Crystal Palace retune confusion

Old March 21st 18, 03:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Crystal Palace retune confusion

In the old Analogue days A two stacked parabeam system in Chessington got
wonderful reception from hannington.

"Andrew" wrote in message
news
On 21/03/2018 09:22, Brian Gaff wrote:
Who the heck knows. I assume if we do not have boxes that can handle hd,
then no retuning is needed. That is a heck of a move up in frequency for
anyone using less than broad band aerials. i can see tears in some
peoples
future tonight.
Brian

Is this a first world problem ?.

Those of us stuck with Midhurst don't have a COM7 or 8
(if there is I can't find it), and Rowridge and
Hannington are over-the-hill and more than50 miles
away.

I retuned my HD FOX T2 and Samsumg smart tv and all
that has changed is, well nothing of note really. Still
no BBC4 HD.

The channels on C29 are struggling where I live, but
an external aerial will fix that, one day.

Old March 21st 18, 03:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

That was exactly what I thought when I read it too, I find it hard that in
this day they do not send out a code for which transmitter it is and you can
only get channels from that cluster.
Not rocket science I'd have thunk?

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 21/03/2018 09:44, Mark Carver wrote:

No, CP has moved COM 7 and 8 to 55/56 overnight, sounds as if your aerial
is a Group A, and it's picking up Hannington off the back ?

Check at 800+, it's possible your receiver has placed the COM 7 and 8
channels from Hannington at their primary EPG positions (because it found
them first) and the CP versions are at 800+ ?

--
Mark

Old March 21st 18, 03:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 21/03/2018 16:31, Brian Gaff wrote:
That was exactly what I thought when I read it too, I find it hard that in
this day they do not send out a code for which transmitter it is and you can
only get channels from that cluster.

You can, and it's done, but the problem with COM 7 and 8 now is because
they are encoded as national SFNs, they have, and have to have, a single
national 'regional' ID code.

This seems to be a problem for some receivers (see the DS post I quoted)

--
Mark
Old March 21st 18, 04:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

On 21/03/2018 09:22, Brian Gaff wrote:
Who the heck knows. I assume if we do not have boxes that can handle hd,
then no retuning is needed. That is a heck of a move up in frequency for
anyone using less than broad band aerials. i can see tears in some peoples
future tonight.
Brian

I live in Epsom, and can confirm that UHF channel 33 has gone to 55,
taking BBC News HD, Al Jazera HD, 4seven HD and Chan 4+1 HD with it.

UHF channel 35 has moved to 56, taking BBC4 HD, PBS America and others.

UHF channel 35 now has London Live instead of UHF channel 29 which has
also gone.

I have a wideband loft aerial, but it can't pick up UHF channels 55 &
56. Maybe they are at lower power. This means I can no longer receive
BBC News HD, Al Jazera HD, BBC4 HD or PBS America except via Freesat.

See
https://www.a516digital.com/2018/03/...1st-march.html
--
Dave W
Old March 21st 18, 04:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 21/03/2018 15:31, Mark Carver wrote:
On 21/03/2018 13:16, Max Demian wrote:
On 21/03/2018 09:53, Mark Carver wrote:
On 21/03/2018 09:44, Mark Carver wrote:

No, CP has moved COM 7 and 8 to 55/56 overnight, sounds as if your
aerial is a Group A, and it's picking up Hannington off the back ?

Check at 800+, it's possible your receiver has placed the COM 7 and 8
channels from Hannington at their primary EPG positions (because it
found them first) and the CP versions are at 800+ ?

I selected London region after tuning for it to resort the channels.

This post from Digital Spy might be relevant ?

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/comment/89628649#Comment_89628649

Highly relevant. Thank you. It's just rather unfortunate that BBC4 HD is
carried on what, to many, if not most people, will be an inaccessible
MUX. I wonder what the chance is that BBC4 will be moved to a more
accessible MUX? (The old BBC3 bandwidth should be available - I don't
think it's used for much at the moment.)

--
Max Demian
Old March 21st 18, 04:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
On 21/03/2018 09:22, Brian Gaff wrote:
Who the heck knows. I assume if we do not have boxes that can handle hd,
then no retuning is needed. That is a heck of a move up in frequency for
anyone using less than broad band aerials. i can see tears in some peoples
future tonight.
Brian

I live in Epsom, and can confirm that UHF channel 33 has gone to 55,
taking BBC News HD, Al Jazera HD, 4seven HD and Chan 4+1 HD with it.

UHF channel 35 has moved to 56, taking BBC4 HD, PBS America and others.

UHF channel 35 now has London Live instead of UHF channel 29 which has
also gone.

I have a wideband loft aerial, but it can't pick up UHF channels 55 &
56. Maybe they are at lower power. This means I can no longer receive
BBC News HD, Al Jazera HD, BBC4 HD or PBS America except via Freesat.

It might be due to lower power or the fact that you are using a loft
aerial. Roofing attenuates signals more at higher frequencies.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old March 21st 18, 06:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 21/03/2018 17:18, Max Demian wrote:
[...]

I can't understand why they cannot share with CBBC HD. The kiddies
programs only show during the day up to about 7PM ish and then it
could revert to BBC4 HD for the people who pay the license fee.
Old March 21st 18, 06:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 21/03/18 09:15, Max Demian wrote:
See:
https://www.a516digital.com/2018/03/...1st-march.html

This morning, I couldn't receive COM7 or COM8 at all, so I retuned.

According to the web page, COM7 (e.g. Channel 4+1 HD) is changing from
UHF 33 to 55. Actually it's now 32.

Also, COM8 (e.g. CBeebies HD) is changing from UHF 35 to 56. Actually
it's now 34.

Both are strength 38%, quality 100% (on My Humax Fox) - the others are
75%/100%.

Have they changed their plans, or will I have to retune again later today?

Similar for Rowridge, which is received here with an 18-element Group A
aerial in the loft.

I just retuned, and everything from Ch 21 to 37 is coming in at Strength
9/10 (9 on Ch37) and Quality 10, except for Ch 31 (Com78 National),
where Strength is 8/9 and Quality 4/6. But although the quality is down,
AFAICT the picture quality seems unchanged from yesterday.

--

Jeff
Old March 21st 18, 06:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 21/03/2018 19:10, Andrew wrote:
On 21/03/2018 17:18, Max Demian wrote:

Highly relevant. Thank you. It's just rather unfortunate that BBC4 HD
is carried on what, to many, if not most people, will be an
inaccessible MUX. I wonder what the chance is that BBC4 will be moved
to a more accessible MUX? (The old BBC3 bandwidth should be available
- I don't think it's used for much at the moment.)

I can't understand why they cannot share with CBBC HD. The kiddies
programs only show during the day up to about 7PM ish and then it
could revert to BBC4 HD for the people who pay the license fee.

CBBC now carries on until 9pm, so the spare bandwidth is only available
21:00hrs to 05:00hrs

--
Mark
Old March 21st 18, 06:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 21/03/2018 19:18, Jeff Layman wrote:

Similar for Rowridge, which is received here with an 18-element Group A
aerial in the loft.

I just retuned, and everything from Ch 21 to 37 is coming in at Strength
9/10 (9 on Ch37) and Quality 10, except for Ch 31 (Com78 National),
where Strength is 8/9 and Quality 4/6. But although the quality is down,
AFAICT the picture quality seems unchanged from yesterday.

COM 8 Rowridge moved today from UHF 37 to 56, how is that faring ?

The new COM 7/8 antenna at Rowridge is only half way up the mast.
Currently COM 7 is still on Ch 31 from the antenna at the top

--
Mark