A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

Weather warnings



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old March 17th 18, 10:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,344
Default Weather warnings

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 11:38:33 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
news:[email protected] co.uk...
And "no entry" signs had "NO ENTRY" across the white strip. Confusing to
foreigners. Similarly with all the other signs that had lettering on them,
before they were replaced by the so-called continental signs.


Depends on how understandable the replacement icons are. I prefer a word,
even if it's in a foreign language, to an icon which I don't recognise.

Many icons and signs are standard: the , and icons on tape recorders,
video recorders, PVRs and MP3 players. I've no problem with those. Likewise
for road signs: there is a finite set and you learn them.

The problem comes with the more esoteric icons to denote washing cycles on
washing machines etc, where the first problem is identifying WTF the icon
portrays, so you can work out what its purpose is. I usually fail at the
"WTF is this icon" stage. Once I've mastered "ah, that icon is *supposed* to
be a ball of wool", then it's trivially easy to say "that means it's the
wool cycle on the washing machine".

In other words, icons should be designed so a) everything that uses the same
icon uses the same drawing of it, and b) every icon is made as recognisable
as possible so you can work out what it is a picture of, as a stepping stone
to being able to work out what the purpose of the icon is.

The best strategy is to use a combination of an icon and a word in a common
language - either the language of the country where the item is being sold
or else a commonly-understood second language such as English.

"Fuel pump", "battery" and "oil can" icons on car dashboards are fine: they
are readily understood as fuel level, ignition/alternator, oil pressure. But
different cars have different colours and conventions for dipped headlights,
front foglights, rear foglights. Some cars have all the front lights facing
one way and all the rear lights the opposite (good) but others have all the
lights on the icons facing the same way, so you have no way of deducing
which light relates to front fog and which to rear.

I remember borrowing my dad's Ford Sierra and after a few miles I was
confronted by a light with an unrecognisable icon which was flashing away at
me, as if you say "this is really really important - do not ignore". I
stopped and looked at the user manual. That's another problem with icons:
you can't list them in alphabetical order in an index. It took me a long
time to find a diagram of the dashboard with each light shown and numbered,
so I could look for "third light from the left" and confirm that the icon in
the book looked vaguely similar (*) to the one on the dashboard. And all it
meant was "low windscreen washer fluid". Very useful to have such a light
(it should be standard) but it shouldn't have flashed as if it was
life-threatening and it should have used an icon that was readily
understandable as being a level of a fluid in conjunction with a windscreen
wiper and/or jet of water.


(*) Back to the point that if you are going to use an obscure icon, at least
make sure that the drawing in the manual is identical to the one on the
dashboard and not a very loose approximation to it.


I agree, but words can be confusing sometimes. I saw in cooking
instructions, after removing from the oven: 'If desired, flash under
grill'.
Ads
  #32  
Old March 17th 18, 10:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,329
Default Weather warnings

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 17/03/2018 10:58, NY wrote:
"John Hall" wrote in message
...
In message , Vir Campestris
writes
And if you happen to be red-green colour blind, like about 10% of men,
they're near as dammit identical. Which is why red is _always_ at the
top.

I was thinking that the current weather warning colours can't be ideal
for these people, and wondering why they didn't use blue as one of the
colours instead (and for traffic lights too).


Japan used to use blue as the "go" light, and still uses this word to
describe a light which is now the bluest shade of green (or greenest
shade of blue) that they could achieve.


There's no particular logic to red for stop and green for go. Apparently
they come from the red and green port and starboard lights on aeroplanes
and boats, so could have been the other way round.


Likewise the convention that red is hot and blue is cold for bath taps. At
one time someone made an arbitrary decision that has become a universal
convention.

I think that railway stop signals used to be white - possibly when white
light meant danger and no white light meant OK - which had a fundamental
flaw that a failed light or one that was missed by the driver was
interpreted as OK...


Irrespective of whether they use red for danger and green for safe or vice
versa, you're still going to get a problem for red-green colour-blind
people. Better to use colours that are less likely to be confused, or else
to use shapes or positioning to convey the meaning for the minority who
can't distinguish the colour.

  #33  
Old March 17th 18, 11:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 95
Default Weather warnings

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 11:51:24 +0000, Scott
wrote:

I agree, but words can be confusing sometimes. I saw in cooking
instructions, after removing from the oven: 'If desired, flash under
grill'.


That could be very painful!

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
In Helensburgh, Scotland.
Weather:- http://windycroft.co.uk/weather
  #34  
Old March 17th 18, 11:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 178
Default Weather warnings

James Heaton wrote:

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
news
On 16/03/2018 17:00, Chris Green wrote:
I agree, I hadn't even realised until recently that there were two
different levels called yellow and amber. Traffic light middle light
is called both yellow and amber so one would assume they're the same.

Traditionally railways use yellow, and roads amber, for the name of the
intermediate colour,

Surely red, orange, yellow would be more obvious.


And if you happen to be red-green colour blind, like about 10% of men,
they're near as dammit identical. Which is why red is _always_ at the top.


When I was a boy, the traffic lights in Chester city centre were an older
type, very slender compared to the standard.

They had 'STOP' marked on the lens for the red.

I believe that was because of an early motoring legal case where the
motorist argued that there was nothing saying that he needed to stop.
I think that there was a change in the law some years after that
removed the need for the STOP wording.

--
Chris Green
·
  #35  
Old March 17th 18, 11:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,329
Default Weather warnings

"Scott" wrote in message
...
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 11:20:13 +0000, Max Demian
wrote:

On 17/03/2018 10:58, NY wrote:
"John Hall" wrote in message
...
In message , Vir Campestris
writes
And if you happen to be red-green colour blind, like about 10% of
men, they're near as dammit identical. Which is why red is _always_
at the top.

I was thinking that the current weather warning colours can't be ideal
for these people, and wondering why they didn't use blue as one of the
colours instead (and for traffic lights too).

Japan used to use blue as the "go" light, and still uses this word to
describe a light which is now the bluest shade of green (or greenest
shade of blue) that they could achieve.


There's no particular logic to red for stop and green for go. Apparently
they come from the red and green port and starboard lights on aeroplanes
and boats, so could have been the other way round.


Are you sure? I thought red was traditionally associated with danger.
Did a red flag not need to be carried in front of motor vehicles long
before traffic lights were introduced?


By that stage, railway signals were using a red light on the spectacle glass
of semaphore arms (so train drivers can see the state of signals at night).

So I'm guessing that red=danger was an association that was established some
time in the 19th century, slightly after the first railways were built when
white lights signified danger.

It is plausible that red=danger and green=go does originally date back to
port/starboard on ships. I wonder how the red=port / green=starboard
convention was established. If you go back far enough, everything is an
arbitrary convention.

  #36  
Old March 17th 18, 02:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,344
Default Weather warnings

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 12:51:05 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

James Heaton wrote:

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
news
On 16/03/2018 17:00, Chris Green wrote:
I agree, I hadn't even realised until recently that there were two
different levels called yellow and amber. Traffic light middle light
is called both yellow and amber so one would assume they're the same.

Traditionally railways use yellow, and roads amber, for the name of the
intermediate colour,

Surely red, orange, yellow would be more obvious.

And if you happen to be red-green colour blind, like about 10% of men,
they're near as dammit identical. Which is why red is _always_ at the top.


When I was a boy, the traffic lights in Chester city centre were an older
type, very slender compared to the standard.

They had 'STOP' marked on the lens for the red.

I believe that was because of an early motoring legal case where the
motorist argued that there was nothing saying that he needed to stop.
I think that there was a change in the law some years after that
removed the need for the STOP wording.


I think it was just harmonisation.
  #37  
Old March 17th 18, 02:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,344
Default Weather warnings

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 17:56:28 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

I noticed on the Look North Leeds weather today that Owain
whats-his-name said that if you wanted more info look at the Met
Office web site the address of which he showed on screen.

Doesn't say much about the forecasters opinion of Meteo Group does it?


Interestingly, they refer to Met Office weather warnings not Meteo
Group weather warnings.
  #38  
Old March 17th 18, 02:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tweed[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 36
Default Weather warnings

Scott wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 17:56:28 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

I noticed on the Look North Leeds weather today that Owain
whats-his-name said that if you wanted more info look at the Met
Office web site the address of which he showed on screen.

Doesn't say much about the forecasters opinion of Meteo Group does it?


Interestingly, they refer to Met Office weather warnings not Meteo
Group weather warnings.


I believe Metro group get their data from the Met office. Their role is to
interpret the data into a form that can be presented to the general public.
So Met Office weather warnings would still make sense in this context.

  #39  
Old March 17th 18, 03:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,344
Default Weather warnings

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 15:38:41 +0000 (UTC), Tweed
wrote:

Scott wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 17:56:28 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

I noticed on the Look North Leeds weather today that Owain
whats-his-name said that if you wanted more info look at the Met
Office web site the address of which he showed on screen.

Doesn't say much about the forecasters opinion of Meteo Group does it?


Interestingly, they refer to Met Office weather warnings not Meteo
Group weather warnings.


I believe Metro group get their data from the Met office. Their role is to
interpret the data into a form that can be presented to the general public.
So Met Office weather warnings would still make sense in this context.


If so, I hope the Met Office is charging them a realistic fee.
  #40  
Old March 17th 18, 06:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,970
Default Weather warnings

On 17/03/2018 11:52, NY wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 17/03/2018 10:58, NY wrote:
"John Hall" wrote in message
...
In message , Vir Campestris
writes
And if you happen to be red-green colour blind, like about 10% of
men, they're near as dammit identical. Which is why red is _always_
at the top.

I was thinking that the current weather warning colours can't be
ideal for these people, and wondering why they didn't use blue as
one of the colours instead (and for traffic lights too).

Japan used to use blue as the "go" light, and still uses this word to
describe a light which is now the bluest shade of green (or greenest
shade of blue) that they could achieve.


There's no particular logic to red for stop and green for go.
Apparently they come from the red and green port and starboard lights
on aeroplanes and boats, so could have been the other way round.


Likewise the convention that red is hot and blue is cold for bath taps.
At one time someone made an arbitrary decision that has become a
universal convention.


Sometimes they have red and green for taps. Red should be cold and green
for hot, as green chillies are usually hotter that red.

Apparently before 1900 girls were dressed in blue and boys in pink

It's all arbitrary.

--
Max Demian
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2018 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.