The inteligence of pizza delivery drivers.

Old March 9th 18, 05:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default The inteligence of pizza delivery drivers.

On 09/03/2018 14:22, Jonathan wrote:
On Friday, 9 March 2018 10:19:48 UTC, charles wrote:
They are calculated by postman's delivery rounds. They are rarely unique
to an individual building. Our railway station has about twenty houses,
shops and flats with the same postcode - they are all in the "station
approach road".

In article , Brian Gaff
wrote:
You may say that, but a friend of mine has the same post code as the
railway station at Chessington south. I am not sure how these things are
calculated. Brian

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Not sure I believe that. We used to live in a village of around 40 houses, all delivered by the same postman. We lived in a group of three cottage a quarter of a mile up a private drive. Those three cottage had a different postcode to the rest of the village which had the dame one. the same thing happens where I live now. the lane we are on has a different postcode to the rest of the village despite having only three houses on it.

Jonathan

Friend of mine moved to a new development. They were told the postcode,
which was also on all the promotional material. They told everyone their
new address and postcode. Out of interest I looked the postcode up. It
was for two houses out in the sticks, about fifteen miles away from the
new development. The Post Office suddenly announced that that postcode
was wrong for the new development and issued a different one.

Old March 9th 18, 05:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Our postman and postwoman are brilliant. When they realised I was
incapacitated they started bringing the post to the side door, which is
up a flight of steps. They also have a really good way of dealing with
dogs. They carry treats.

Old March 10th 18, 07:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

And why does my spellchecker keep changing minutes?

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Did this person live in Serbia or one of the other bits of Yugoslavia?
They are being blamed for the electric clocks in everyone's cookers losing
five minuits since January.

"Max Demian" wrote in message
On 09/03/2018 10:21, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 01:25:09 +0000, Davey
wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 19:41:32 -0000
"tim..." wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news

I'm standing at the door talking to somebody on a block of flats in
a council estate, they are all called something house wotsit court
etc all with names of ex council leaders or smart ass developers.
Along comes this guy with a pizza and asks with a slight accident.
Is this Basketball court.
I look at him, well in his direction and say, now does it look like
one, its a block of flats.

I live in a block of flats and my address is XX Something Drive, cos
they have just numbered the 9 flats in the block as a continuation of
the street numbers.

My house is called Something House, at the end of Something Lane. We
often get drivers trying to deliver items for one of the neighbours in
the same road, but they apparently cannot see the name of our house,
which is in raised letters, in a colour that contrasts with the
background, and whose letters are about 8 inches tall, and right next
to the door. Despite all that, they are amazed when we hand the item
back to them, pointing out the house name with a short movement of the
hand.

You might be interested to see this from today's BBC web page-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-norther...-west-43328227

It's an item about successful delivery of a parcel in with an
unreadable address. Pictures show that the address is indeed
unreadable. It happened in Ireland so maybe the Irish are more clever
than some might be willing to acknowledge, or maybe they're just very
friendly so everybody knows everybody else.

There was a case a few years ago of a letter whose address was something
like, "50 Hz, 240 Volts AC" &c. Obviously a non-English speaking person
had copied out the wrong part of an advertisement, thinking it was the
address. The Post Office delivered it to a large electrical company and
let them deal with it.

--
Max Demian

Old March 10th 18, 07:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

When I was young we had a problem with horses getting into gardens.
I seemed to be the only person they really wanted to get through to my
house and back. I have no idea what that says about me, and I'd rather not
know.
I kind of miss those times when up to three horses would be munching the
front or back garden plants and all grouped together across the door when
anyone came to the house.
Mind you my parents were not so amused.

news

Old March 10th 18, 08:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 09/03/18 18:00, Bill Wright wrote:

Friend of mine moved to a new development. They were told the postcode,
which was also on all the promotional material. They told everyone their
new address and postcode. Out of interest I looked the postcode up. It
was for two houses out in the sticks, about fifteen miles away from the
new development. The Post Office suddenly announced that that postcode
was wrong for the new development and issued a different one.

Bill

Twenty years ago I was working for a large company in a county town when
the post office suddenly announced the postcode was changing, as it had
been incorrect when issued many years earlier. All the other business in
the street had the correct postcode; that for the company I was in was
for a residential street about a mile away. Despite that, mail for the
company was always delivered without problem.

The company told the PO it would cost many hundreds of thousands of
pounds to change the postcode on all their product packaging and
stationery, and the PO would have to pay for it all as it was their
mistake. Unsurprisingly, it was the residential street which had its
postcode changed so it didn't clash with that of the company!

--

Jeff
Old March 10th 18, 08:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 09/03/18 11:34, tim... wrote:

just down the road from me they knocked down one big house and built 3 small
ones

cos there was no space in the numbering they have called them 1, 2 & 3 XYZ
Mews

What can be very annoying about that is when they unimaginatively use
the same name for the Mews as the road it is off of. That way you can be
sure the residents of 1, 2, and 3 XYZ Mews and XYZ Road will
intermittently get each others' mail, when the postie is in too much of
a hurry to read the street address.

--

Jeff
Old March 10th 18, 09:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 09:47:21 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

What can be very annoying about that is when they unimaginatively use
the same name for the Mews as the road it is off of. That way you can be
sure the residents of 1, 2, and 3 XYZ Mews and XYZ Road will
intermittently get each others' mail, when the postie is in too much of
a hurry to read the street address.

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who has this problem. One
of my former neighbours managed to get the postcodes changed, so that
the Road and the Mews have different postcodes, but that was nearly 20
years ago and people still sometimes get it wrong.

Not only that but I occasionally get mail for a different Mews in a
different Road and with a different postcode, the only related
information being the house number. The other Mews in the other road
doesn't even have the same name as the road but is simply called "The
Mews" and in fact consists of the only dwelling places in that road so
you'd think they'd be safe from having their mail delivered elsewhere,
but apparently not.

Sometimes I think about this when watching those documentaries where
the cops break doors down and point guns at the occupants, or worse
still, dramas where hitmen shoot people on their doorsteps. The more
ways you can be wrongly identified, the more ways you can be wrongly
identified by the wrong people.

I've never yet seen a documentary about what happens in the aftermath
of the police breaking the wrong door down. Funny, that. Maybe the
documentary makers don't think it would be as exciting as a bit of
good old destruction with shouting, or maybe the cops have been asked
but are reluctant to cooperate in such a thing. I wonder.

Old March 10th 18, 09:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

wrote:

What can be very annoying about that is when they unimaginatively use
the same name for the Mews as the road it is off of. That way you can be
sure the residents of 1, 2, and 3 XYZ Mews and XYZ Road will
intermittently get each others' mail, when the postie is in too much of
a hurry to read the street address.

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who has this problem. One
of my former neighbours managed to get the postcodes changed, so that
the Road and the Mews have different postcodes, but that was nearly 20
years ago and people still sometimes get it wrong.

The problem isn't just wrong postcodes issued by the PO, it's that some
satnav databases have incorrect entries. Some couriers always get the
correct address, while others always get it wrong. Why they don't
correct them when told its wrong is beyond me.

Not only that but I occasionally get mail for a different Mews in a
different Road and with a different postcode, the only related
information being the house number. The other Mews in the other road
doesn't even have the same name as the road but is simply called "The
Mews" and in fact consists of the only dwelling places in that road so
you'd think they'd be safe from having their mail delivered elsewhere,
but apparently not.

That's sheer laziness from whoever sorts/delivers the mail.

Sometimes I think about this when watching those documentaries where
the cops break doors down and point guns at the occupants, or worse
still, dramas where hitmen shoot people on their doorsteps. The more
ways you can be wrongly identified, the more ways you can be wrongly
identified by the wrong people.

I've never yet seen a documentary about what happens in the aftermath
of the police breaking the wrong door down. Funny, that. Maybe the
documentary makers don't think it would be as exciting as a bit of
good old destruction with shouting, or maybe the cops have been asked
but are reluctant to cooperate in such a thing. I wonder.

I've wondered about that too. Quite a lot of hits using "wrong"
"address" "police" "raid" in a Google search.

This one was interesting::
https://www.donoghue-solicitors.co.uk/actions-against-the-police/case-reports/police-raid-compensation-claim/

Everyone makes mistakes; why can't they just admit it, compensate
sensibly, and move on?

--

Jeff
Old March 10th 18, 10:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Not neccessarily. We no longer seem to have regular postman - just
somebody, who seems to change alsmost daily, who is allocated to our round.
They don't seem to have English as a first language.

In January I mistakenly posted a letter to no 91 in a certain road. A
month later it was returned marked "unknown". I checked the address it
should have been no 90!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old March 10th 18, 10:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

wrote:

What can be very annoying about that is when they unimaginatively use
the same name for the Mews as the road it is off of. That way you can be
sure the residents of 1, 2, and 3 XYZ Mews and XYZ Road will
intermittently get each others' mail, when the postie is in too much of
a hurry to read the street address.

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who has this problem. One
of my former neighbours managed to get the postcodes changed, so that
the Road and the Mews have different postcodes,

doesn't help

I have many occurrences (at more than one address) of getting the wrong mail
because the postie has only read half the address. That the other address
had a completely different post code was ignored by postie

tim