Weather Women

Old March 15th 18, 09:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Default Weather Women

On Thursday, 15 March 2018 09:44:47 UTC, Scott wrote:
I have noticed the weather in Scotland has improved compared to
England since the Scottish Parliament was formed :-)

It's Nicola's solar panels, they're absorbing more sunlight.

Owain

Old March 15th 18, 10:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 10:29:53 +0000, John Hall
wrote:

In message , Scott
writes
On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 23:29:04 +0000, Indy Jess John
wrote:

On 14/03/2018 18:35, Phi wrote:
I have noticed over the last few years that women reading the weather
forecast on the BBC seem to be rising in voice frequency. That skinny one on
Look North has a very high pitched voice, to the point of being irritating.

The BBC used to employ Met Office staff to deliver the forecasts. At
the last contract renewal they went to a private company (I can't
remember who, but their name appears on the bottom of the screen at the
end of the forecast)

Meteo Group

and it is that company who now supply the readers.

Not sure about that. I thought previously some of the forecasters
were directly employed by the Met Office and some were on the BBC
payroll. I thought the former group was given the opportunity to
move to the BBC.

Does anyone know for sure - Mark?

I think that's right, though I'm not 100% sure. I think I'd call them
"presenters". They're more than readers but they're not really
forecasters, as they're presenting the agreed forecast, now generated by
Meteogroup and formerly by the Met Office.

Here in Northern Ireland a few years ago, in the days of the Met Office,
there was a short programme about local BBC weather forecasts. As you
say some of the onscreen "forecasters" are purely presenters working
from a script. There was at least one qualified forecaster with a
knowledge of local geography and its effect on the weather. She/he would
take the broad information from "Met central" and work out what that
would mean for various local places and produce the forecast that would
be presented by themselves and the others.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old March 15th 18, 01:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 18:35:43 -0000, "Phi" wrote:

I have noticed over the last few years that women reading the weather
forecast on the BBC seem to be rising in voice frequency. That skinny one
on
Look North has a very high pitched voice, to the point of being
irritating.

Are you sure that isn't the Welshman?
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

There is none in the village.

Old March 15th 18, 01:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

wrote:

On 14/03/2018 18:35, Phi wrote:
I have noticed over the last few years that women reading the weather
forecast on the BBC seem to be rising in voice frequency. That skinny one on
Look North has a very high pitched voice, to the point of being irritating.

The BBC used to employ Met Office staff to deliver the forecasts. At
the last contract renewal they went to a private company (I can't
remember who, but their name appears on the bottom of the screen at the
end of the forecast) and it is that company who now supply the readers.

These don't have to be trained in understanding the forecast they read
off the autocue, so the intonation and what they say don't always match.

The whole BBC weather forecasting contract went to Meteox. They kept some if not
all of the Met Office readers. Some were already freelance fir example Paul
Hudson.

Are you sure? I thought the majority were now employed by the BBC.
Old March 15th 18, 04:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 14:20:14 -0000, "Phi" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I have noticed over the last few years that women reading the
weather
forecast on the BBC seem to be rising in voice frequency. That
skinny one
on
Look North has a very high pitched voice, to the point of being
irritating.

Are you sure that isn't the Welshman?
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

There is none in the village.

There's a tall skinny one in a sky blue suit on Look North
--

Which Look North - Tyne, Leeds, or Hull?

I like the Abi one on LN Leeds, but why does she always wear dresses
of the same figure-hugging cut?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old March 15th 18, 06:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
critcher[_6_]

On 14/03/2018 18:35, Phi wrote:
I have noticed over the last few years that women reading the weather
forecast on the BBC seem to be rising in voice frequency. That skinny
one on Look North has a very high pitched voice, to the point of being
irritating.

Benaz will scare you all to death.
Old March 15th 18, 08:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 15/03/2018 08:39, Brian Gaff wrote:

There is a female reporter often used on N Irish items who when she starts
to talk fast its completely unintelligible. Sorry don't know her name.
I have no issue with accents but somebody does need to have a moderation
roll and the tact to have a few words with some people.
Brian

Is she from Strabane?
Old March 15th 18, 08:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 15/03/2018 21:02, JNugent wrote:
On 15/03/2018 08:39, Brian Gaff wrote:

There is a female reporter often used on N Irish items who when she
starts
to talk fast its completely unintelligible. Sorry don't know her name.
* I have no issue with accents but somebody does need to have a
moderation
roll and the tact to have a few words with some people.
* Brian

Is she from Strabane?

ADDITION:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhGbpatmplQ