Crystal Palace retune confusion

Old March 22nd 18, 07:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

Default Crystal Palace retune confusion

On 22/03/2018 08:50, Jeff Layman wrote:

The Manhattan also can't see COM8. I tried retuning the TV again, but it
still can't see COM8. But the PVR is still bringing it in fine -
CBeebies HD on 205 had a perfect picture and sound.

How is it possible to receive a Ch56 signal on a Group A loft aerial?

Anything is possible, but out of band with an aerial you're into chaos
theory and mismatch effects. (It's bad enough in band at times !)

--
Mark
Old March 22nd 18, 09:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 08:50:52 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 21/03/18 22:33, Jeff Layman wrote:

But this is where it gets weird. That was with my Panasonic 4K TV (2
years old). When I retuned my older Panasonic PVR (DMR-HWT130), I got
BBC4 HD on Ch 56! Signal strength is 6 and Quality 5. Like COM7, the
picture appears ok. So it seems the PVR tuner is more sensitive than the
TV tuner, as both are fed off the same amp. I've got a Manhattan Plaza
HD T2 set-top box, but won't be able to get round to retuning that until
tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if COM8 comes through OK on that.

The Manhattan also can't see COM8. I tried retuning the TV again, but it
still can't see COM8. But the PVR is still bringing it in fine -
CBeebies HD on 205 had a perfect picture and sound.

How is it possible to receive a Ch56 signal on a Group A loft aerial?

A relation of mine lost her roof mounted aerial a couple of months
ago. The TV works fine on 50 ft of cable left when the aeriel was cut
off.

The TV tuned OK from Winter Hill, and even picks up Welsh channels.
Cured by getting her postcode entered into the set. The TV is a 7 yr
old panny.

The only confusion on the retune was some channels missing, that
turned out to be due to TV only having T1 tuner.

She lives in Preston

--
brightside S9
Old March 22nd 18, 10:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

Has she got the old brown co-ax as downlead by any chance? The screen
on that was a joke and the core would work quite well as an aerial.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old March 22nd 18, 03:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 11:54:53 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I'll be visiting shortly. As it works with the aeriel missing I'll
be putting in a wideband, I have spare, in the loft. I'll let you
know what type of cable it is.

--
brightside S9
Old March 23rd 18, 08:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

Found out he's in Chichester, mentioned aerials but he's gone off the
radar!
Old March 23rd 18, 08:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 23/03/2018 09:42, Dickie mint wrote:
On 22/03/2018 07:32, Mark Carver wrote:

Found out he's in Chichester, mentioned aerials but he's gone off the
radar!

Ha. Depends which side of the cathedral he is ! My grandfather
wanted the building knocked down, it put a nasty ghost on his Rowridge
signals ! Particularly Band I

--
Mark
Old March 23rd 18, 12:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 23/03/18 09:52, Mark Carver wrote:
On 23/03/2018 09:42, Dickie mint wrote:
On 22/03/2018 07:32, Mark Carver wrote:

Found out he's in Chichester, mentioned aerials but he's gone off the
radar!

Ha. Depends which side of the cathedral he is ! My grandfather
wanted the building knocked down, it put a nasty ghost on his Rowridge
signals ! Particularly Band I

He should have asked them to put a repeater on top of the steeple!

--

Jeff
Old March 23rd 18, 12:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 23/03/2018 13:36, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 23/03/18 09:52, Mark Carver wrote:
On 23/03/2018 09:42, Dickie mint wrote:
On 22/03/2018 07:32, Mark Carver wrote:

Found out he's in Chichester, mentioned aerials but he's gone off the
radar!

Ha. Depends which side of the cathedral he is !* My grandfather
wanted the building knocked down, it put a nasty ghost on his Rowridge
signals ! Particularly Band I

He should have asked them to put a repeater on top of the steeple!

Oddly today is the 157th anniversary of the collapse of that steeple !

https://www.chichestercathedral.org.uk/whats-on/the-collapse-of-chichester-cathedrals-spire.shtml

The Radio Rentals (or was it DER ?) shop in East Street, and in a spot
totally screened from Rowridge by the cathedral, had an impressive quad
set of J-Beam yagis looking at Midhurst

--
Mark
Old March 24th 18, 11:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

On 21/03/2018 17:48, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave W wrote:
On 21/03/2018 09:22, Brian Gaff wrote:
Who the heck knows. I assume if we do not have boxes that can handle hd,
then no retuning is needed. That is a heck of a move up in frequency for
anyone using less than broad band aerials. i can see tears in some peoples
future tonight.
Brian

I live in Epsom, and can confirm that UHF channel 33 has gone to 55,
taking BBC News HD, Al Jazera HD, 4seven HD and Chan 4+1 HD with it.

UHF channel 35 has moved to 56, taking BBC4 HD, PBS America and others.

UHF channel 35 now has London Live instead of UHF channel 29 which has
also gone.

I have a wideband loft aerial, but it can't pick up UHF channels 55 &
56. Maybe they are at lower power. This means I can no longer receive
BBC News HD, Al Jazera HD, BBC4 HD or PBS America except via Freesat.

It might be due to lower power or the fact that you are using a loft
aerial. Roofing attenuates signals more at higher frequencies.

I got the high channels using only a log-periodic set-top aerial in a
downstairs room! I looked at the loft aerial again and it looks like
crap, not wideband at all, as all the director elements are the same
length and equally spaced. I've ordered a proper wide-band aerial to
replace it. I will also use satellite coax instead of the existing
dubious brown stuff.
--
Dave W