snow affecting reception

Old March 2nd 18, 01:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default snow affecting reception

At the moment the air temperature is well below freezing and there's a
bit of wind, so the powdery snow isn't piling up on TV aerials. However
if conditions change and the TV aerials get little piles of snow and ice
on them reception will be affected. Horizontally polarised aerials are
affected far more than VP ones. A few years ago we were inundated with
calls about poor or no reception. The cause was snow piled on the
aerials. Obviously nothing could be done except wait for a thaw.
We have seen some build-up of snow on dishes in the mast few days, but
nothing much.
A lot of CCTV cameras are out of action. It seems that the gentle heat
from the heater inside the housing causes some melt on the glass, but
then more and more snow blows on and sticks. Eventually, when the snow
stops the lump of solid snow drops off.

Old March 2nd 18, 07:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes some time ago somebody tried to take a council to court due to what they
said was a dent in the bonnet caused by a large lump of ice falling off the
light section of a lamppost they parked under. Since the lump melted before
anyone could see it the driver did not get any money, but it all goes to
prove that if there is reincarnation its probably best to come back as a
lawyer.

news

Old March 2nd 18, 09:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 2 March 2018 02:13:57 UTC, wrote:
At the moment the air temperature is well below freezing and there's a
bit of wind, so the powdery snow isn't piling up on TV aerials. However
if conditions change and the TV aerials get little piles of snow and ice
on them reception will be affected. Horizontally polarised aerials are
affected far more than VP ones. A few years ago we were inundated with
calls about poor or no reception. The cause was snow piled on the
aerials. Obviously nothing could be done except wait for a thaw.
We have seen some build-up of snow on dishes in the mast few days, but
nothing much.
A lot of CCTV cameras are out of action. It seems that the gentle heat
from the heater inside the housing causes some melt on the glass, but
then more and more snow blows on and sticks. Eventually, when the snow
stops the lump of solid snow drops off.

Bill

Not as bad as my (1.2m Gregorian) satellite dish, however a protective bag over the head end reduces losses unless the snow is wet and sticky.
Old March 2nd 18, 09:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 2 March 2018 08:20:25 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes some time ago somebody tried to take a council to court due to what they
said was a dent in the bonnet caused by a large lump of ice falling off the
light section of a lamppost they parked under. Since the lump melted before
anyone could see it the driver did not get any money, but it all goes to
prove that if there is reincarnation its probably best to come back as a
lawyer.
Brian

The fence between heaven and hell fell down again and God and the devil were arguing about who was going to fix it. God complained that he had fixed it the previous hundred times and it must be the devil's turn. The devil told him to **** off and if he wanted the fence fixing he should do it himself. God then threaten to sue the devil. The devil laughed and said "where are you ever going to find a lawyer on your side?"

Old March 2nd 18, 01:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 02/03/2018 02:13, Bill Wright wrote:

At the moment the air temperature is well below freezing and there's a
bit of wind, so the powdery snow isn't piling up on TV aerials. However
if conditions change and the TV aerials get little piles of snow and ice
on them reception will be affected. Horizontally polarised aerials are
affected far more than VP ones. A few years ago we were inundated with
calls about poor or no reception. The cause was snow piled on the
aerials. Obviously nothing could be done except wait for a thaw.
We have seen some build-up of snow on dishes in the mast few days, but
nothing much.

Do they have electrically heated aerials in cold countries?

--
Max Demian
Old March 3rd 18, 09:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 03/03/2018 08:59, Brian Gaff wrote:
Not that I am aware of, but you can get ruggedised ones for severe
environments. J-Beam used to do Multibeams like this, but they tended to be
quite heavy.

As used by broadcasters. Very heavy.

Old March 3rd 18, 10:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Max
Demian
wrote:

Do they have electrically heated aerials in cold countries?

That prompts me to wonder: How much of the RF power given to the antennas
actually heats them up as a result of the antenna having a non-zero
resistance?

JIm

Old March 7th 18, 09:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Max
Demian scribeth thus
On 02/03/2018 02:13, Bill Wright wrote:

At the moment the air temperature is well below freezing and there's a
bit of wind, so the powdery snow isn't piling up on TV aerials. However
if conditions change and the TV aerials get little piles of snow and ice
on them reception will be affected. Horizontally polarised aerials are
affected far more than VP ones. A few years ago we were inundated with
calls about poor or no reception. The cause was snow piled on the
aerials. Obviously nothing could be done except wait for a thaw.
We have seen some build-up of snow on dishes in the mast few days, but
nothing much.

Do they have electrically heated aerials in cold countries?

Yes for some pro aerials it can be specified..

Wasn't done on this one;!

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallery...121&pageid=731

--
Tony Sayer