single
frequency network (with other transmitters involved also of course!)?

Yes

What are my prospects of getting these channels with a Group B aerial
and genererally excellent reception conditions?

You might just get away with Group B, (which ends at Ch53) Black Hill
is in an identical position to Sutton Coldfield, where COM 7/8 moved
two weeks ago.

--
Mark
Old March 21st 18, 09:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

Default Blackhill retune confusion

On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 10:04:51 +0000, Scott
wrote:

I would ask a similar question to Max about Blackhill.

At the moment COM7 and COM8 are on channels 32 and 35. Will these be
moving up to the mid fifties, and if so why if they are clearing the
top part of the band?

Will the frequencies be the same as Crystal Palace to create a single
frequency network (with other transmitters involved also of course!)?

What are my prospects of getting these channels with a Group B aerial
and genererally excellent reception conditions?

Scott

Should read retune.
Old March 21st 18, 09:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

wrote:

I would ask a similar question to Max about Blackhill.

At the moment COM7 and COM8 are on channels 32 and 35. Will these be
moving up to the mid fifties, and if so why if they are clearing the
top part of the band?

Will the frequencies be the same as Crystal Palace to create a single
frequency network (with other transmitters involved also of course!)?

What are my prospects of getting these channels with a Group B aerial
and genererally excellent reception conditions?

Scott

Should read 'retune' of course.
Old March 21st 18, 09:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 21/03/2018 10:40, Bob Latham wrote:
In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:

Yes, Black Hill COM 7 and 8 will move to 55/56 in September this year.

Is there a list of the transmitters and dates for 55/56 anywhere Mark?

I have a spreadsheet, but it's not public domain I'm afraid.

However, the raw data for all sites right up until 2020 seems to be in
Digital UK's postcode checker, so it can be obtained using that on a
site by site basis, plugging in billions of postcodes.

--
Mark
Old March 21st 18, 09:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 10:27:35 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:
SHOULD READ 'RETUNE'

On 21/03/2018 10:04, Scott wrote:
I would ask a similar question to Max about Blackhill.

At the moment COM7 and COM8 are on channels 32 and 35. Will these be
moving up to the mid fifties, and if so why if they are clearing the
top part of the band?

Yes, Black Hill COM 7 and 8 will move to 55/56 in September this year.

Why can they stay where they are? Presumably because it's a SFN, I
suppose?

Although everything above Ch49 is going, there's a guard band at 55/56
that is still allowed for broadcasting until 2022.

Does this mean the likes of BBC Four and BBC News HD will be lost in
2022 or will there be a plan to assimilate them into the main
multiplex? Or indeed will there be a move from DTB-T1 to DVB-T2?

Will the frequencies be the same as Crystal Palace to create a single
frequency network (with other transmitters involved also of course!)?

Yes

What are my prospects of getting these channels with a Group B aerial
and genererally excellent reception conditions?

You might just get away with Group B, (which ends at Ch53) Black Hill
is in an identical position to Sutton Coldfield, where COM 7/8 moved
two weeks ago.

If not, will there be a new wideband aerial optimised for the TV
channels that remain?
Old March 21st 18, 09:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Mark Carver wrote:

Yes, Black Hill COM 7 and 8 will move to 55/56 in September this year.

Is there a list of the transmitters and dates for 55/56 anywhere Mark?

I have a spreadsheet, but it's not public domain I'm afraid.

However, the raw data for all sites right up until 2020 seems to be in
Digital UK's postcode checker, so it can be obtained using that on a site
by site basis, plugging in billions of postcodes.

Is the migration of COM7/8 being coordinated with 700 MHz alterations of
frequency, or is it a completely separate exercise?

The map at the bottom of
https://www.a516digital.com/2018/03/...7th-march.html
shows which quarter of which year the various regions are going through
their 700 MHz clearance, and *maybe* the COM7/8 move is taking place at the
same time.

Old March 21st 18, 09:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Scott" wrote in message
Although everything above Ch49 is going, there's a guard band at 55/56
that is still allowed for broadcasting until 2022.

Does this mean the likes of BBC Four and BBC News HD will be lost in
2022 or will there be a plan to assimilate them into the main
multiplex? Or indeed will there be a move from DTB-T1 to DVB-T2?

This is what I want to know. If COM7 and 8 are eventually going to go,
that's fine, but are the channels contained in them being moved into muxes
that will survive the 2022 change? I've not seen this very obvious question
answered anywhere.

Old March 21st 18, 10:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 21/03/2018 10:48, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 10:27:35 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:
SHOULD READ 'RETUNE'

On 21/03/2018 10:04, Scott wrote:
I would ask a similar question to Max about Blackhill.

At the moment COM7 and COM8 are on channels 32 and 35. Will these be
moving up to the mid fifties, and if so why if they are clearing the
top part of the band?

Yes, Black Hill COM 7 and 8 will move to 55/56 in September this year.

Why can't they stay where they are? Presumably because it's a SFN, I
suppose?

Nationally COM 7 and 8 are in the 500 MHz band (Ch 31-37). Those
allocations are where many (several hundred) other transmitters
are having/have just moved one of more of the main six muxes.

That's why COM 7/8 have to move out of the way

--
Mark
Old March 21st 18, 10:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

*** Mark Carver wrote:

Yes, Black Hill COM 7 and 8 will move to 55/56 in September this year.

Is there a list of the transmitters and dates for 55/56 anywhere Mark?

I have a spreadsheet, but it's not public domain I'm afraid.

However, the raw data for all sites right up until 2020 seems to be in
Digital UK's postcode checker, so it can be obtained using that on a
site by site basis, plugging in billions of postcodes.

Is the migration of COM7/8 being coordinated with 700 MHz alterations of
frequency, or is it a completely separate exercise?

It's all part of the 700 meg exercise, but sites don't necessarily move
COM 7 and 8 together, and/or at the same time as the other muxes. For
instance Waltham moved COM 8 to 56 last month, but COM 7 won't move
for a couple of years yet. See my reply to Scott too.

--
Mark