As planned I upgraded my TV equipment

Old March 6th 18, 12:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default As planned I upgraded my TV equipment

On 06/03/2018 10:10, Clive Page wrote:

Can there be some technical reason that Humax doesn't produce a single
box with both Freesat and Freeview tuners,

No

or is it simply laziness on
their part?

They will have assessed the likely sales and decided it's a no-no.

Just have both boxes.

Old March 6th 18, 12:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 06/03/2018 10:55, Martin wrote:

The thing I find missing on current Humax PVRs is some way of locating quickly
something you have recorded once the 1TB starts to get full.

At least the current Humaxes do recognise that the disc is getting full.
I have an old one which had been set for several Series Record actions
while I was on holiday, and according to the recorded programme index
they are all there. However it clearly overfilled the disc and reused
sections for each new recording overwriting something else.

So now I have stuff in the index which plays what it says is recorded,
stuff in the index which plays part of the programme the index says it
is, then part of a different programme entirely, and stuff in the index
which hangs the entire machine and it has to be powered off, left for a
couple of minutes and powered back on. The index entries that hang the
machine can't be deleted because that attempt hangs the machine again.

Having since replaced the corrupted machine so that I can record again I
am very slowly going through the old stuff on the old machine so that
when I have viewed everything still watchable I can reformat the disc
and do a factory reset to get it usable again. Whether I will actually
use it again is something I haven't decided.

Old March 6th 18, 12:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew[_6_]

On 06/03/2018 13:09, Indy Jess John wrote:
[...]

Jim

I Only have a 300 Mb usb disk on my HD FOX T2 and it is about half full
but it would take me ages to view what I have recorded.

Much of what is recorded is available on iPlayer anyway, and Netflix
and Amazon seem to have more interesting things anyway.

If you have ended up with 1G of recorded programs that you never had
time to watch when they were broadcast, how will you find the time
to watch them anyway ?.

Old March 6th 18, 12:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:19:48 +0000 Andrew Andrew97d-
posted:

[...]

The answer to this is to create folders with a smaller number of folders
and files within - at least that is my solution. That way it only has to
index a few at time however many files on the disk in total.

Much of what is recorded is available on iPlayer anyway, and Netflix
and Amazon seem to have more interesting things anyway.

Trouble with iplayer as an alternative to routine recording is stuff is
only available for a short amount of time so if you are not going to
watch it fairly quickly it will be gone.

If you have ended up with 1G of recorded programs that you never had
time to watch when they were broadcast, how will you find the time
to watch them anyway ?.

I record loads of stuff simply to give me a variety of options when I
want something to watch and if stuff ends up getting deleted unwatched -
who cares?
Old March 6th 18, 04:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
[...]

[snip]

For iPlayer TV its 30/31 days.

For iPlayer radio it seems to be until the next edition of the
programme or until its repeat.

The News Quiz is broadcast at 18:30 on Friday on BBC R4, and repeated
on the same station at 12:28 on Saturday - whereafter it disappears
from iPlayer. Why for heavens sake?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old March 6th 18, 06:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 06/03/2018 13:19, Andrew wrote:

I Only have a 300 Mb usb disk on my HD FOX T2 and it is about half full
but it would take me ages to view what I have recorded.

I said it was an old machine (a Humax 9150T) and the manual doesn't say
how big the disc is, but if I retain some interesting films in case I
want to watch them again it quickly fills up.

Old March 6th 18, 07:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Woody wrote:

The News Quiz is broadcast at 18:30 on Friday on BBC R4, and repeated
on the same station at 12:28 on Saturday - whereafter it disappears
from iPlayer. Why for heavens sake?

Download the podcast, (using your automatic method of choice) you
can then keep it as long as you like.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old March 6th 18, 08:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 06/03/2018 13:19, Andrew wrote:

I Only have a 300 Mb usb disk on my HD FOX T2 and it is about half full
but it would take me ages to view what I have recorded.

I said it was an old machine (a Humax 9150T) and the manual doesn't say
how big the disc is, but if I retain some interesting films in case I want
to watch them again it quickly fills up.

Almost certainly a 160gb unless it's been upgraded.

Of which 8.something is reserved for the time slip function to rewind/pause
while you're watching.

An hour of BBC is usually about 1.4gb

An hour of Channel 5 about 0.8gb

I've got a couple of those with 500gb disks, and usually run out of slots
before I run out of disk, but I do record radio as well. (They have max 512
slots, of which 1 is taken for the time slip, so 511 recordable slots)

James

Old March 6th 18, 09:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 06/03/2018 21:39, James Heaton wrote:

"Indy Jess wrote in message
On 06/03/2018 13:19, Andrew wrote:

I Only have a 300 Mb usb disk on my HD FOX T2 and it is about half full
but it would take me ages to view what I have recorded.

I said it was an old machine (a Humax 9150T) and the manual doesn't say
how big the disc is, but if I retain some interesting films in case I want
to watch them again it quickly fills up.

Almost certainly a 160gb unless it's been upgraded.

It was a prize from a local radio phone-in. I would guess it would be
minimum spec.

Old March 6th 18, 10:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Tue, 06 Mar 2018 13:19:48 +0000, Andrew wrote:

[...]

Depending on the TV station, that 150MB or so's worth of recordings
would only represent some 10 to 15 minutes worth of 'viewing time' for an
SD broadcast (even less for HD broadcasts).

Much of what is recorded is available on iPlayer anyway, and Netflix and
Amazon seem to have more interesting things anyway.

If you have ended up with 1G of recorded programs that you never had
time to watch when they were broadcast, how will you find the time to
watch them anyway ?.

That suggests your "300MB usb disk" *wasn't* a typo/brainfart for "300GB
usb disk" after all. You *really* must have very little free time to
watch a Gigabyte's worth of Freeview/Freesat SD quality TV programming.
Are you sure you can't spare the hour or two typically needed to catchup
on a Gigabyte's worth of SD recordings?

--
Johnny B Good