Weather warnings

Old March 16th 18, 03:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

Default Weather warnings

Why do they use yellow and amber, which seem to me to be very similar?
Should they not choose colours that are totally dissimilar, as with
electrical cables? Anyone with a visual impairment could be confused.
Old March 16th 18, 04:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Scott wrote:
Why do they use yellow and amber, which seem to me to be very similar?
Should they not choose colours that are totally dissimilar, as with
electrical cables? Anyone with a visual impairment could be confused.

I agree, I hadn't even realised until recently that there were two
different levels called yellow and amber. Traffic light middle light
is called both yellow and amber so one would assume they're the same.

Surely red, orange, yellow would be more obvious.

--
Chris Green
·
Old March 16th 18, 04:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 16:39:39 +0000, Scott
wrote:

Why do they use yellow and amber, which seem to me to be very similar?
Should they not choose colours that are totally dissimilar, as with
electrical cables? Anyone with a visual impairment could be confused.

I understand your point. I think they wish to use colours familiar to
people from traffic lights, etc. The colours used re red, amber, yellow
and green, in decreasing level of severity.
The most severe warning is red, the least is yellow and in between them
is amber which is a colour intermediate between yellow and red. Green is
use in UV Index and Pollen Count warnings.

The yellow colour used could be described as "light yellow".

For Pollen Count there is a colour between amber and red that might be
described as "amberish-reddish".

Info got from:
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/guide/weather/symbols

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old March 16th 18, 04:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

I noticed on the Look North Leeds weather today that Owain
whats-his-name said that if you wanted more info look at the Met
Office web site the address of which he showed on screen.

Doesn't say much about the forecasters opinion of Meteo Group does it?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old March 16th 18, 05:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

wrote:

Why do they use yellow and amber, which seem to me to be very similar?
Should they not choose colours that are totally dissimilar, as with
electrical cables? Anyone with a visual impairment could be confused.

I understand your point. I think they wish to use colours familiar to
people from traffic lights, etc. The colours used re red, amber, yellow
and green, in decreasing level of severity.

Traffic lights *don't* have "red, amber, yellow and green", that't the
problem! Treffic lights have red, yellow (or amber, but it's the same
as yellow) and green.

In warning terms, to most people, yellow and amber are the same.

--
Chris Green
·
Old March 16th 18, 05:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 16/03/2018 16:39, Scott wrote:

Why do they use yellow and amber, which seem to me to be very similar?
Should they not choose colours that are totally dissimilar, as with
electrical cables? Anyone with a visual impairment could be confused.

I think the idea of a yellow and green stripy warning is very sound.

What it would indicate, though, is anyone's guess.

Old March 16th 18, 06:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 16/03/2018 16:39, Scott wrote:
Why do they use yellow and amber, which seem to me to be very similar?
Should they not choose colours that are totally dissimilar, as with
electrical cables? Anyone with a visual impairment could be confused.

Why is the yellow splodge over the south-east shaped like a prick and
balls?

Old March 16th 18, 06:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 19:32:26 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 16/03/2018 16:39, Scott wrote:
Why do they use yellow and amber, which seem to me to be very similar?
Should they not choose colours that are totally dissimilar, as with
electrical cables? Anyone with a visual impairment could be confused.

Why is the yellow splodge over the south-east shaped like a prick and
balls?

Bill

The weather is coming from Siberia (in Russia). Perhaps the shape is a
message from President Putin.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old March 16th 18, 07:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
dave

On 16/03/18 16:39, Scott wrote:
Why do they use yellow and amber, which seem to me to be very similar?
Should they not choose colours that are totally dissimilar, as with
electrical cables? Anyone with a visual impairment could be confused.

I was amused to see on BBC News a "yellow snow warning". Surely everyone
knows not to eat yellow snow?
--
Dave
Old March 16th 18, 08:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 16/03/2018 17:00, Chris Green wrote:
I agree, I hadn't even realised until recently that there were two
different levels called yellow and amber. Traffic light middle light
is called both yellow and amber so one would assume they're the same.

Traditionally railways use yellow, and roads amber, for the name of the
intermediate colour,

Surely red, orange, yellow would be more obvious.

And if you happen to be red-green colour blind, like about 10% of men,
they're near as dammit identical. Which is why red is _always_ at the top.

Andy