The inteligence of pizza delivery drivers.

Old March 10th 18, 05:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default The inteligence of pizza delivery drivers.

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message
Not only that but I occasionally get mail for a different Mews in a
different Road and with a different postcode, the only related
information being the house number. The other Mews in the other road
doesn't even have the same name as the road but is simply called "The
Mews" and in fact consists of the only dwelling places in that road so
you'd think they'd be safe from having their mail delivered elsewhere,
but apparently not.

That's sheer laziness from whoever sorts/delivers the mail.

I once had a letter that had been correctly addressed (valid road, town and
postcode) but had been delivered to me. The only similarity between my
address and the correct one was the road name - and from what I understand
of postal sorting, that's about the last thing that is looked at when
routing: they work in a top down hierarchical approach, looking first at
the town and/or the first part of the postcode, and then once it's arrived
at the correct intermediate depot they look at the first character of the
second part of the postcode to send it to the correcting final sorting
office, from which they then divide the letters into rounds for the
postmen - and only at that stage is the road name looked at.

My postman was gobsmacked when he saw the letter and told me about the
system when explaining why it was a "can't happen" error.

Old March 10th 18, 05:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 10/03/2018 10:27, Roderick Stewart wrote:

Sometimes I think about this when watching those documentaries where
the cops break doors down and point guns at the occupants, or worse
still, dramas where hitmen shoot people on their doorsteps. The more
ways you can be wrongly identified, the more ways you can be wrongly
identified by the wrong people.

A friend of mine had a house that has the suffix A after the number.
Next door there was a man who kept himself to himself. He had the same
house number but no suffix. Someone broke into my friend's house and
totally wrecked it. They smashed every single sink and toilet, smashed
every telly, wrecked the cooker, turned all the taps on upstairs so the
house flooded, slashed all the furniture, smashed every mirror. It
turned out they had the wrong address. It was a gangland revenge thing
against the man next door. My friend had to live in an hotel for a year
while the house was fixed. The floors downstairs had to come up, etc. It
cost the insurance £40,000.

Old March 10th 18, 06:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Oh, maybe its the EUs fault then. On the other hand somebody might have
added a word into the dictionary which is actually not a word.

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/03/2018 08:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
And why does my spellchecker keep changing minutes?
Brian

Noun: Minuit
Dutch colonist who bought Manhattan from the Native Americans for the
equivalent of $24 (1580-1638)

No idea.

--
Max Demian

Old March 10th 18, 08:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

Our postman and postwoman are brilliant. When they realised I was
incapacitated they started bringing the post to the side door, which is
up a flight of steps. They also have a really good way of dealing with
dogs. They carry treats.

Bill

IRTA Tasers
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old March 11th 18, 10:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 10 March 2018 13:37:07 UTC, Peter Duncanson wrote:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 10:56:17 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 10/03/18 10:27, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 09:47:21 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

What can be very annoying about that is when they unimaginatively use
the same name for the Mews as the road it is off of. That way you can be
sure the residents of 1, 2, and 3 XYZ Mews and XYZ Road will
intermittently get each others' mail, when the postie is in too much of
a hurry to read the street address.

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who has this problem. One
of my former neighbours managed to get the postcodes changed, so that
the Road and the Mews have different postcodes, but that was nearly 20
years ago and people still sometimes get it wrong.

The problem isn't just wrong postcodes issued by the PO, it's that some
satnav databases have incorrect entries. Some couriers always get the
correct address, while others always get it wrong. Why they don't
correct them when told its wrong is beyond me.

Not only that but I occasionally get mail for a different Mews in a
different Road and with a different postcode, the only related
information being the house number. The other Mews in the other road
doesn't even have the same name as the road but is simply called "The
Mews" and in fact consists of the only dwelling places in that road so
you'd think they'd be safe from having their mail delivered elsewhere,
but apparently not.

That's sheer laziness from whoever sorts/delivers the mail.

Sometimes I think about this when watching those documentaries where
the cops break doors down and point guns at the occupants, or worse
still, dramas where hitmen shoot people on their doorsteps. The more
ways you can be wrongly identified, the more ways you can be wrongly
identified by the wrong people.

I've never yet seen a documentary about what happens in the aftermath
of the police breaking the wrong door down. Funny, that. Maybe the
documentary makers don't think it would be as exciting as a bit of
good old destruction with shouting, or maybe the cops have been asked
but are reluctant to cooperate in such a thing. I wonder.

I've wondered about that too. Quite a lot of hits using "wrong"
"address" "police" "raid" in a Google search.

This one was interesting::
https://www.donoghue-solicitors.co.uk/actions-against-the-police/case-reports/police-raid-compensation-claim/

Everyone makes mistakes; why can't they just admit it, compensate
sensibly, and move on?

Because as a publicly funded public body the police have no power to
hand over money in compensation unless it is required or authorised by
law.

The background to this is the constitutional principle in the UK that a
citizen can do anything as long as it is not banned by law, whereas the
government and other public bodies can do only those things explicitly
permitted by law.

Not heard that one, and it appears to be a paraphrase of the saying: -

"In France everything is legal unless prohibited by law, whereas in Germany everything is illegal unless permitted by law."

So, in this case unless there is a law authorising the police to decide,
by themselves, to pay compensation, at a rate stated in law, they can
only pay compensation when a court has decided whether compensation is
due, and how much.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)

Old March 11th 18, 11:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

wrote:

[...]

smile
I think the principle precedes that saying.

Old March 11th 18, 11:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 04:03:44 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

On Saturday, 10 March 2018 15:01:07 UTC, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 10/03/2018 14:33, Max Demian wrote:
On 10/03/2018 12:22, lid wrote:

Several times a year we get deliveries to my house number and road
address.But for another similarly named road about 8 miles away in the
same post code area, but different post code. Once I came home and
found a nice new mercedes parked on the drive and keys put through
letter box.

What did you do with the Merc?

If he reports it to the police as lost property found, and nobody
collects it, it will become his to keep :-)

Jim

Apparently he doesn't even need to do that it is is on his land: -

The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 which say you have a right to keep goods delivered to you that you didn't request.

Does "goods delivered to you" include goods addressed to someone else
but mistakenly delivered to you, I wonder. Or do the goods have to be
addressed to you? For example you order something but actually receive
something different which is more valuable than what you ordered.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old March 11th 18, 11:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Peter Duncanson wrote:

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional

Charges) Regulations 2013 which say you have a right to keep goods
delivered to you that you didn't request.

Does "goods delivered to you" include goods addressed to someone else
but mistakenly delivered to you, I wonder.

It comes under "inertia selling" and "unsolicited supply of goods"

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/39/made

probably depends whether it is a "supply"
Old March 11th 18, 12:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 12:33:10 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Peter Duncanson wrote:

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional
Charges) Regulations 2013 which say you have a right to keep goods
delivered to you that you didn't request.

Does "goods delivered to you" include goods addressed to someone else
but mistakenly delivered to you, I wonder.

It comes under "inertia selling" and "unsolicited supply of goods"

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/39/made

probably depends whether it is a "supply"

That legislation amends a previous set of regulations.

27A.—(1) This regulation applies where a trader engages in the
unfair commercial practice described in paragraph 29 of Schedule 1
(inertia selling).

Where Schedule 1 is Schedule 1 in the original "The Consumer Protection
from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008".

29. Demanding immediate or deferred payment for or the return or
safekeeping of products supplied by the trader, but not solicited by
the consumer,

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...chedule/1/made

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)