As planned I upgraded my TV equipment

Old March 8th 18, 02:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Default As planned I upgraded my TV equipment

Peter Duncanson wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 11:40:06 +0000, Peter Duncanson
wrote:

The BBC is not alone in prefixing programme titles with "ew".

?? I'm sure I typed "New".

I often get that error by typing CTRL+x rather than SHIFT+x. :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Old March 8th 18, 03:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 8 March 2018 10:55:24 UTC, wrote:
On 08/03/2018 10:06, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

I vowed to add Freeview to my living room equipment.
I bought a Humax FVP-5000T 1TB receiver and because I'm incapacitated
Paul installed it for me.

I thought you were still scampering around on roofs fitting aerials?

Firstly I never 'scampered', not having the build or disposition for it.
Secondly I did very little roof work after about 2002. Thirdly I took
early retirement in March 2012 following an incident that caused me to
send the following to S Yorks Ambulance:

(extract)
My wife collapsed at home with no detectable pulse and no respiration. I
dialled 999 of course, and in what seemed like a remarkably short space
of time the fast response ambulance car came, the man bounding up our
stairs with his bag. The big ambulance arrived soon after.
Your staff were so quick and efficient in everything they did, that even
in my panic-stricken state I felt astonishment. There’s no doubt that
these people saved my wife’s life, and I can’t begin to express my
gratitude for that.
That covers the technical professionalism, but it went further than
that. They dealt with me, distraught as I was, with great kindness, and
during those terrible minutes that was very helpful and reassuring.
I’m pleased to tell you that the fast response has meant that Hilary
seems to have survived more-or-less intact. Her faculties improve every
day and she is now recovering nicely. After what happened it seems like
a miracle.
Please pass on my thanks to all the staff members involved.
(end)

After Hil's series of cardiac arrests and subsequent stroke it became
obvious that I needed to hand the business over to Paul and look after
her. Over the course of that year my dad (92 at the time) started to
deteriorate so by the Christmas I was the carer for both of them.

Of course it was massive change in my life, but surprisingly I adjusted
very well. The fact is I was getting fed up with work. I'd been
everywhere and got every Tee shirt, and physically I was finding it
harder and harder. For a couple of years I'd been concentrating on the
prison work, which I liked, but even that was beginning to pall.

Looking after two poorly people brought something out in me that I
didn't know I had. Luckily I quickly developed immunity to the feelings
of squeamishness that can be a problem for carers. I learnt to cook to a
very basic level, a skill that I completely lacked before.

Dad died the year before last and Hil has recovered enormously since her
stroke. We then had a tremendous upset over the death of my uncle (who
lived with us for a long time) because of the bizarre behaviour of his
children. After that we thought we were in for a period of plain sailing
but then I got prostate cancer! OK, moan over.

Bill

Sorry I raised the subject.
Old March 8th 18, 05:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 08/03/2018 16:46, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Oh no don't say that! I wasn't annoyed that you said anything, not in
the slightest. It was just that people often seem to think I'm still
working so I thought I'd make the position plain. Also I was having a
painful morning and I really felt like having a good moan.

Old March 8th 18, 06:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 08/03/2018 16:01, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 11:59:38 +0000, Davey wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 11:40:06 +0000
Peter Duncanson wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 10:46:51 +0100, Martin wrote:

I wasn't arguing with you, just regretting that Freesat Humax
doesn't have folders. My old Dutch Cable Humax also has folders.
Series are automatically put in a folder with current Humax Freesat.
That doesn't make it any easier to find a film, especially when BBC
insists on prefixing some new programmes with NEW:

The BBC is not alone in prefixing programme titles with "new".

I find that when I'm searching a list of recorded programmes I need to
think of the title with and without "The" at the beginning and with
and without "New".

The Customised Firmware I use with my HDR Fox T-2 has a package that
bypasses the 'new' additions to titles, so recorded programmes are
treated as though the word wasn't there. Very useful.

Not if you've recorded an edition of New Tricks.

--
Max Demian
Old March 8th 18, 08:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
[...]

Hope you're seeing some improvement Bill - and even more so, hope they got
all of the little sod.

James

Old March 11th 18, 12:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 10:46:51 +0100 Martin posted:

On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 21:14:38 -0000, Yellow wrote:

On Wed, 07 Mar 2018 11:07:02 +0100 Martin posted:

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:59:49 -0000, Yellow wrote:

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:19:48 +0000 Andrew Andrew97d-

I Only have a 300 Mb usb disk on my HD FOX T2 and it is about half full
but it would take me ages to view what I have recorded.

The answer to this is to create folders with a smaller number of folders
and files within - at least that is my solution. That way it only has to
index a few at time however many files on the disk in total.

The current Freesat Humax doesn't provide the facility to create folders.

But the HD FOX T2 does and as that is what the OP has my post could be
useful. Just trying to help.

I wasn't arguing with you, just regretting that Freesat Humax doesn't have
folders. My old Dutch Cable Humax also has folders. Series are automatically put
in a folder with current Humax Freesat. That doesn't make it any easier to find
a film, especially when BBC insists on prefixing some new programmes with NEW:

The "new" bit used to really hack me off but I actually now find it
useful with the smaller channels who repeat the same show over and over.

What I do not like though is that some channels increase the size of
their DOG to include "NEW". What is it is supposed to achieve once you
have located and are watching the programme?
Old March 11th 18, 03:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 14:47:17 +0100 Martin posted:

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 13:08:03 -0000, Yellow wrote:

[...]

They do it because they can, not in order to help the viewer.
I could rename recorded programmes with my old Dutch cable Humax. I could delete
prefixes like New.I can't do that with the current Humax.

That seem such a backwards step, given how nice their earlier models
were.

Mind you though, on my TalkTalk youView box, you cannot even manually
set up recordings or pad the time out so on the channels like Horror who
are always out you miss the end of all the shows.

Apparently it was a deliberate youView design decision to "make it easy
to use" so you just have to wonder what goes through these people's
heads.
Old March 11th 18, 03:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

T...

wrote:

[...]

Wind? Air? Anything since the cavity is obviously empty!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old March 11th 18, 05:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
critcher[_6_]

On 06/03/2018 10:55, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 10:10:25 +0000, Clive Page wrote:

On 05/03/2018 08:36, Bill Wright wrote:
I bought a Humax FVP-5000T 1TB receiver and because I'm incapacitated Paul installed it for me. This was three days ago and so far I'm very impressed by the receiver. Very fast to respond, very user friendly, really good clear graphics. I haven't found any programming oddities. Of course we downloaded new software. I miss the Freesat box's front panel display though.

The thing I find missing on current Humax PVRs is some way of locating quickly
something you have recorded once the 1TB starts to get full.

Thanks for your recommendation. We're thinking about getting a new video recorder to replace one that must be nearly 10 years old and won't do HD and has an annoying bug besides. But I'm bemused by the fact that the Humax models seem to come in two flavours: one which will do Freview but not Freesat, and the other Freesat but not Freeview. I have a TV that will receive both and we use both systems when necessary since, as you say, some channels are on and not the other. Also it's nice to have a bit of redundancy.

Can there be some technical reason that Humax doesn't produce a single box with both Freesat and Freeview tuners, or is it simply laziness on their part? That also seems unlikely, for the same reasons that most companies nowadays produce consumer products that e.g. cope with 120v and 240v mains - it's just easier to have one model that suits the whole world.

Which programmes are on Freeview that are not on Freesat, and are worth
watching?

If your disc is getting full, then you must be,like me, not watching
what you have recorded.I think there is a problem with HD recorders
where we never watch what we record and keep it "in case"
Old March 11th 18, 09:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 18:52:47 +0000 critcher
posted:

[...]

How is that a problem? You need to have a purge every now and again, but
so what?