A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

The inteligence of pizza delivery drivers.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old March 9th 18, 09:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 699
Default The inteligence of pizza delivery drivers.

They are calculated by postman's delivery rounds. They are rarely unique
to an individual building. Our railway station has about twenty houses,
shops and flats with the same postcode - they are all in the "station
approach road".


In article , Brian Gaff
wrote:
You may say that, but a friend of mine has the same post code as the
railway station at Chessington south. I am not sure how these things are
calculated. Brian


--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Ads
  #12  
Old March 9th 18, 09:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ashley Booth[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 93
Default The inteligence of pizza delivery drivers.

Davey wrote:

On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 19:41:32 -0000
"tim..." wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I'm standing at the door talking to somebody on a block of flats
in a council estate, they are all called something house wotsit
court etc all with names of ex council leaders or smart ass
developers. Along comes this guy with a pizza and asks with a
slight accident. Is this Basketball court.
I look at him, well in his direction and say, now does it look
like one, its a block of flats.


I live in a block of flats and my address is XX Something Drive, cos
they have just numbered the 9 flats in the block as a continuation
of the street numbers.

tim




My house is called Something House, at the end of Something Lane. We
often get drivers trying to deliver items for one of the neighbours in
the same road, but they apparently cannot see the name of our house,
which is in raised letters, in a colour that contrasts with the
background, and whose letters are about 8 inches tall, and right next
to the door. Despite all that, they are amazed when we hand the item
back to them, pointing out the house name with a short movement of the
hand.


We should all use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What3words

This divides the world into 3x3 metre squares. Each one has a unique
address of 3 words.



--
Ashley

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

  #13  
Old March 9th 18, 09:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,246
Default The inteligence of pizza delivery drivers.

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 01:25:09 +0000, Davey
wrote:

On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 19:41:32 -0000
"tim..." wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I'm standing at the door talking to somebody on a block of flats in
a council estate, they are all called something house wotsit court
etc all with names of ex council leaders or smart ass developers.
Along comes this guy with a pizza and asks with a slight accident.
Is this Basketball court.
I look at him, well in his direction and say, now does it look like
one, its a block of flats.


I live in a block of flats and my address is XX Something Drive, cos
they have just numbered the 9 flats in the block as a continuation of
the street numbers.

tim




My house is called Something House, at the end of Something Lane. We
often get drivers trying to deliver items for one of the neighbours in
the same road, but they apparently cannot see the name of our house,
which is in raised letters, in a colour that contrasts with the
background, and whose letters are about 8 inches tall, and right next
to the door. Despite all that, they are amazed when we hand the item
back to them, pointing out the house name with a short movement of the
hand.


You might be interested to see this from today's BBC web page-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-norther...-west-43328227

It's an item about successful delivery of a parcel in with an
unreadable address. Pictures show that the address is indeed
unreadable. It happened in Ireland so maybe the Irish are more clever
than some might be willing to acknowledge, or maybe they're just very
friendly so everybody knows everybody else.

Rod.
  #14  
Old March 9th 18, 10:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,970
Default The inteligence of pizza delivery drivers.

On 09/03/2018 10:21, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 01:25:09 +0000, Davey
wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 19:41:32 -0000
"tim..." wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news


I'm standing at the door talking to somebody on a block of flats in
a council estate, they are all called something house wotsit court
etc all with names of ex council leaders or smart ass developers.
Along comes this guy with a pizza and asks with a slight accident.
Is this Basketball court.
I look at him, well in his direction and say, now does it look like
one, its a block of flats.

I live in a block of flats and my address is XX Something Drive, cos
they have just numbered the 9 flats in the block as a continuation of
the street numbers.


My house is called Something House, at the end of Something Lane. We
often get drivers trying to deliver items for one of the neighbours in
the same road, but they apparently cannot see the name of our house,
which is in raised letters, in a colour that contrasts with the
background, and whose letters are about 8 inches tall, and right next
to the door. Despite all that, they are amazed when we hand the item
back to them, pointing out the house name with a short movement of the
hand.


You might be interested to see this from today's BBC web page-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-norther...-west-43328227

It's an item about successful delivery of a parcel in with an
unreadable address. Pictures show that the address is indeed
unreadable. It happened in Ireland so maybe the Irish are more clever
than some might be willing to acknowledge, or maybe they're just very
friendly so everybody knows everybody else.


There was a case a few years ago of a letter whose address was something
like, "50 Hz, 240 Volts AC" &c. Obviously a non-English speaking person
had copied out the wrong part of an advertisement, thinking it was the
address. The Post Office delivered it to a large electrical company and
let them deal with it.

--
Max Demian
  #15  
Old March 9th 18, 10:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 619
Default The inteligence of pizza delivery drivers.



"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
...
On 08/03/2018 19:41, tim... wrote:

I live in a block of flats and my address is XX Something Drive, cos they
have just numbered the 9 flats in the block as a continuation of the
street
numbers.

tim


Provided the numbers are in a logical place in the sequence of road
address numbering. that shouldn't be a problem. When I was a teenager
with a paper round I had a block like that on my round, and I had no
trouble delivering papers to the three flats that had ordered them.


just down the road from me they knocked down one big house and built 3 small
ones

cos there was no space in the numbering they have called them 1, 2 & 3 XYZ
Mews

tim





  #16  
Old March 9th 18, 11:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,307
Default The inteligence of pizza delivery drivers.

On 09/03/2018 10:03, Chris Green wrote:

Our village in Suffolk confuses anyone who doesn't know it. It's
mostly land settlement houses built in the 1920s and 1930s, these have
sequential numbers which run right round all the roads in the village.
I.e. numbers 1 to 10 (say) are on Ipswich Road and numbers 30 to 46 are
on our road with others on other roads. Just to add to the fun
the houses are not always in numeric order along the roads.

That is an American way. Someone I know in America moved house onto a
newly built area which Google Maps showed at the time as an empty space.
He sent me his new address as number 2000 and something.

Later, I looked at Bing Maps and they had the roads shown, but none of
them looked anywhere near long enough to have 2000 houses. So next time
I spoke to him I asked how his address had such a large house number,
and he explained that the houses in the development were numbered 1 to N
where N is the total number of houses built, regardless of the streets
they are in.

Jim

  #17  
Old March 9th 18, 12:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,310
Default The inteligence of pizza delivery drivers.

On Fri, 09 Mar 2018 12:36:17 +0000
Indy Jess John wrote:

On 09/03/2018 10:03, Chris Green wrote:

Our village in Suffolk confuses anyone who doesn't know it. It's
mostly land settlement houses built in the 1920s and 1930s, these
have sequential numbers which run right round all the roads in the
village. I.e. numbers 1 to 10 (say) are on Ipswich Road and numbers
30 to 46 are on our road with others on other roads. Just to add
to the fun the houses are not always in numeric order along the
roads.

That is an American way. Someone I know in America moved house onto
a newly built area which Google Maps showed at the time as an empty
space. He sent me his new address as number 2000 and something.

Later, I looked at Bing Maps and they had the roads shown, but none
of them looked anywhere near long enough to have 2000 houses. So
next time I spoke to him I asked how his address had such a large
house number, and he explained that the houses in the development
were numbered 1 to N where N is the total number of houses built,
regardless of the streets they are in.

Jim


In the US, they often use a distance, feet, yards, whatever, from the
end of the street as the number of the house. I have known house
numbers in the 30,000 range using this method.

--
Davey.
  #18  
Old March 9th 18, 01:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jonathan[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 42
Default The inteligence of pizza delivery drivers.

On Friday, 9 March 2018 10:19:48 UTC, charles wrote:
They are calculated by postman's delivery rounds. They are rarely unique
to an individual building. Our railway station has about twenty houses,
shops and flats with the same postcode - they are all in the "station
approach road".


In article , Brian Gaff
wrote:
You may say that, but a friend of mine has the same post code as the
railway station at Chessington south. I am not sure how these things are
calculated. Brian


--
from KT24 in Surrey, England


Not sure I believe that. We used to live in a village of around 40 houses, all delivered by the same postman. We lived in a group of three cottage a quarter of a mile up a private drive. Those three cottage had a different postcode to the rest of the village which had the dame one. the same thing happens where I live now. the lane we are on has a different postcode to the rest of the village despite having only three houses on it.

Jonathan
  #19  
Old March 9th 18, 02:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 234
Default The inteligence of pizza delivery drivers.

On Friday, 9 March 2018 14:22:05 UTC, Jonathan wrote:
Not sure I believe that. We used to live in a village of around 40 houses,
all delivered by the same postman. We lived in a group of three cottage a
quarter of a mile up a private drive. Those three cottage had a different
postcode to the rest of the village which had the dame one.


It might be the same postal route *now*, but not when the postcodes were introduced. The postman might have done the main road on foot, but the cottages got someone different on a bicycle.

Owain

  #20  
Old March 9th 18, 03:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,250
Default The inteligence of pizza delivery drivers.

Did this person live in Serbia or one of the other bits of Yugoslavia? They
are being blamed for the electric clocks in everyone's cookers losing five
minuits since January.
Brian

--
----- -
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Max Demian" wrote in message
...
On 09/03/2018 10:21, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 01:25:09 +0000, Davey
wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 19:41:32 -0000
"tim..." wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news


I'm standing at the door talking to somebody on a block of flats in
a council estate, they are all called something house wotsit court
etc all with names of ex council leaders or smart ass developers.
Along comes this guy with a pizza and asks with a slight accident.
Is this Basketball court.
I look at him, well in his direction and say, now does it look like
one, its a block of flats.

I live in a block of flats and my address is XX Something Drive, cos
they have just numbered the 9 flats in the block as a continuation of
the street numbers.


My house is called Something House, at the end of Something Lane. We
often get drivers trying to deliver items for one of the neighbours in
the same road, but they apparently cannot see the name of our house,
which is in raised letters, in a colour that contrasts with the
background, and whose letters are about 8 inches tall, and right next
to the door. Despite all that, they are amazed when we hand the item
back to them, pointing out the house name with a short movement of the
hand.


You might be interested to see this from today's BBC web page-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-norther...-west-43328227

It's an item about successful delivery of a parcel in with an
unreadable address. Pictures show that the address is indeed
unreadable. It happened in Ireland so maybe the Irish are more clever
than some might be willing to acknowledge, or maybe they're just very
friendly so everybody knows everybody else.


There was a case a few years ago of a letter whose address was something
like, "50 Hz, 240 Volts AC" &c. Obviously a non-English speaking person
had copied out the wrong part of an advertisement, thinking it was the
address. The Post Office delivered it to a large electrical company and
let them deal with it.

--
Max Demian



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2018 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.