Digital TV Banter

Digital TV Banter (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Upgrading Tivo to VM 6 box (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36569)

David[_14_] March 8th 18 05:04 PM

Upgrading Tivo to VM 6 box

I'm just starting this process; I've received all the bits and the
instructions and am reading through them.

First thing; I've been given an SH3 as an upgrade to my original SH. I've
read bad things about the SH3 and am reasonably happy with the 160 Mb/sec
I currently get from my SH. I could go to 200 Mb/sec with the SH3 but if
there are intermittent problems then it may not be worth it. Anyone done
this?

Secondly, Virgin don't want the original Tivo back. t should be recycled.
It does, however, have a 500 GB HDD (new one has 1TB). Has anyone removed
the HDD from a Tivo and got it to work in a PC (I'm not after the
contents, just a reformat and use the drive).

The new box is a bit of a puzzle.

It doesn't seem to have a card slot like the old one (I assumed that I
would just swap the card over). I have to phone to activate it.

The connector on the back is BNC like a TV aerial with an adapter to the F
connector on the co-ax lead. I always thought that the F connector was the
better option so I have no idea why this is the set up (unless it is an
American thing).

Anyway, if anyone has travelled this route before me then tips and tricks
would be welcome.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Woody[_5_] March 8th 18 06:32 PM

Upgrading Tivo to VM 6 box

"David" wrote in message
[...]

The HDD can be removed and reused. They are usually good ones like
Hitachi, Seagate, or if you are lucky WD and will be SATA.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Indy Jess John March 8th 18 11:06 PM

Upgrading Tivo to VM 6 box

On 08/03/2018 17:04, David wrote:

It does, however, have a 500 GB HDD (new one has 1TB). Has anyone removed
the HDD from a Tivo and got it to work in a PC (I'm not after the
contents, just a reformat and use the drive).

I haven't tried it myself (because I have never had a Tivo), but hard
drives are either IDE (connected by a ribbon cable) or SATA (connected
by a thinner cable and a smaller plug). Both types have also a power
connection to make it spin.

The only exception to this I have found is a DELL laptop which had an
extended IDE connector which also delivered power.

I would expect the Tivo to have a SATA disc. You probably won't be able
to read the contents of the drive with the Tivo recordings on it, but
you will be able to reformat the drive and use it either inside your
computer, or in a caddy which has a USB connection to your computer.

500Gb is a decent size, and certainly worth rescuing.

Jim

Vir Campestris March 11th 18 08:40 PM

Upgrading Tivo to VM 6 box

On 08/03/2018 23:06, Indy Jess John wrote:
I haven't tried it myself (because I have never had a Tivo), but hard
drives are either IDE (connected by a ribbon cable) or SATA (connected
by a thinner cable and a smaller plug).* Both types have also a power
connection to make it spin.

There are exceptions - but I don't expect you'll see them in a PVR.
(SCSI, SAS, ST506, ESDI spring to mind, and there are sure to be others)

The only exception to this I have found is a DELL laptop which had an
extended IDE connector which also delivered power.

I've seen that on SATA too.

Andy