Weather warnings

Old March 16th 18, 09:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

Default Weather warnings

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 20:44:25 +0000, Dave wrote:

On 16/03/18 16:39, Scott wrote:
Why do they use yellow and amber, which seem to me to be very similar?
Should they not choose colours that are totally dissimilar, as with
electrical cables? Anyone with a visual impairment could be confused.

I was amused to see on BBC News a "yellow snow warning". Surely everyone
knows not to eat yellow snow?

And don't eat red snow, unless you are a vampire.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old March 16th 18, 09:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 16/03/2018 21:51, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 16/03/2018 17:00, Chris Green wrote:
I agree, I hadn't even realised until recently that there were two
different levels called yellow and amber.* Traffic light middle light
is called both yellow and amber so one would assume they're the same.

Traditionally railways use yellow, and roads amber, for the name of the
intermediate colour,

Surely red, orange, yellow would be more obvious.

And if you happen to be red-green colour blind, like about 10% of men,
they're near as dammit identical. Which is why red is _always_ at the top.

Unless they are horizontal, as in Japan and parts of Canada. And
railways everywhere, where the red is at the bottom, and the yellow is a
warning of red ahead rather than an intermediate.

Otherwise you're right. ;-

--
Max Demian
Old March 16th 18, 10:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_4_]

On 16/03/2018 19:49, Peter Duncanson wrote:

The weather is coming from Siberia (in Russia). Perhaps the shape is a
message from President Putin.

It's obvious, isn't it? After his success with new-fangled nerve gases his team of scientists have got control of the winds and for the second time this winter have sent us an icy blast. I'm amazed that the tabloid papers haven't already caught on to this. Too preoccupied with brexit, I suppose.

--
Clive Page
Old March 17th 18, 07:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

You know I was just thinking about this.
How come when its going to be good weather we don't get a Green warning.
Also how do you describe colours of the spectrum in between?
I would say amber is orange.
Maybe a look at the paint colour chart might give some ideas here.
I'd expect a lavender warning for mixed wether and perhaps a spring green
one for we are not quite sure but mostly good.

Of course taking this literally many blind since birth have no concept of
colour so perhaps a scale based on earthquake log based system might be more
appropriate.

Who can say, but since we are never ready in the country for anything out of
the ordinary, why bother at all?

Old March 17th 18, 08:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Has anyone come across these cycle lamps that project the image of a cyclist
on the road ahead of them. I've not actually seen them but last year just
before the clocks went back, our council gave some away to cyclists.

"Norman Wells" wrote in message
On 16/03/2018 16:39, Scott wrote:

Why do they use yellow and amber, which seem to me to be very similar?
Should they not choose colours that are totally dissimilar, as with
electrical cables? Anyone with a visual impairment could be confused.

I think the idea of a yellow and green stripy warning is very sound.

What it would indicate, though, is anyone's guess.

Old March 17th 18, 08:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I had a laugh yesterday when the radio presenter said, you will notice that
parts of Hampshire have no colour at all, this is because we do not have a
forecast for that area. In the old days, real weather forecasters would
extrapolate the weather from the information for nearby areas and the
general direction of travel of the airflow.

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 16/03/2018 16:39, Scott wrote:
Why do they use yellow and amber, which seem to me to be very similar?
Should they not choose colours that are totally dissimilar, as with
electrical cables? Anyone with a visual impairment could be confused.

Why is the yellow splodge over the south-east shaped like a prick and
balls?

Old March 17th 18, 08:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Found in another place..
Note this is a joke.

NOTIFICATION OF COMPULSORY ENLISTMENT

Under the Emergency Powers Act (1939) as amended by the Defence Act
(1979) , you are hereby notified that you are required to place
yourself on standby for possible compulsory military service in the
British Conflict with Russia .

You may shortly be ordered to depart for Russia where you will join
either the 3rd Battalion of the Queens Own Suicidal Conscripts or the
2nd Foot and Mouth. The Regulars are too busy driving Green Goddesses
or assisting in flood relief to be there themselves.

Due to the recent rundown of the Royal Navy and the refusal of Cunard
to lend us any of their liners, because of the deplorable state in
which they were returned after the Falklands adventure, it will be
necessary for you to make your own way to the combat zone. H.M.
Government has been able to negotiate a 20% discount on one-way trips
to Russia with Virgin Airlines and you are strongly advised to take
advantage of this offer (Ryanair also do a nice little 39.99 one-way
trip).
If you are in possession of an airworthy Harrier, we'd gladly let you
join us.

Because of cutbacks in Government expenditure in recent years, it will
be necessary for you to provide yourself with the following equipment
as soon as possible:

* Tins of Spam
* Combat trousers (preferably khaki ? but no disco camouflage)
* False moustaches
* Incontinence pads
* Gas mask or canary
* Map of the combat zone (lonely planet guide or Moscow leisure map of
Russia is suitable)
* Travel Scrabble (for long hours in barracks while waiting for Theresa
May to decide what to do)

If you are in a position to afford it, we would like you to purchase a
Tank (Vickers Defence of Banbury are currently offering all new
conscripts a 0% finance deal on all X registration Chieftains, but
hurry, as offer is only available whilst stocks last).

We should like to reassure you that in the unlikely event of anything
going wrong, you will receive a free burial in the graveyard of your
choice, and your next of kin will be entitled to the new War pension of
3.75 per calendar month, index-linked but subject to means testing,
and fully repayable should our side eventually lose.

There may be little time for formal military training before your
departure and so we advise that you should hire videos of the following
films and try to pick up as many tips as you can whilst you watch these
films:

* The Guns of Navarone
* Blazing Saddles
* Kelly's Heroes
* A Bridge Too Far
* The Longest Day
* Apocalypse Now
* The Matrix
* Mary Poppins

Yours faithfully

A. Person

Old March 17th 18, 08:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

In some parts of the world, like on top of a volcano I went to, a lot of the
snow is yellow, however quite a bit of it was pink.
I'm told that its a bacteria that lives on the minerals in the snow.

Of course this is not the case with the yellow snow we see, its usually fox
pee.

Why would you want to eat snow in any case?