A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

As planned I upgraded my TV equipment



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old March 7th 18, 02:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 159
Default As planned I upgraded my TV equipment

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 17:29:20 -0000 Woody
posted:

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:19:48 +0000 Andrew Andrew97d-
posted:

On 06/03/2018 13:09, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 06/03/2018 10:55, Martin wrote:

The thing I find missing on current Humax PVRs is some way of
locating
quickly
something you have recorded once the 1TB starts to get full.

At least the current Humaxes do recognise that the disc is
getting full.
I have an old one which had been set for several Series Record
actions
while I was on holiday, and according to the recorded programme
index
they are all there. However it clearly overfilled the disc and
reused
sections for each new recording overwriting something else.

So now I have stuff in the index which plays what it says is
recorded,
stuff in the index which plays part of the programme the index
says it
is, then part of a different programme entirely, and stuff in the
index
which hangs the entire machine and it has to be powered off, left
for a
couple of minutes and powered back on. The index entries that
hang the
machine can't be deleted because that attempt hangs the machine
again.

Having since replaced the corrupted machine so that I can record
again I
am very slowly going through the old stuff on the old machine so
that
when I have viewed everything still watchable I can reformat the
disc
and do a factory reset to get it usable again. Whether I will
actually
use it again is something I haven't decided.

Jim


I Only have a 300 Mb usb disk on my HD FOX T2 and it is about half
full
but it would take me ages to view what I have recorded.


The answer to this is to create folders with a smaller number of
folders
and files within - at least that is my solution. That way it only
has to
index a few at time however many files on the disk in total.


Much of what is recorded is available on iPlayer anyway, and
Netflix
and Amazon seem to have more interesting things anyway.


Trouble with iplayer as an alternative to routine recording is stuff
is
only available for a short amount of time so if you are not going to
watch it fairly quickly it will be gone.

[snip]

For iPlayer TV its 30/31 days.

For iPlayer radio it seems to be until the next edition of the
programme or until its repeat.

The News Quiz is broadcast at 18:30 on Friday on BBC R4, and repeated
on the same station at 12:28 on Saturday - whereafter it disappears
from iPlayer. Why for heavens sake?


Indeed. At the very least stuff should be made available for a month
after the last episode of the series is transmitted. But why not just
leave it available for a year. Or forever?
Ads
  #22  
Old March 7th 18, 05:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 117
Default As planned I upgraded my TV equipment


"Martin" wrote in message
...
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 21:39:48 -0000, "James Heaton"
wrote:


"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
...
On 06/03/2018 13:19, Andrew wrote:

I Only have a 300 Mb usb disk on my HD FOX T2 and it is about half full
but it would take me ages to view what I have recorded.

I said it was an old machine (a Humax 9150T) and the manual doesn't say
how big the disc is, but if I retain some interesting films in case I
want
to watch them again it quickly fills up.


Almost certainly a 160gb unless it's been upgraded.

Of which 8.something is reserved for the time slip function to
rewind/pause
while you're watching.

An hour of BBC is usually about 1.4gb


BBC HD


No these are non-HD boxes.

Just checked mine, e.g. 'Britain in Focus' 1.4gb;
Glasgow 1967 the lions of Lisbon - 2.1gb but sport is always bigger as a lot
of movement;
The Met Policing London 1.5gb

James

  #23  
Old March 7th 18, 05:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 117
Default As planned I upgraded my TV equipment


"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 17:29:20 -0000 Woody
posted:

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:19:48 +0000 Andrew Andrew97d-
posted:

On 06/03/2018 13:09, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 06/03/2018 10:55, Martin wrote:

The thing I find missing on current Humax PVRs is some way of
locating
quickly
something you have recorded once the 1TB starts to get full.

At least the current Humaxes do recognise that the disc is
getting full.
I have an old one which had been set for several Series Record
actions
while I was on holiday, and according to the recorded programme
index
they are all there. However it clearly overfilled the disc and
reused
sections for each new recording overwriting something else.

So now I have stuff in the index which plays what it says is
recorded,
stuff in the index which plays part of the programme the index
says it
is, then part of a different programme entirely, and stuff in the
index
which hangs the entire machine and it has to be powered off, left
for a
couple of minutes and powered back on. The index entries that
hang the
machine can't be deleted because that attempt hangs the machine
again.

Having since replaced the corrupted machine so that I can record
again I
am very slowly going through the old stuff on the old machine so
that
when I have viewed everything still watchable I can reformat the
disc
and do a factory reset to get it usable again. Whether I will
actually
use it again is something I haven't decided.

Jim


I Only have a 300 Mb usb disk on my HD FOX T2 and it is about half
full
but it would take me ages to view what I have recorded.

The answer to this is to create folders with a smaller number of
folders
and files within - at least that is my solution. That way it only
has to
index a few at time however many files on the disk in total.


Much of what is recorded is available on iPlayer anyway, and
Netflix
and Amazon seem to have more interesting things anyway.

Trouble with iplayer as an alternative to routine recording is stuff
is
only available for a short amount of time so if you are not going to
watch it fairly quickly it will be gone.

[snip]

For iPlayer TV its 30/31 days.

For iPlayer radio it seems to be until the next edition of the
programme or until its repeat.

The News Quiz is broadcast at 18:30 on Friday on BBC R4, and repeated
on the same station at 12:28 on Saturday - whereafter it disappears
from iPlayer. Why for heavens sake?


Indeed. At the very least stuff should be made available for a month
after the last episode of the series is transmitted. But why not just
leave it available for a year. Or forever?


Just looked now,
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00...pisodes/player
has episodes from 9th, 16th and 23rd Feb available.

There wasn't an episode last week as it's switched to the Now Show.

James

  #24  
Old March 7th 18, 08:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 159
Default As planned I upgraded my TV equipment

On Wed, 07 Mar 2018 11:07:02 +0100 Martin posted:

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:59:49 -0000, Yellow wrote:

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:19:48 +0000 Andrew Andrew97d-


I Only have a 300 Mb usb disk on my HD FOX T2 and it is about half full
but it would take me ages to view what I have recorded.


The answer to this is to create folders with a smaller number of folders
and files within - at least that is my solution. That way it only has to
index a few at time however many files on the disk in total.


The current Freesat Humax doesn't provide the facility to create folders.


But the HD FOX T2 does and as that is what the OP has my post could be
useful. Just trying to help.

  #25  
Old March 8th 18, 08:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 287
Default As planned I upgraded my TV equipment

On 06/03/2018 13:09, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 06/03/2018 10:55, Martin wrote:

The thing I find missing on current Humax PVRs is some way of locating
quickly
something you have recorded once the 1TB starts to get full.


At least the current Humaxes do recognise that the disc is getting full.
I have an old one which had been set for several Series Record actions
while I was on holiday, and according to the recorded programme index
they are all there. However it clearly overfilled the disc and reused
sections for each new recording overwriting something else.

So now I have stuff in the index which plays what it says is recorded,
stuff in the index which plays part of the programme the index says it
is, then part of a different programme entirely, and stuff in the index
which hangs the entire machine and it has to be powered off, left for a
couple of minutes and powered back on. The index entries that hang the
machine can't be deleted because that attempt hangs the machine again.

Having since replaced the corrupted machine so that I can record again I
am very slowly going through the old stuff on the old machine so that
when I have viewed everything still watchable I can reformat the disc
and do a factory reset to get it usable again. Whether I will actually
use it again is something I haven't decided.

Jim

On my Humax Foxsat HDR I can select an option either to stop recording
when full or keep recording over the oldest stuff.
--
Dave W
  #26  
Old March 8th 18, 09:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 649
Default As planned I upgraded my TV equipment

On Monday, 5 March 2018 08:36:33 UTC, wrote:
Regular readers of my fascinating missives will know that, annoyed by C4
HD leaving Freesat


It might have left the EPG, but last time I looked was still being broadcast FTA.

I vowed to add Freeview to my living room equipment.
I bought a Humax FVP-5000T 1TB receiver and because I'm incapacitated
Paul installed it for me.


I thought you were still scampering around on roofs fitting aerials?

This was three days ago and so far I'm very
impressed by the receiver. Very fast to respond, very user friendly,
really good clear graphics. I haven't found any programming oddities. Of
course we downloaded new software. I miss the Freesat box's front panel
display though.
The new box feeds the TV via HDMI 1. The Humax Freesat box and a
secondhand FTA 13E box feed HDMI2 via an automatic switch. Annoyingly
the two Humaxes share the same remote handset codes. However I intend to
use the Freesat box only when I want to watch different BBC and ITV
regions, and I won't routinely be using it for recording, so it is
switched off on the rear panel.
The 13E box is a curious beast. It is a Zgemma H.2S. It came to us from
a customer who had been sold it by someone running the Sky scam. It is
very small but appears to be good quality and well specified. The
on-screen help is remarkably comprehensive. The menus are labyrinthine
and allow literally hundreds of options, almost all of which I do not
understand. However I found a very good video about it on YouTube.
My main use for the box is Swiss Classic Radio, but I do like to have a
browse though the TV channels now and then. We watched a Moroccan HD
channel the other night, for quite a long time. I was astonished at the
picture quality during a home-grown drama. It was significantly better
than UK HD. There seemed to be more colour shades available. Fine
differences in colour were visible. How can this be I wonder?

Bill


  #27  
Old March 8th 18, 09:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,448
Default As planned I upgraded my TV equipment

On 08/03/2018 10:06, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

I vowed to add Freeview to my living room equipment.
I bought a Humax FVP-5000T 1TB receiver and because I'm incapacitated
Paul installed it for me.


I thought you were still scampering around on roofs fitting aerials?


Firstly I never 'scampered', not having the build or disposition for it.
Secondly I did very little roof work after about 2002. Thirdly I took
early retirement in March 2012 following an incident that caused me to
send the following to S Yorks Ambulance:

(extract)
My wife collapsed at home with no detectable pulse and no respiration. I
dialled 999 of course, and in what seemed like a remarkably short space
of time the fast response ambulance car came, the man bounding up our
stairs with his bag. The big ambulance arrived soon after.
Your staff were so quick and efficient in everything they did, that even
in my panic-stricken state I felt astonishment. There’s no doubt that
these people saved my wife’s life, and I can’t begin to express my
gratitude for that.
That covers the technical professionalism, but it went further than
that. They dealt with me, distraught as I was, with great kindness, and
during those terrible minutes that was very helpful and reassuring.
I’m pleased to tell you that the fast response has meant that Hilary
seems to have survived more-or-less intact. Her faculties improve every
day and she is now recovering nicely. After what happened it seems like
a miracle.
Please pass on my thanks to all the staff members involved.
(end)

After Hil's series of cardiac arrests and subsequent stroke it became
obvious that I needed to hand the business over to Paul and look after
her. Over the course of that year my dad (92 at the time) started to
deteriorate so by the Christmas I was the carer for both of them.

Of course it was massive change in my life, but surprisingly I adjusted
very well. The fact is I was getting fed up with work. I'd been
everywhere and got every Tee shirt, and physically I was finding it
harder and harder. For a couple of years I'd been concentrating on the
prison work, which I liked, but even that was beginning to pall.

Looking after two poorly people brought something out in me that I
didn't know I had. Luckily I quickly developed immunity to the feelings
of squeamishness that can be a problem for carers. I learnt to cook to a
very basic level, a skill that I completely lacked before.

Dad died the year before last and Hil has recovered enormously since her
stroke. We then had a tremendous upset over the death of my uncle (who
lived with us for a long time) because of the bizarre behaviour of his
children. After that we thought we were in for a period of plain sailing
but then I got prostate cancer! OK, moan over.

Bill
  #28  
Old March 8th 18, 10:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,272
Default As planned I upgraded my TV equipment

On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 10:46:51 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 21:14:38 -0000, Yellow wrote:

On Wed, 07 Mar 2018 11:07:02 +0100 Martin posted:

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:59:49 -0000, Yellow wrote:

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:19:48 +0000 Andrew Andrew97d-


I Only have a 300 Mb usb disk on my HD FOX T2 and it is about half full
but it would take me ages to view what I have recorded.

The answer to this is to create folders with a smaller number of folders
and files within - at least that is my solution. That way it only has to
index a few at time however many files on the disk in total.

The current Freesat Humax doesn't provide the facility to create folders.


But the HD FOX T2 does and as that is what the OP has my post could be
useful. Just trying to help.


I wasn't arguing with you, just regretting that Freesat Humax doesn't have
folders. My old Dutch Cable Humax also has folders. Series are automatically put
in a folder with current Humax Freesat. That doesn't make it any easier to find
a film, especially when BBC insists on prefixing some new programmes with NEW:


The BBC is not alone in prefixing programme titles with "ew".

I find that when I'm searching a list of recorded programmes I need to
think of the title with and without "The" at the beginning and with and
without "New".

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
  #29  
Old March 8th 18, 10:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,310
Default As planned I upgraded my TV equipment

On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 11:40:06 +0000
Peter Duncanson wrote:

On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 10:46:51 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 21:14:38 -0000, Yellow
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Mar 2018 11:07:02 +0100 Martin
posted:

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:59:49 -0000, Yellow
wrote:
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:19:48 +0000 Andrew Andrew97d-

I Only have a 300 Mb usb disk on my HD FOX T2 and it is about
half full but it would take me ages to view what I have
recorded.

The answer to this is to create folders with a smaller number of
folders and files within - at least that is my solution. That
way it only has to index a few at time however many files on the
disk in total.

The current Freesat Humax doesn't provide the facility to create
folders.

But the HD FOX T2 does and as that is what the OP has my post could
be useful. Just trying to help.


I wasn't arguing with you, just regretting that Freesat Humax
doesn't have folders. My old Dutch Cable Humax also has folders.
Series are automatically put in a folder with current Humax Freesat.
That doesn't make it any easier to find a film, especially when BBC
insists on prefixing some new programmes with NEW:


The BBC is not alone in prefixing programme titles with "ew".

I find that when I'm searching a list of recorded programmes I need to
think of the title with and without "The" at the beginning and with
and without "New".


The Customised Firmware I use with my HDR Fox T-2 has a package that
bypasses the 'new' additions to titles, so recorded programmes are
treated as though the word wasn't there. Very useful.

--
Davey.
  #30  
Old March 8th 18, 01:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,272
Default As planned I upgraded my TV equipment

On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 11:40:06 +0000, Peter Duncanson
wrote:

The BBC is not alone in prefixing programme titles with "ew".


?? I'm sure I typed "New".

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2018 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.