As planned I upgraded my TV equipment

Old March 12th 18, 09:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Default As planned I upgraded my TV equipment

critcher wrote:

If your disc is getting full, then you must be,like me, not watching
what you have recorded.I think there is a problem with HD recorders
where we never watch what we record and keep it "in case"

When my old Humax 9200T filled up, much of which was recorded at
the behest of the other 50% of the household, I had to spend ages
copying it off to DVD.

One or two programme sets have already been culled, unwatched; it
saves a lot of time. ;-)

Meanwhile I had to set up a database to list what we have on DVD.
The unwatched collection also includes a reasonable pile of
commercial recordings still in their shrink wrap.

Eventually it became really glitch, and I also went HD.

The HDR-2000T has greater capacity, and I can't easily copy off
the material, so decisions have to be made. Things ran close to
the wire when it was necessary to record great chunks of
broadcasts, especially from Red Button, in order to find Olympic
ice hockey matches

I find that being able to create folders and move stuff around is
really handy, as is the EPG search facility.

The things I miss a

No run time indicator on the front panel, and the hard to
interpret blue/ dim red/ bright red LED that I can never get
right.

Recordings cannot be edited to keep only the bit you want.

No slow-mo replay mode.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old March 12th 18, 04:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_4_]

On 12/03/2018 10:37, Martin wrote:

A lot is recorded "just in case it is worth watching"

Indeed. I think of it this way - one of the benefits of owning a recorder is that you can get a machine to watch television so you don't have to waste as much of your own time doing it.

--
Clive Page
Old March 12th 18, 05:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 17:44:47 +0000 Clive Page posted:

On 12/03/2018 10:37, Martin wrote:

A lot is recorded "just in case it is worth watching"

Indeed. I think of it this way - one of the benefits of owning a recorder is that you can get a machine to watch television so you don't have to waste as much of your own time doing it.

"The Electric Monk was a labour-saving device, like a dishwasher or a
video recorder. Dishwashers washed tedious dishes for you, thus saving
you the bother of washing them yourself, video recorders watched tedious
television for you, thus saving you the bother of looking at it
yourself; Electric Monks believed things for you, thus saving you what
was becoming an increasingly onerous task, that of believing all the
things the world expected you to believe."

Douglas Adams.
Old March 13th 18, 01:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 12/03/2018 10:37, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 18:52:47 +0000, critcher
wrote:

On 06/03/2018 10:55, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 10:10:25 +0000, Clive Page wrote:

On 05/03/2018 08:36, Bill Wright wrote:
I bought a Humax FVP-5000T 1TB receiver and because I'm incapacitated Paul installed it for me. This was three days ago and so far I'm very impressed by the receiver. Very fast to respond, very user friendly, really good clear graphics. I haven't found any programming oddities. Of course we downloaded new software. I miss the Freesat box's front panel display though.

The thing I find missing on current Humax PVRs is some way of locating quickly
something you have recorded once the 1TB starts to get full.

Thanks for your recommendation. We're thinking about getting a new video recorder to replace one that must be nearly 10 years old and won't do HD and has an annoying bug besides. But I'm bemused by the fact that the Humax models seem to come in two flavours: one which will do Freview but not Freesat, and the other Freesat but not Freeview. I have a TV that will receive both and we use both systems when necessary since, as you say, some channels are on and not the other. Also it's nice to have a bit of redundancy.

Can there be some technical reason that Humax doesn't produce a single box with both Freesat and Freeview tuners, or is it simply laziness on their part? That also seems unlikely, for the same reasons that most companies nowadays produce consumer products that e.g. cope with 120v and 240v mains - it's just easier to have one model that suits the whole world.

Which programmes are on Freeview that are not on Freesat, and are worth
watching?

If your disc is getting full, then you must be,like me, not watching
what you have recorded.I think there is a problem with HD recorders
where we never watch what we record and keep it "in case"

A lot is recorded "just in case it is worth watching"

Formula 1 for example. I record it and then watch at 4 times speed
and only rewind and watch at normal speed if something exciting
happens. Without a SKy sub I won't even be doing that in 2019.
Old March 13th 18, 01:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 14:11:08 +0000 (GMT), Bob Latham

Andrew wrote:

Formula 1 for example. I record it and then watch at 4 times speed and
only rewind and watch at normal speed if something exciting happens.
Without a SKy sub I won't even be doing that in 2019.

There is some suggestion that Sky will provide the same service currently
provided by C4 in 2019 and onwards. How that will be done I don't know but
I think Sky do have a freeview channel don't they?

Bob.

Sky has two channels on Freeview: Pick and Challenge. They are also on
Freesat.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)

Old March 13th 18, 02:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Andrew wrote:

Formula 1 for example. I record it and then watch at 4 times speed and
only rewind and watch at normal speed if something exciting happens.
Without a SKy sub I won't even be doing that in 2019.

There is some suggestion that Sky will provide the same service currently
provided by C4 in 2019 and onwards. How that will be done I don't know but
I think Sky do have a freeview channel don't they?

Bob.

Sky has two channels on Freeview: Pick and Challenge. They are also on
Freesat.

So is Sky News.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)

Old March 13th 18, 03:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

Andrew wrote:

Formula 1 for example. I record it and then watch at 4 times speed and
only rewind and watch at normal speed if something exciting happens.
Without a SKy sub I won't even be doing that in 2019.

There is some suggestion that Sky will provide the same service currently
provided by C4 in 2019 and onwards. How that will be done I don't know but
I think Sky do have a freeview channel don't they?

Bob.

Sky has two channels on Freeview: Pick and Challenge. They are also on
Freesat.

So is Sky News.

Indeed. I was thinking of the Sky channels that could perhaps be used to
show Formula 1. I don't think Sky would contemplate using several hours
a week on their News channel for each F1 race and its qualifying
sessions.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old March 13th 18, 08:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

Andrew wrote:

[...]

On occasion, Pick has been used to show live coverage from the Magic Weekend
rugby league (2 days where all the teams play a game, back to back.)

So some precedent - but only 1ce/year

James