Crystal Palace retune confusion

Old March 21st 18, 08:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

Default Crystal Palace retune confusion

On 21/03/2018 19:43, Mark Carver wrote:
On 21/03/2018 19:18, Jeff Layman wrote:

Similar for Rowridge, which is received here with an 18-element Group
A aerial in the loft.

I just retuned, and everything from Ch 21 to 37 is coming in at
Strength 9/10 (9 on Ch37) and Quality 10, except for Ch 31 (Com78
National), where Strength is 8/9 and Quality 4/6. But although the
quality is down, AFAICT the picture quality seems unchanged from
yesterday.

COM 8 Rowridge moved today from UHF 37 to 56, how is that faring ?

The new COM 7/8 antenna at Rowridge is only half way up the mast.
Currently COM 7 is still on Ch 31 from the antenna at the top

Ah! On another forum (sorry Mark only for over 50s!!) a poster can no
longer get BBC4HD (COM 8). Don't know where on the IoW he lives, but
this could be his problem! Though he says he's lost BBC4HD, so might be
the change to a SFN his box can't cope with.

Richard
Old March 21st 18, 09:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 21/03/18 19:43, Mark Carver wrote:
On 21/03/2018 19:18, Jeff Layman wrote:

Similar for Rowridge, which is received here with an 18-element Group A
aerial in the loft.

I just retuned, and everything from Ch 21 to 37 is coming in at Strength
9/10 (9 on Ch37) and Quality 10, except for Ch 31 (Com78 National),
where Strength is 8/9 and Quality 4/6. But although the quality is down,
AFAICT the picture quality seems unchanged from yesterday.

COM 8 Rowridge moved today from UHF 37 to 56, how is that faring ?

"Invalid channel" for BBC4 HD, etc. When I retuned I was watching the
updating, and Ch 56 was passed without anything appearing in the digital
channels list.

But this is where it gets weird. That was with my Panasonic 4K TV (2
years old). When I retuned my older Panasonic PVR (DMR-HWT130), I got
BBC4 HD on Ch 56! Signal strength is 6 and Quality 5. Like COM7, the
picture appears ok. So it seems the PVR tuner is more sensitive than the
TV tuner, as both are fed off the same amp. I've got a Manhattan Plaza
HD T2 set-top box, but won't be able to get round to retuning that until
tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if COM8 comes through OK on that.

The new COM 7/8 antenna at Rowridge is only half way up the mast.
Currently COM 7 is still on Ch 31 from the antenna at the top

I doubt I will bother with a new aerial. I've got a decent enough
broadband speed to download BBC4 HD if I need to (does anyone really
need CBeebies HD?). Even so, most of the time I guess I could watch it
through the Panny PVR as long as that wasn't recording two other channels.

--

Jeff
Old March 21st 18, 09:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Youlden[_6_]

On 21/03/2018 19:40, Mark Carver wrote:
On 21/03/2018 19:10, Andrew wrote:
On 21/03/2018 17:18, Max Demian wrote:

Highly relevant. Thank you. It's just rather unfortunate that BBC4 HD
is carried on what, to many, if not most people, will be an
inaccessible MUX. I wonder what the chance is that BBC4 will be moved
to a more accessible MUX? (The old BBC3 bandwidth should be available
- I don't think it's used for much at the moment.)

I can't understand why they cannot share with CBBC HD. The kiddies
programs only show during the day up to about 7PM ish and then it
could revert to BBC4 HD for the people who pay the license fee.

CBBC now carries on until 9pm, so the spare bandwidth is only available
21:00hrs to 05:00hrs

Wouldn't work in Scotland, either, because BBC has just proposed using
the CBBC HD channel from 7pm for the new Scottish channel.

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/03/bbc-scotland-channel-plans-to-go-hd.html

--

Chris
Old March 21st 18, 09:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 21/03/18 19:40, Mark Carver wrote:
On 21/03/2018 19:10, Andrew wrote:
On 21/03/2018 17:18, Max Demian wrote:

Highly relevant. Thank you. It's just rather unfortunate that BBC4 HD
is carried on what, to many, if not most people, will be an
inaccessible MUX. I wonder what the chance is that BBC4 will be moved
to a more accessible MUX? (The old BBC3 bandwidth should be available
- I don't think it's used for much at the moment.)

I can't understand why they cannot share with CBBC HD. The kiddies
programs only show during the day up to about 7PM ish and then it
could revert to BBC4 HD for the people who pay the license fee.

CBBC now carries on until 9pm, so the spare bandwidth is only available
21:00hrs to 05:00hrs

Isn't it with CBeebies HD that BB4 HD shares, not CBBC? CBeebies still
broadcasts only until 1900.

--

Jeff
Old March 22nd 18, 12:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 21/03/2018 19:40, Mark Carver wrote:

CBBC now carries on until 9pm, so the spare bandwidth is only available
21:00hrs to 05:00hrs

Bed at seven when I was a nipper.

Old March 22nd 18, 12:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Don't take the ****!

Old March 22nd 18, 06:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 21/03/2018 21:19, Dickie mint wrote:

Ah!* On another forum (sorry Mark only for over 50s!!)

I'm 54 !

a poster can no
longer get BBC4HD (COM 8).* Don't know where on the IoW he lives, but
this could be his problem!* Though he says he's lost BBC4HD, so might be
the change to a SFN his box can't cope with.

It's more likely to be he is using a Group A aerial (though Rowridge in
the pre DSO early 2000s did have DTT services in the 50s and 60s) so I
don't know whether he might have a wideband ?

--
Mark
Old March 22nd 18, 06:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

To the cognecenti using auto tune I would think that two different
regional codes will be a problem - I can hear the moaning on You and
Yours or Pointless Views even now (and that's in the future!) but if
your TV has manual tuning and you use it surely it is not a problem?

What I find annoying is the converse that some tuning systems use. We
bought a Philips 24" TV for the kitchen - good TV, full HD, superb
picture - but it only has auto tuning. I live in a location where an
aerial pointed at Emley has Bilsdale almost in line with the back of
it. Strangely Belmont is sideways on but if I auto tune this Philips
TV it finds BBC Yorks and Lincs (i.e. Belmont) as well as NE from
Bilsdale and Yorkshire from Emley.

On a couple of occasions we have found ourselves watching Lovely Peter
Levy (i.e. Yorks and Lincs) on the local BBC news - which is strange
given I had set it up for Emley. Digging in the menus I find an option
for automatic updates was turned on so presume this must be the cause.
So the software writers have decided to give you the region selection
option when doing a full tune, but if there is an update they ignore
that selection. Beggers belief!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old March 22nd 18, 07:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 21/03/2018 22:37, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 21/03/18 19:40, Mark Carver wrote:
On 21/03/2018 19:10, Andrew wrote:
On 21/03/2018 17:18, Max Demian wrote:

Highly relevant. Thank you. It's just rather unfortunate that BBC4 HD
is carried on what, to many, if not most people, will be an
inaccessible MUX. I wonder what the chance is that BBC4 will be moved
to a more accessible MUX? (The old BBC3 bandwidth should be available
- I don't think it's used for much at the moment.)

I can't understand why they cannot share with CBBC HD. The kiddies
programs only show during the day up to about 7PM ish and then it
could revert to BBC4 HD for the people who pay the license fee.

CBBC now carries on until 9pm, so the spare bandwidth is only available
21:00hrs to 05:00hrs

Isn't it with CBeebies HD that BB4 HD shares, not CBBC? CBeebies still
broadcasts only until 1900.

Yes, but CBBC is on PSB 3, the idea suggested was to use its 'downtime'
that used to be used for BBC 3 HD

--
Mark
Old March 22nd 18, 07:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 21/03/18 22:33, Jeff Layman wrote:

But this is where it gets weird. That was with my Panasonic 4K TV (2
years old). When I retuned my older Panasonic PVR (DMR-HWT130), I got
BBC4 HD on Ch 56! Signal strength is 6 and Quality 5. Like COM7, the
picture appears ok. So it seems the PVR tuner is more sensitive than the
TV tuner, as both are fed off the same amp. I've got a Manhattan Plaza
HD T2 set-top box, but won't be able to get round to retuning that until
tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if COM8 comes through OK on that.

The Manhattan also can't see COM8. I tried retuning the TV again, but it
still can't see COM8. But the PVR is still bringing it in fine -
CBeebies HD on 205 had a perfect picture and sound.

How is it possible to receive a Ch56 signal on a Group A loft aerial?

--

Jeff