Weather Women

Old March 14th 18, 06:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

Default Weather Women

I have noticed over the last few years that women reading the weather
forecast on the BBC seem to be rising in voice frequency. That skinny one on
Look North has a very high pitched voice, to the point of being irritating.

Old March 14th 18, 09:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 14/03/2018 in message Phi wrote:

I have noticed over the last few years that women reading the weather
forecast on the BBC seem to be rising in voice frequency. That skinny one
on Look North has a very high pitched voice, to the point of being
irritating.

Have you come across Laura Trevelyan on BBC News 24 yet? She can barely
speak English.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they
Old March 14th 18, 11:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 14/03/2018 18:35, Phi wrote:
I have noticed over the last few years that women reading the weather
forecast on the BBC seem to be rising in voice frequency. That skinny one on
Look North has a very high pitched voice, to the point of being irritating.

The BBC used to employ Met Office staff to deliver the forecasts. At
the last contract renewal they went to a private company (I can't
remember who, but their name appears on the bottom of the screen at the
end of the forecast) and it is that company who now supply the readers.

These don't have to be trained in understanding the forecast they read
off the autocue, so the intonation and what they say don't always match.

Old March 15th 18, 08:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I have also noticed that American lady actors and presenters seem to have
trouble coping with all the teeth in their mouths as well, as if they have
had a few extra added.
It may well be affecting men as well, but its hard to tell as most American
shows have mumbling actors most of the time in any case.

news

Old March 15th 18, 08:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

There is a female reporter often used on N Irish items who when she starts
to talk fast its completely unintelligible. Sorry don't know her name.
I have no issue with accents but somebody does need to have a moderation
roll and the tact to have a few words with some people.

Old March 15th 18, 09:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 23:29:04 +0000, Indy Jess John
wrote:

On 14/03/2018 18:35, Phi wrote:
I have noticed over the last few years that women reading the weather
forecast on the BBC seem to be rising in voice frequency. That skinny one on
Look North has a very high pitched voice, to the point of being irritating.

The BBC used to employ Met Office staff to deliver the forecasts. At
the last contract renewal they went to a private company (I can't
remember who, but their name appears on the bottom of the screen at the
end of the forecast)

Meteo Group

and it is that company who now supply the readers.

Not sure about that. I thought previously some of the forecasters
were directly employed by the Met Office and some were on the BBC
payroll. I thought the former group was given the opportunity to
move to the BBC.

Does anyone know for sure - Mark?
Old March 15th 18, 10:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Scott
writes
wrote:

On 14/03/2018 18:35, Phi wrote:
I have noticed over the last few years that women reading the weather
forecast on the BBC seem to be rising in voice frequency. That skinny one on
Look North has a very high pitched voice, to the point of being irritating.

The BBC used to employ Met Office staff to deliver the forecasts. At
the last contract renewal they went to a private company (I can't
remember who, but their name appears on the bottom of the screen at the
end of the forecast)

Meteo Group

and it is that company who now supply the readers.

Not sure about that. I thought previously some of the forecasters
were directly employed by the Met Office and some were on the BBC
payroll. I thought the former group was given the opportunity to
move to the BBC.

Does anyone know for sure - Mark?

I think that's right, though I'm not 100% sure. I think I'd call them
"presenters". They're more than readers but they're not really
forecasters, as they're presenting the agreed forecast, now generated by
Meteogroup and formerly by the Met Office.
--
John Hall
"Hegel was right when he said that we learn from history